Someone To Save Me

Google-o-skey

Stepping out of the arena with Sid, Max, Kris, and Goose (Goligoski) was an experience. People were lining the driveway for them to sign things. I stood back watching as they interacted with their fans, making sure that the kids got not only their autographs but pictures as well. I pulled out my phone deciding it was time to see my friends.

Sent- Al, Janie, Megs: Come to lunch with our boys. That little Italian bistro downtown that we love so much.

New Message- Al: Be there in 15! =)

Reply- Al: See you then! =)

New Message- Janie: YEAH! MY BEST IS BACK

Reply- Janie: She’s getting there.

New Message- Megs: Its about time, Damn!

Reply- Megs: Better late than never right?

“I hope you don’t mind but I invited the girls” I said as the guys walked back over to me.

“Not at all” Sid said wrapping his arm around my shoulder. “We’ll see you guys there” he added waving them off.

Sid and I got into his car and drove towards the restaurant. Chatting about random things that would pop into our heads, until my phone rang.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Katie my favorite sister.”

“I’m your only sister, Charlotte” I said shaking my head. “What do you want you only call me your favorite when you need something.”

“Well, spring break is coming up and I really just don’t want to go to Ohio and spend it with Nonie and Poppy. I was thinking I could come down to Chicago and visit you for the 2 weeks instead.”

“Well that would be a great plan if I was in Chicago.”

“If you’re not in Chicago then where are you?”

“Pittsburgh.”

“What!?!”

“Yea, I moved here last weekend. Well I’m in the process of moving here half of my things are still there.”

“Fine then I’ll just spend those 2 weeks with you in Pittsburgh. Maybe we can go to a game huh? Maybe we can even meet the team. Yummy Jordan Staal.”

“Yummy Jordan Staal?” I said with a laugh, making Sid snort. “Stop laughing I’m trying to have a conversation with my sister.”

“Who are you talking to?” Charlie asked.

“My boyfriend.”

“You moved to Pittsburgh last week and you already have a boyfriend? Or did you move there because of him.”

“Neither. Hey send me a message about the dates you’re thinking and I’ll see what I can do alright?”

“Awesome, I miss you Katie.”

“Miss you to Charlie” I said hanging up.

“Charlie?” Sid asked raising his eyebrow.

“Charlotte Taylor O’Callaghan, my baby sister. I call her Charlie. Something from our childhood that stuck I guess.”

“What are you checking out?”

“She wanted to come see me in Chicago but since I’m not there anymore I told her that I’d check it out and let her know.”

“She should come, we have the guest room.”

“Are you sure? I mean can you handle two O’Callaghan women being in your apartment?”

“Our apartment Katie, our’s.”

“That’s going to take me a while to get used to.”

“So, I called a moving company today while you were getting ready. They’re going to pack everything and ship it out by the middle of the week and it should be here next weekend.”

“Ok sounds good. What exactly am I going to do with an apartment of furniture in an already furnished apartment.”

“You know as well as anyone else that my apartment is barely furnished. Keep what you want, move stuff around, I don’t really care. Just as long as it’s not to girly and I have my couch and TV” he said parking the car.

“I like your furniture. But you’re right, it is barely furnished. You don’t care if I make the place a bit more homey?”

“Not at all” he said kissing my cheek. “Now lets go, I’m hungry.”

“KATIE!” Al yelled running up to me. No I take that back she squealed my name bringing a whole lot of attention to me and the famous man I happened to be standing with. People all turned to look at us seeing his arm draped around my waist. Some looked happy for him but a few girls teens and people around our age gave me dirty looks, I suddenly felt very small.

“Don’t sweat it, they’re jealous” Sid whispered into my ear as Al gave us an apologetic look.

“We’re all at the table already” she said gesturing us to follow her.

After ordering I excused myself to go to the restroom and on the way back I felt a small tug on my jeans. I looked down to see a small blonde girl.

“Hi there, are you lost?” I asked bending down to her level.

“No, I’m not lost my daddy owns this place” she said matter-of-factly

“He does? That’s pretty cool.”

“Lady, are you with the Penguins?”

“Yes I am.”

“They’re my favorite animal.”

“Mine too” I smiled. “They play good hockey don’t they.”

“Uh huh. Sidney Crawsby is my favorite.”

“Oh really! Mine too” I said enthusiastically. “What’s your name sweetie?”

“Katie.”

“Katie, now what are the odds. That’s my name too” she smiled showing off a toothless grin. “We have so much in common.”

“My favorite color is white because it’s the color of snow and ice and the penguins play on ice and when they stop fast they make snow.”

“Well aren’t you just the cutest thing ever.”

“Thank you.”

“Katie, how would you like to meet him?”

“That would be the greatest thing ever!”

“Alright come with me” I said holding my hand out for her to take. I walked over to the table smiling down at the little girl. “Sid I just met your biggest fan ever.”

“Oh really?” he said smiling at the little girl.

“Yep meet Katie.”

“Katie, that’s her name too” he said to her he said picking her up and setting her on his knee.

“I know. Mr. Crawsby is she your girlfriend?”

“Yes.”

“She’s prettier than sissy said. Nicer too” she said looking at him intently.

“Oh really? I think she’s pretty too” he said smiling over at me as I sat back in my chair. “How old are you Katie?”

“4” she said holding up her fingers after making sure she had 4 showing. “Daddy says that I can come see you play when I’m 5.”

“When is that?”

“October 12th” she said nodding her head for effect.

“Well I guess we’ll see you then” he said as she looked around the table.

“There are lots of Penguins here” she said looking over at me for confirmation. “Sissy like you guys lots. She has your faces on her wall. Kris Letang, Max Talbot, Alex Google . . . Google-os-key” she said struggling over Goligoski.

“That’s ok I can’t say it right most of the time either” I said making Max laugh. “That’s why he’s Goose.”

“Like the bird?’ I nodded. “They’re mean, one tried to bite me once. You’re not mean are you?” she asked him.

“Not unless you’re Ovechkin.”

“No he’s ugly. And a boy. I am not a boy” she said shaking her head.

“Well then you’re safe.” She smiled wide when the waiter and 2 other people came with our food.

“Hi Daddy” she waved to on man.

“Hey Princess. What are you doing? I thought I told you to stay at the back table where I could keep an eye on you.”

“That lady told me I could meet Sidney Crawsby” she said pointing to me.

“Sorry she told me that you owned this place and that her favorite animal was the penguins, I couldn’t resist introducing her” I said with a smile.

“It’s ok I knew she didn’t go far. She likes to go around and play hostess” he said with a smile. “Katie let’s go back to the table sweetie, let them eat their lunch.”

“Daddy” she pouted. “Can I get a picture first?” Her dad looked to Sid with a questioning look.

“Sure thing” Sid said.

“With them too” she said pointing to me and the other guys. “I like her. You two should get married.”

“Oh really?” Sid said coughing a little.

“Yep” she nodded.

“Let give it a little time alright?” I asked her. Taking a deep breath when she nodded in agreement. Sid and I took a picture with her and then all the guys got up and with Sid holding her they took a picture too before she skipped away with her dad holding her hand.

“She was just adorable” Janie said.

“I know and when she asked me if I was with the penguins and she then said that they were her favorite animal I had to bring her over” I said with a small laugh. “I almost lost it.”

“We are so coming back here” Al said with a smile. Everyone nodding in agreement. “Did you hear how she said his name?”

“Who’s Crawsby or Google-os-key?” Meg said laughing. “‘Not unless you’re Ovechkin’.” she added mimicking Goose.

“‘No he’s ugly. And a boy’!” I said. “Seriously that was the cutest thing ever.”

The guys just sat there eating shaking their heads at us. I smiled over at Sid placing my hand on his knee as I dug into my eggplant parmesan.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sid and I curled up on the couch after lunch and put in a movie that I wasn’t really paying attention to seeing as I was about to slip into a food induced coma helped on by Sid playing with my hair and rubbing circles on my side. I let out a sigh and settled deeper into his chest.

“What are you thinking about?” he asked deep in thought.

“Nothing really. I’m insanely comfortable right now. Why, what are you thinking about?”

“That little girl at the restaurant.”

“Oh?”

“I mean what she said about how I should marry you. I was just wondering . . .”

“If you propose right now I’m going to scream.”

“Oh geeze no. I mean eventually I would love to get married, but we haven’t ever talked about what we want eventually.’

“Sid, I’m a girl of course I want to get married. I’ve dreamt about it since before I can remember . . .”

“Tell me about what you’ve pictured” he said, I could hear the smile in his voice.

“Well, it was pretty much always the same. I’m not to flashy so the dress would have to be simple, I would love for it to have pockets . . .”

“Pockets?” he asked amused.

“Yes, that way I have somewhere to put things like tissues and a flask” I laughed feeling his body shake with laughter too. “I’ve always wanted something understated in its beauty, not flashy but just enough sparkle to make people awe struck. The man had to be someone who I could laugh with, who I could lay around in sweats with, who I could tell anything to without fear of being judged, someone who make me feel safe and at home. Someone a lot like you Sidney Crosby.”

“And when you dreamt about this wedding and this man what happened after?”

“After . .. Well you know. Traditional honeymoon kind of stuff. . . When I was little we’d go to Disney.”

“Whoot Disney!” he shouted making me laugh.

“Well after Disney we’d come home and have babies to take care of.”

“How many do you want?”

“That’s a tough question. I guess it depends. 3 maybe.”

“3 is a good number.”

“I’m sorry are we really having this conversation or am I dreaming it?” I asked softly as he continued to twist my curls around his finger. “Because I feel like this isn’t really happening and I’m going to wake up still in Chicago wishing I could come and see you.”

“It’s real but I wish part of it wasn’t.”

I thought about what he said for a minutes realizing what part he wished to delete from our history. “Me too. But we can’t change anything it’s in the past now. Time to move on. What doesn’t kill you makes you strong right?”

“That’s what they say” he replied. Quickly his breathing became slow and even and I knew he had fallen asleep. His hand resting on my chest unconsciously, I tried not to laugh at his ability to fall asleep in the middle of a conversation. I let my eyes close and being lulled by the sound of his breathing I too fell asleep.

I was sitting on a blanket in the backyard reading up on a player contract for Mario and Ray - I would be meeting with them in a couple days to give them my unbiased opinion on whether or not to sign the kid from Helsinki. I had been watching films on him for the past week, and was currently looking at his personal information (basically his life story).

“Mommy!”

“What is it baby?” I asked the young girl with bronze curly hair just like her father.

“When is daddy coming home?” she pouted.

“Soon sweetie, they all get back tomorrow we’ll see him at the game. Ok?”

“I miss daddy.”

“I know Addie me too” I said kissing her cheek.

“Mommy when am I going to have a baby brother? Tanner has a baby brother I want one.”

“Well I guess I’m going to have to talk with daddy about that. When he gets home, we’ll try to work something out for you. No promises on a brother though, maybe daddy will want another little girl, just like his Addie” I said tickling her slightly. “Now go back and play with Tanner give Aunt Janie a break for a bit.”

“Ok!” she said running back to the dark haired little boy who looked exactly like Kris.

“Holy crap I forgot how tiring it is to be pregnant” Janie said sitting by me in a chair.

“Well remind me . . . Because in a few months I’m going to be saying the same thing” I said with a smile on my face.

“No Way!”

“Yea, just keep it quiet I haven’t told Sid yet and Addie won’t be able to keep it quiet if she found out.”

“Oh My gosh! How far are you?”

“I went to the doctor yesterday when Addie was at school, and I’m 7 weeks.”

“You and Al both.”

“WHAT!?!”

“Shit I wasn’t supposed to say anything.”

“Goose doesn’t know yet either?”

“Nope.”

“I won’t say anything, no worries” I said. “ I wonder how long it will take for Meg and Max to settle down?”

“I know when are they going to realize that they just need to make everything official already, I mean they’re a year from common law.”

“Sid did let it slip that Max was looking at the rings when they passed a jewelry store the other day” I said hoping that he would just ask her already. My phone rang beside me “It’s Sid” I said before answering, “Hello there handsome man.”

“Hi my beautiful wife.” Janie got up and walked into the house, probably having to pee yet again.

“How are you doing?”

“I’m good I miss my wife and daughter though.”

“We miss you too Sid. Addie was just asking when you’d get back.”

“How is the little princess?”

“Good Janie and Tanner are over. I’m thinking we’re going to have to look out for those two in the future, he’s all suave like his daddy.”

“Tanger suave? Ha!” he laughed.

“He did just kiss her so yeah.”

“TANGER KEEP YOUR SON AWAY FROM ADDIE!” he yelled.

“What are you talking about?” I heard Kris say from the other end.

“He just kissed her. Keep your French-Canadian son away from my baby girl” he explained.

“I believe that your wife is part French-Canadian too.”

“Sid, it was cute I’m sad you missed it. Next time I’ll take a picture with my phone instead of my actual camera and send it to you” I said with a giggle.

“Not cute. Horrible! I didn’t think I’d have to worry about boys until she was 30.”

“Well start worrying. I wish you guys were coming home today. I miss you.”

“I miss you too Katie.”

“I have something for you when you get home.”

“When I get home” his interest peaked.

“Yep when you get home.”

“I’m going to have to charter a plane and leave early then.”

“No you won’t. There isn’t a C on your jersey because you skip out on the team. We will be there tomorrow and will see you at the game.”

“Come early, I want to see my girls.”

“I think I can talk Addie into that.”

“Alright, well I should go. I love you” he said.

“I love you too and I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Give Addie kisses for me.”

“Sure thing” I said with a smile. “Bye baby.”

“Bye, see you tomorrow.”

I woke from my dream with a smile on my face, I know that Sid will be a great dad, he’s so patient with the kids at autograph signings and the little girl at the restaurant.

“You fell asleep on me” Sid said after a few minutes.

“Yes in the sense that I am lying on you and had been asleep I did fall asleep on you, but you sir are the one who passed out mid conversation.”

“Oh” he said realizing that he did in fact fall asleep before I did. “Sorry.”

“It’s ok” I said turning over so that I could see his face.

“Why are you all smiley?”

“No reason really” I shrugged thinking about the dream I just had. “Just glad to be here. I honestly didn’t think that I would be in Pittsburgh not for a while at least.”

“Well you are!”

“I am indeed. I have a lot of stuff in Chicago. . .”

“Your point?”

“Well that’s all coming here. . .”

“Again your point?”

“I guess I don’t have one.”

“Katie, this is your place now too.”

“I know, it’s just weird . . . A good weird but weird none the less.”

“Yeah it is a little different, but we’ll get used to it.”

“What if a month from now you realize that I’m crazy?”

“You are crazy, I already know this.”

“I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing” I said as my phone rang. I slid off the couch and out of Sid’s arms walking over to my bag I grabbed my phone.

“Hello?”

“Katie sweetie Charlie said you were in Pittsburgh with a boy.”

“Hi Nonie.”

“Who is this boy? Is he nice to you?”

“Yes Nonie he’s a good guy” I said putting my hand on head shaking it in disbelief.

“What does he do?”

“He’s an athlete.”

“Did you meet him on the job? That’s not good sweetie they won’t take you serious at work if it gets out.”

“No I met him when I was visiting Janie Al and Megs.”

“I don’t know about him being an athlete. They’re known to be cheaters look at Kobe Bryant and that Tiger fellow.”

“Nonie he’s a good guy.”

“And they’re awfully strong, what if he hurts you?”

“Nonie . . .”

“I don’t want anything to happen to my little Katie-bug.”

“Nonie.”

“You need someone good, and kind and . . .”

“NONIE! Can you please listen to what I’m saying?”

“Ok geesh clam down.”

“He is a good guy, he won’t hurt me, nothing bad is going to happen to me with him around. He’s not the kind of guy that would hurt anyone.”

“Oh, well what does he play?”

“Hockey . . .”

“HOCKEY! They are very violent.”

“Oh my goodness Nonie. He isn’t like that!” I shouted getting very frustrated. Sid walked over with a questioning look. ‘Grandma’ I mouthed as she went on and on about how hockey was almost as bad as boxing. Sid gesture for the phone, wide-eyed I shook my head no.

“Sid you really don’t want to . . .” I said covering the mic.

“Just give me the phone” he said as I reluctantly handed it over. “Hi, Mrs. O’Callaghan.”

“Who is this?” I heard my grandma ask.

“This is Katie’s boyfriend, Sidney. I thought that since you were already on the phone with her I’d introduce myself . . . I know . . . I understand completely. . . Yes, I do. Very much so. . . My mom met her actually. . . In a heart beat. . . Yes, that’s the plan” he laughed. Did he seriously just laugh? “Alright . . . Yea I’ll let her know . . . Nice talking to you too. Bye” he said hanging up.

“What . . . . How the . . .”

“Just say thank you and kiss me” he said handing my phone back to me. I kissed him softly on the lips before he stepped back.

“Thank you” I said with a smile. “Now what the hell did you say to make her back off because I’ve been trying for 23 years and nothing.”

“That I love you and I understand that she’s worried about you being in a new city with a boyfriend that she hasn’t heard anything about.”

“Oh. Thank you.”

“She said that she would talk to you soon and that ‘Poppy’ says hi” he said walking into the kitchen.

“Oh Poppy, he’s the only normal one of the Irish clan. I’m just really sorry you talked to Nonie, because she’s the craziest” I said when he walked out sipping his Gatorade. “I’m only a small fraction as crazy as Nonie so you’re safe my dear.”

“Good to know” he said sitting next to me back on the couch. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders pulling me into him. “So if we have kids are they going to end up all ginger and what not?”

“Dear God I hope not. I think the last red heads that are actually blood related to me we’re Poppy’s dad and uncle.”

“Ok, not that I have anything against red heads or anything but . . .”

“I understand completely.”

We sat there watching sports center for a while. Sid’s a lucky man if you think about it. I mean what girl is willing to watch sports center for more than 20minutes?

“Sid, we left my car in Chicago” I said randomly.

“Oh, I didn’t think about that.”

“Me either. Maybe I can go meet Charlie there on her spring break and we can drive back. You probably have games that first part of the week anyway.”

“Are you sure you want to go back?”

“Not really but it would give me an excuse to stop in to see Poppy.”

“Well you have a little while to decide right?”

“I’ll have to decided fast so I know what tickets to book for my sister” I sighed. “Maybe I could stay with Sharp and his girlfriend. She’s nice.”

“Ask him. I’d feel better if you stayed with him rather than by yourself” he said pressing his face into my hair. “Besides he knows about everything, so it won’t be like you have to explain why you’re not there anymore.”

“True. Alright so I’ll fly out the day before Charlie’s flight gets in and after I pick her up we’ll head to Ohio and stay over at the grandparents before coming here.”

“Sounds like a good plan.”

“I just have to double check to see if they’re going to be there or if they have an away game.”

“I know you miss them” he said placing an kiss on the top of my head.

“It would be nice to see them. You know what else would be nice?”

“What?”

“A backrub from my boyfriend” I said remembering from the day we met and the first night that we spent together talking. I smiled up at him.

“Only if I get one too” he replied. I nodded with a smile.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you those who have commented, I really do enjoy reading what you have to say so please keep it up.