Status: One shot; Complete.

You Got Me If You Want Me

Get With You

My body moved in sync to the beat. The music pounded through my head and I laughed, sipping from my drink.

“I love this!” My voice screamed over the music .

I looked over at the girl beside me; towering over me with her 5’9” frame, chocolate brown hair and piercing blue eyes. She gave me a bright smile and wrapped her arm around my shoulders.

Her recognizable voice yelled back, “Glad you’re having fun.”

To say this wasn’t my scene was an understatement. I was that girl who’d be shut up in her room studying right now, if my college acquired friend wouldn’t have brought me along; Karoline was a bubbly individual who lived for the party scene. If I hadn’t met her in my biology class, I’m sure we would’ve never crossed paths. We were polar opposites, but we got along perfectly; like two peas in a pod.

“Come on Cady!” She pulled my arm as the song quieted.

I got pulled through more people than I’ve probably ever spoken to in my life, and I found us in front of the bar. She slipped into a stool, and I made my way beside her. Karoline order two glasses of something, and within moments, the glasses were placed in front of us. I picked up the bright coloured liquid and swished it around in my glass before drowning it. The strong feel of the alcohol burned my throat as it made it’s way down. I blinked back a set of watery eyes as I shot a smile over at Karoline.

I wiped my brow from the obtained sweat from the dance floor as we sat in silence aside from the booming of the music around us.

The two of us sat for a few more moments, just taking in the scene; Karoline sat cool and collected, while my knee bounced up and down as a giddy smile plastered my face –but I soon noticed Karoline getting swept off her chair by someone. I looked over to see her motioning that she’d be back in a minute. My smile slipped off my face as I let out a sigh; pushing my blond locks behind my ear.

It was always like this. Karoline always got the guy, whether it was the boy I was secretly crushing on in our class, or the one who happened to bump into us in the cafeteria. She was my friend though, so it’s not like I’d hate on her, but it did get lonesome being ditched many of our times out together.

Just as I was thinking that, and running my hand through my bangs, which I found to be too long as of late, I noticed a presence creep in beside me, in Karoline’s recently emptied seat. I let my hair fall from my hand as I set my hand down on my thigh. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the person who was beside me; a man, probably two years older than me, with brown hair. From what I could see he didn’t seem too bad to look at either...

I was soon met by a charming voice coming from that very man, “And what’s your name?”
I glanced to my left, looking at the man for a brief second. He was toying with drink in his hand as his tongue traced his lips, “Cady.” My shyness seeped through my one word answer.
“Max Talbot.” He spoke cockily, as if I’d asked his name in return. I nodded slightly, just to let him know I heard him. “So,” His voice faded out, holding the word. “What are you doing here alone?”
“I’m not actually,” I turned to fully face him. As I did so, I met his deep brown eyes, which showed what seemed to be genuine curiosity. “I’m with my friend,” I said, pointing my thumb in the direction of the dance floor.
“Ahhhh,” His voice spoke, which I now noticed contained a swelling French accent. The man, Max, now turned back to the bar for a moment, just to yell, “Can I have another drink here for the lady.”
He turned back to me as I rubbed my palms together, whose sweat showed my nerves. I wasn’t used to this attention. “Uhmmm,” I paused, thinking of how to respond to his bold actions. If there’s one thing I’m not, it’s bold. “It’s really okay; no need t-” But the sound of a drink getting slid in front of me cut me off.

I paused again for a moment, which Max took as his opportunity to move. As he saw my lack of attempt to grab the drink, he picked it up himself and shoved it into my hands. As the drink released from his finger tips, he waved his hand in a fashion that screamed, ‘no big deal.’

We sat in a peaceful silence, as far as clubs can go, as I took to sipping on my drink -it would be rude to leave it after all.-

As I set my empty glass back on the bar table in front of me, Max’s eager, yet chill and charming voice spoke, “D’you wanna dance?”

My answer almost slipped off of my lips immediately, with that being ‘No,’ but I quickly glanced over to the dance floor, seeing Karoline still dancing with that same man. It didn’t look like she’d be stopping anytime soon. So I said ‘Screw it,’ to my inner conscience which was yelling at me to stay in my comfort zone, and I got up, finally answering the boy, “Why not.”

Max jumped out of his stool and immediately grabbed my hand within his, leading me to the dance floor as he toyed with my fingers.

We made our way to the dance floor, and upon entrance I stood for a moment, unsure of what to do. Seeing this, Max spun me around; getting my back to face his front, and dropped my hands from his as they found a new spot on my waist. We both found the beat of the song and moved to it.

After several songs, maybe 6 or 7, Max’s lips found their way to my neck. He kissed it a few times softly before nibbling.

“’Ey, do you wanna get out of here?” His voice spoke, much more huskily than I heard before. I tensed for a moment, as his fingers slowly started sliding my shirt up; leaving bare skin for him to touch.

I spun around, almost weaving myself out of his grip before looking up to his frame, which towered over mine and replying, “I’m not that kind of girl.” I, then, turned away from him and walked out of the club, making sure to let him know I meant what I said.

Maybe there was a reason I didn’t go out to clubs.

-*-

“Come on Cady, you’ll have fun!” Karoline’s voice whined.
I shook my head from my position on my bed, “Not happening tonight.” I paused, “I don’t feel like nursing a killer hangover or dealing with crazy drunks, and I have to study anyways; midterms are coming up.”
“Cady,” My friend spoke seriously, “You don’t even have to drink if you don’t want to,” it almost sounded like it pained the girl to say it; heck it probably did, she lived like a cliché college student with her drinking and partying. “And midterms aren’t for another three weeks! Come on girl: live a little!” I just continued to shake my head, and even added crossed arms across my chest to show the confidence in my choice. “But Cady,” Karoline spoke, putting much emphasis on ‘A’ in my name, “It’s my birthday and I want to have fun, and how can I have fun without my best friend on my birthday?!”
Again, I showed my resistance, “Go find some guy to hang out with, Kar, I’m sure it wouldn’t be hard for you; you look stunning.” I nodded at her sequenced top and fitted jeans.
“Nope,” She popped the ‘P,’ “You’re coming.”

And apparently, the decision was made like that. Karoline got an outfit out of her closet –since mine was mostly filled with sweatpants and oversized sweatshirts. – She shoved the clothes at me and slammed the door of my bedroom leaving me to get ready. I shrugged as I let out a sigh. Might as well do this; it is her birthday after all.

Within twenty minutes, we were at the club. We entered the doors – similar to the time three weeks ago when she dragged me out here,- and were greeted by the same pounding music and flashing lights. The two of us made our way over to the bar; Karoline grabbed some sort of brightly coloured alcoholic drink, while I stuck to a pop. We drowned those before heading onto the dance floor.

Before I knew it, Karoline was getting pulled away by a looker who asked her to dance. She mouthed, ‘One minute,’ but I knew it would be longer than that. So I made my way over to the bar and sat myself down on one of the stools. I ordered another pop and was swirling around the liquid in my cup when I noticed someone sit beside me.

I glanced up to see those memorable brown eyes.

Max.

As quickly as I looked up though, I looked back down at my drink. But I didn’t get away with it; the boy noticed.

“Cady?” He asked. A new tone came through in his voice; shyness, maybe even a bit of awkwardness, “I’m sorry, aout the other week.” He paused, “I really didn’t mean to do that; to pull you out of your comfort zone I mean...” I just rolled my eyes, “Really!”
I just shook my head, “I’ve heard stories about you Max, and sorry, I don’t want to just be another notch on your belt.” I surprised myself by how strong my voice was coming out. It seemed like my natural shyness had disappeared. Normally the only person I’d be this straight forward with would be Karoline.
“Really, I’m sorry.” Max said, looking down at the ground.
I shrugged him off, “Whatever. Go find some slut to sleep with then, I’m sure you have your choice here.” I nodded towards the pile of girls on the dance floor who wore no more than what need be.
“No.” Suddenly the firmness I recognized from my last night out appeared in his voice.

I ignored him as I jumped down from the bar stool and started walking through the dance floor, headed towards the door.

“Wait,” Max rushed up beside me and grabbed my hand. As I stopped moving, he dropped it. “I’m sorry, Cady. Really, I am. I just want you to know that.”

I’m not sure what, but something made me wait; I surprised myself by not continuing on my storming path. I turned around to face the boy, and something clicked: he really did mean it.

I gave him a small smile, “Thank you.”

And the I spun around, and walked out right out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
I started this about a year ago, and just found it on my computer yesterday so thought I might as well finish it. This was originally for a contest.

It didn't turn out how I planned it, but I think it turned out fairly well.

I hope you enjoyed, and don't forget to tell me what you think!

-1859 words.-