Teenage Dirtbag

Don't Try to Hustle Me

She started screaming—no words, just letting out intensified aggravation. She kicked and punched at the trees. I did my best to ignore her antics, but after several long minutes, it stopped. I looked over my shoulder and saw her in the snow, face down, with blood slowly coloring the snow around her. I shot up and ran to her; several others followed me to her. She climbed one of the trees to shake the snow off of the branches. She must have fallen out. The snow was covering a bunch of rocks that line a part of the shoal. She fell from a good thirty feet and immediately hit the rocks.

Of course you think it sounds like murder. You’re an idiot.

Let the courts decide? Decide what? All your evidence from the scene will show that no one of us touched her. Your coroner will show what injuries caused her death—an accidental death of her own doing.

I can’t feel guilty for the actions I didn’t commit.

Will I miss her? No, I’ve already lived a year without her. I’m used to not spending time with her. It’ll be weird to not see her at all, but I’m not going to miss her.

Of course I feel bad for her family! What the fuck is wrong with you? Why are you even still badgering me? Are you that shitty of police officers? Accept the damn truth and go do your paperwork.

You know what? I dare you to. I want you to send me to court. Go ahead. Waste the state’s money on sending me to court and paying numerous officials to do the paperwork and searching that you’re obviously too incompetent to do.

What’s that paper?

It’s from your buddy, obviously it’s important.

Why am I curious? Oh, I don’t know—YOU’RE JUST TRYING TO CHARGE ME FOR FIRST DEGREE MURDER.

I’m not the one who’s disgusting. You’re disgusting. You don’t care about the truth and you don’t really care about what happened to Marci, you just want a higher conviction rate. You want to be more impressive to your boss. You want to know what happened to her? Go check out your coroner’s report. Go look at the other statements. No one is going to confess or point fingers because no one killed her.

Our crime isn’t murder. If you can charge us for blatant apathy, go ahead. But don’t forget that I called the police—that I immediately called for help for her. Don’t forget that I rolled her over because I hoped to keep her breathing. I couldn’t feel her pulse, but I was shitty in my scrubs class, so I rolled her over and did mouth-to-mouth and tried to get her heart pumping again, but she was gone when she made contact with the rocks.

That’s why I have her blood on me, you twisted pervert. I didn’t like her, but I still tried to save her. What can you say? That you tried to convict a girl who did her best to make up for her apathy? I felt apathy because she hurt me so much in the last few years. I didn’t want to be her friend anymore; she hurt me whenever she could. But did I want her to die? No. That’s why I tried to save her. But she was dead.

That’s what you can tell her family. That I tried to save her. You can tell them that I ignored her screaming at me and calling us “punk assholes” and “stupid faggots,” but that I did rush to her when I saw her in trouble. You know what? No. I want to tell them. I want to tell them that she was insulting me, so no, I didn’t pay attention when she climbed into the tree and shook a bunch of stone and branches onto me. But I did pay attention when she fell and I did my best to help save her. I called the police. I called for an ambulance. I did the mouth-to-mouth and chest pressing.

Why was I a crying mess?

I just saw someone I knew die. I see that shit on CSI all the time, but I’ve never had to be the one to try and do the right thing during a horrible time. And I did the right thing. I did all I could, but she was already gone before I could even get up.

Changing my story?

You fucking retard! I’ve been telling you that we didn’t hurt her! I just added that I tried to save her since you picked at all the blood on me! Why the hell aren’t you fired? If I was this shitty at my job they’d fire me on the spot.

Fuck yourself and get me my attorney and phone call.

I can leave?

Oh, I’m sure you’ll be contacting me soon. Trying to build a case out of nothing—and you piggies wonder why people hate cops.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts?