Platitude

Subway

My new house came closer into view with every step I took. I had only walked two blocks and that was a good thing too. The air was getting colder and the moon had replaced the sun. I was relieved to see the light in the living room on when I arrived at the front step and saw a welcome mat. My mom must have placed it there after she came home from my aunt’s. I opened the door and saw my parents sitting on boxes on the living room. “Nice seats,” I said sarcastically. “Know where I can get one? I actually think I saw a sale for them at the local garbage dump down the block.”

“Very funny,” my mom said. She looked like she wanted to laugh but held it in due to the childish nature of my joke. “Your father told me that you went out. Did you meet anybody?”

I nodded my head while sinking to the floor and lying sprawled out. I tucked my hands underneath my head and smiled. “I did actually. I met these four guys that were really nice to me. They made me feel right at home.”

My mom clasped her hands at my words. “Oh Frankie! I’m so glad.”

My dad grinned and grabbed my mom’s hand. “Bet you’re glad that I suggested the little walk, eh?”

I blushed. “Yeah I appreciate that. And urm, what about supper?”

“We’ve decided to go out out,” Mom said. “Where do you want to go Frankie?”

“Subway!” I yelled.

Dad laughed. “I knew that Linda, you didn’t even have to ask the kid.”

“They have the best cookies,” I said defensively.

“Come on,” my dad said while standing up and helping my mother off of the box. “We can go in my truck.”
--

When we got to Subway, I jumped out of the truck and ran into the place. I was hit with the wonderful smell and I licked my lips. Besides me and my parents and the workers, we were the only people there. I quickly slid my way to the nearest booth and plopped down on it.

“Usual?” My mom asked. I nodded my head and she went to go order while my dad came and sat with me.

“I wonder why this place is so empty,” my dad said while looking around. “Maybe they all went to Blimpie.”

I didn’t know if I wanted to laugh at my dad or smack him in the face. “Dad, you do know that it’s nearly eleven o’clock? I’m honestly surprised this place is still open, but I’m grateful nevertheless.”

Before my dad could answer, my mom came back with our food and three large drinks. I eagerly grabbed my Veggie Delight and unwrapped it. My parents did the same with the subs. After a few moments of silence, my mom spoke. “This place closes at midnight, just a heads up. The guy at the cash register said that we could stay as long as we wanted though; I thought that was rather nice of him. He was in dire need of a haircut though.”

I laughed. I don’t know how many times my mom had told me that I needed a haircut. I couldn’t count how many times I would incidentally find a pair of scissors underneath my pillow. I was curious to see the guy she was talking about. I turned around from my seat and looked to the register. I nearly dropped all the food out of my mouth as I did.

Standing there in all black and looking rather sulky, was Gerard. “I know him!”

“How?” My mom asked me in between bites.

“He was one of the guys I met while I went out for a walk. He has a brother too even though they don’t look anything alike?”

“Adopted, perhaps?” My dad suggested with a shrug.

“Nah, they just don’t look similar.”

“Why don’t you go up and talk to him?” My mom said with an encouraging smile that matched her voice.

“Let me finish eating this cookie.” I hastily chewed the last savory bits before swallowing and taking a sip of my soda. “Do I have anything on my face? Chocolate or anything?”

Both my parents checked over and shook their head. “You like fine Frank,” my dad said.

“Well good,” I said while sliding out of the seat. “I’ll be back in a sec.” I walked up to the cash register and saw that Gerard was idly staring down at the counter. It looked like he was texting. He didn’t even notice when I was right at the counter until I loudly said hi.

He looked up and his eyes got big before he smiled. “Frank! I didn’t expect too see you so soon. I’m glad you’re here.”

“I thought you said that you didn’t have a job?”

“I said I didn’t have a real job. You know like working in an office and making a shitload of cash. I work here at night sometimes and on the weekends.”

“You’re in college, right?”

He smiled. “Art yeah.”

“What’s that like?”

“It’s pretty good. I love it. The only thing that sucks about it is that it costs so much to stay in college. I did get a scholarship but that doesn’t even cover an inch of it.” Gerard’s hazel eyes were shining and he seemed really happy. You could tell he was dedicated to college.

“So I assume you’re an artist. What kind of things do you paint?” I asked while casually perching myself on the counter so that my legs were on Gerard’s side and my back was facing the entrance of the door.

“You shouldn’t be sitting there,” he said with a smirk.

I stuck my tongue out and blew a raspberry at him. “It looks like you’re the only person working here.”

“I probably am. Everybody else hates working the night shift so that’s why I took the offer up.” He shrugged. “That’s fine with me. I’m more a night person. And I like to paint all kind of things. I’m mostly into comics and graphics. You know, that kind of stuff.”

I nodded my head taking in all the information. “I would love to see some of your work.”

“If you’re still interested in coming over, I can show you my stuff. The house we were in front of is my parent’s house.”

“You still live with your parents?”

Gerard blushed and I instantly regretted asking him that. He awkwardly removed his bangs from his face and looked back at me. “Well, yeah. It’s not easy going and out and buying a new house. I’ve also got tons of loans to pay and plus I just couldn’t imagine leaving Mikey,” he said in a rushed voice.

“It’s cool, I understand. I told my parents that I would live with them until my band became internationally famous,” I said while giggling. “They said fat chance.”

Gerard’s eyes lighted up in interest. “You’re in a band?”

“Well, I was. In my old town me and my friends would get together and jam. But since I’ve moved, I have a bad feeling that I probably won’t be seeing them much more often. I play the guitar and that’s about it. I do sing sometimes, but it gets varied reactions. It doesn’t really bother me too much.”

“Yeah, that’s cool. Mikey plays bass and holy shit, this is going to sound weird, but all the guys play an instrument.”

“Really!?” I said while straightening up. “Do you do anything?”

Gerard turned crimson once again and checked his watch. “I sing.”

“That’s so cool!”

He shyly smiled. “Thanks. And I hate to break it to you, but I got to close up the place.”

Frowning, I hopped off the counter. “Do you need any help?”

“No thanks,” he said while turning the register off. He reached down and he came back up with a bag full of cookies. “Here,” he said while putting them in my hand. “Take these as a treat from me.”

“Really? Aw, you’re so sweet Gerard!”

He modestly shrugged. “It’s the least I can do. It’s always nice to talk to someone.”

“Well I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Touché,” he said.

I had a weird since of déjà vu before I had realized where I had heard that. “Is that your favorite word or something?”

“I like to pretend I know French.”

“Oh,” I said. “Well I hope you learn more words.”

“Smartass.”

I turned around and walked back to my parents. I waved to Gerard and he waved back before going to the back.

“Did you have a good time?” My mom asked.

I nodded my head. “Yeah, Gerard’s a pretty cool guy.”

“Oh dear, I hope you suggested that he get a haircut or something.”

My dad laughed before he stood up, followed by my mom. “Where did you get those cookies?”

“Oh!” I had almost forgotten that I had them. “Gerard gave them to me.”

“That was nice of him,” my dad said while getting out the car keys. “C’mon, I think it’s about time we head home.”

My dad held the door open for my mom as we walked out. I was soon after her and quickly climbed in the trunk. My dad put the car in drive and I rested my head against the window. A yawn escaped from my mouth and I felt sleepy. My eyelids felt heavy and all I wanted was to go to sleep. But as soon as I closed my eyes, I saw Gerard.

I didn’t know if that was a good thing or not.
♠ ♠ ♠
1615 Words.

Today is my mibbaversary! :D I've been on here for 4 years today. :3 I'm a little surprised that I got this updated so fast, but I'm happy with it!

And special thanks to elmoisemo6 for commenting!