Beautiful Rem

Confusion

As he pushed his lips against mine, all I could think about was ‘Why?’. I’m just an elf and he’s a faery! He’s gorgeous and I’m not. I never even thought about having feelings for him, but with his soft lips massaging mine I was starting to change my mind.

I pulled away, “Please Gretch, tell me, why?” In response to that I got another deep kiss. I pulled away again.

“How long have you liked me?” I said looking into his eyes. He turned his head and let go of me.

“I don’t know, when I met you?” he said scratching his head looking down.

“But why?” I asked a look of pure confusion must’ve been of my face.

“Why? Because I love you.” He got up and left leaving me sitting there dumbfounded.

He left me there sitting at the kitchen table with so many questions buzzing in my head I could’ve exploded.

“What the hell?! That’s not an answer!!” I screamed and I kicked the door. I hope he didn’t hear or see that. I growled and punched the wall.

“Why does everything have to be so fucking complicated?!” I screamed tears pouring down my face. I wiped my face quickly and ran into my room. I screamed into my pillow for a while before I felt light headed and passed out.

“Nevelyn,” I opened my eyes to a sweet voice in my ear. I sat up and looked around but no one was there.

I groaned and pulled my fingers through my hair. Of course it was a rat’s nest and my fingers got stuck. I got up and walked to my mirror.

I stared at myself, longing to know why he would like me. I had long wavy blond hair. It wasn’t golden it was bright yellowy white, sort of a platinum color. I had large green eyes and a small pointy nose. My ears stuck out of my thick hair and I had long dangly limbs. I had no boobs, because elves were originally archers. Boobs get in the way. Too bad I can’t shoot an arrow to save my life. I had very pale skin, except for my pink cheeks. My lips were normal not pouty or big, just regular. All and all I had good features, but not faery features. I sighed and tried to run my fingers through my knotty hair again. I failed.

‘I’m not going let him distract me from my work!’ I thought with a triumphant smile spreading across my face.

I decided I was going to sit outside and contemplate where I was going with the case. I opened my kitchen door and walked my bare feet towards a hill covered in wild flowers. The wind blew through my hair softly and I inhaled the smells of spring. This place is so much like where I lived in Rem. The trees, the smells, the flowers, the wind, are almost identical. Sometimes that makes me feel better, but sometimes it makes me feel worse. Thankfully my new dilemma does not have to do with family so the feeling of home makes tuck my troubles in a corner for a while.

I closed my eyes and twirled around. I purposely fell on a gathering of clovers and cuddled up to it.

“Nevelyn,” a playful masculine voice whispered in my ear. I bolted upright and searched the hill, wide eyed, for someone playing games with me. I gave up and settled my body into a cross-legged position. I closed my eyes and began to brainstorm, but every time I started getting somewhere in the case I would switch the subject to Gretch.

I need to find him, and talk to him. It will be awfully hard to finish this case when he’s nowhere to be seen.
I got up and decided I’ll go to the small French home again. I got into my piece of crap Suzuki XL7 and drove down my long driveway. It took me a couple hours on the highway before I turned and stopped at a gothic gate. I swiftly got out of my car and quickly looked around before I softly touched the huge pad lock and it broke in half and dropped onto the ground. I smirked and pushed the gate open wide enough for my small SUV to drive through.

I drove down the long driveway. The only sound was the crinkling of the rocks underneath the tires of my car. I came to a small cottage like home and stopped my car. This house was abandoned so I didn’t have to go through the hassle of homeowners complaining about IDs. I had been so spaced out while I was driving here I didn’t notice that it was pouring. I grimaced and walked to the backyard. The cherry tree was still there, but its branches were bare. I picked my foot up to walk forward but it was harder then usual because the thick mud. I scrunched up my nose and kept walking. I wonder what this place was like in the spring? I looked around and imagined the dirty ground a bright green and the naked trees to be filled with lots of other pretty colors. It was pretty hard in this weather. I walked around for a while finding nothing interesting.

“Auuhhh!” I screamed kicking the ground angrily.

My foot collided with something solid and when I was trying to save myself I slipped and fell hard in the mud. The worst part was that my face hit something really hard. I groaned and picked my muddy and now sore face. I grew angry and I dug for what ever I hit angry that it was there. It was the reason for me being cold, dirty and aching.

They were shoes. They were fancy white shoes but it was hard to tell because of the mud. I picked them up and stared at them. I wiped the mud off them some more. Then it hit me, these are the little girl’s shoes!

“Yes!” I cried out, “This is my break in the case” I got up quickly and ran to my car. I whimpered a little bit at the thought of my getting covered in mud, but I got in the car in hurry anyway.

I sped down the driveway and through the iron gate. I was grinning ear to ear. Something is actually going to make sense. I need to get this processed. I smiled and thought of my geek buddy Soven. He’ll definitely help me with this.

When I got to his house I burst through his door and yelled,

“Soven? Where are you? I need you to process some evidence!” As my singsong voice echoed through his house I could hear feet shuffling down stairs and before I knew it a short scruffy person was in front of me. I smiled at this three-feet tall, chubby creature. He was a Goblin. There are many types of Goblins. There’s the Frinku, the classic green, ugly thing mortals talk about on Halloween, the Flintu, the short ugly purple creatures that dig for treasure constantly, and then there’s Jambla. That’s what Soven is. The Jambla are short, hairy, and incredibly smart. They’re not the smartest creatures in Rem but they’re pretty close.

“What sh-shall I do f-for you Nevelyn?” He asked quietly stumbling over his words nervously.

“Can you find any traces of immortal DNA on these shoes?” I asked.

“Of course!” He held out his dirty looking hands for the shoes but I didn’t give them to him instead I said, “Can I come with you and watch you in the lab? This case is really important to me.”

“Of c-course!” He said again happily and he led me to his lab. I’ve never seen his lab before and it surprised me. I thought his lab would be a mess of broken beakers and chemicals spilling everywhere. But his lab was incredibly clean and in color-coded order. He grinned at my good reaction to his lab and motioned for me to keep walking. We came to a room with big machines and microscopes. Soven dropped the shoes on the counter and started gathering tools.

“You can sit next to me” he said. He pressed a button a small remote and a chair appeared. I whispered a ‘thank you’ and I sat down. He dipped his cue-tip in some kind of liquid and swabbed the right shoe. He did the same with the left. Then he dripped a different liquid on the swabs and they turned green. He chuckled in excitement and picked up the cue-tips quickly and put them into a machine.

“What happened?” I said just excited as he was.

“I found immortal DNA! Now I just need to figure out what type.” He said smiling at me with rotten teeth.

“How long will it take?” I asked. I really hope it won’t take long because I happen to be one of the most impatient elves in Rem. Well, at least that what my mum’s always said.

“About an hour. In the mean time we could have some Raydomski.” Soven answered handing me a mug filled with steaming orange liquid.

“Thank you so much Soven!” I hugged him tightly causing him to turn a bright pink. I took the Raydomski and walked back into his living room. He followed me.

“S-so why do you want this DNA so badly?” Soven asked.

“Well, I’ve been having some dreams about this girl getting kidnapped by an immortal being. I looked into it more and I discovered that my dream was true and it had been happening to thousands of other children too.” I explained to him. He nodded and we sat in silence drinking are sweet orange Raydomski.

© Brenna Joyce 2008
♠ ♠ ♠
I changed my first chapter. I made the story of the cherry tree a dream but it's still true.

Anyways I really hope you guys comment because I really like this story and only like 5 people read it last time and the only person who commented was Shea because I told her to read it. :( Please comment some helping critism or opinions. :D