Someone To Save Me

I'd Do Anything For You.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Sidney who’s the girl?” “How’s the concussion are you going to be back on the ice soon?” “Why were you in Chicago?” “Sid, are you dating her?” “How long have you been together?” Reporters bombarded us at the airport, I only answered the questions that had to do with hockey and not my relationship with Katie, as I pushed the trolley with our bags on it to where I had parked my car. I unlocked it and helped her into the passenger seat before loading our things in the back. “Sid, are you planning on getting back on the ice in the next few days?”

“We’ll see what the doctors say when I go in. I don’t want to push myself to fast and not heal properly, Dan won’t let me out there until I’m completely symptom free.”

“Who’s the girl Sid?”

“You know I don’t talk about my personal life” I said shaking my head before getting in the car. “Sorry about that.”

“It’s ok. Don’t worry about it. Part of dating you.”

“I hope it’s worth it.”

“Are you kidding? It’s totally worth it” she said turning in the seat to face me.

I drove the familiar streets of the city until I got to my apartment and parked in the gated parking structure.

“Sidney Patrick Crosby that better be you!”

“Mom?” I said closing the front door behind Katie and I.

“Where have you been? You don’t answer my phone calls. I flew down here to check on you and you’re gone. . . Oh, hi” my mom said spotting Katie, who was tucked behind me.

“Mom this is Katie, my girlfriend.”

“Girlfriend. You never mentioned a girlfriend” she replied her face softening a bit. “Hi, Katie. I’m Trina.”

“Hi, Mrs. Crosby.”

“Trina.”

“Sorry . . .” she said softly. “Sid I’m going to go wash all this makeup off my face, it feels like latex paint.”

“Alright, I’ll bring the bags up in a bit then I should head to the arena” I said kissing the top of her head.

“It’s nice to meet you Trina.”

“You too Katie” my mom said as Katie made her way to my, I mean our, bedroom. “You left out that important piece of your life.”

“Sorry mom, it’s new and well she was in Chicago.”

“Was?”

“She’s moving here.”

“That’s another important bit of information.”

“I’ll explain it all when I get back from the team docs ok?”

“Alright. She seems like a nice girl. Doesn’t talk much though.”

“She’s been though a lot recently mom give her time she’ll warm up.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The bruise on my face was a deep purple and took several layers of both liquid and powder foundation to cover enough to leave the hotel this morning but now that we were at the apartment I couldn’t wait to get it off, even if Trina Crosby was here. She looked both shocked and pleased when Sid told her who I was.

I made my way down to the kitchen looking for something to eat. The fridge was definitely one of a 20-something guy.

“You’ll probably have to go shopping” I heard behind me making me jump slightly. “I didn’t mean to scare you” she said softly.

“It’s ok, I’m just a tad jumpy” I said turning towards her.

“Oh, sweetie what happened” she said in a way only a mom could stepping towards me placing her hand on my bruised cheek lightly.

“Uh . . .” I knew I’d have to explain this to her, I just didn’t know how.

“You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want.”

“It’s just really new still. Sid didn’t say anything did he?”

“No he didn’t. Just that you were from Chicago.”

“Chicago . . .” I whispered feeling my eyes water. “I had to leave.”

“Come on lets go sit in the living room” she said placing her arm around my back leading me to the couch. “Why did you have to leave?”

“I couldn’t go back to where . . .where . . . I can’t say it.”

“Did someone hurt you?” I nodded tears silently running down my face. “Who did this?”

“It’s wasn’t Sid“ I said making sure she knew that her son had nothing to do with my appearance. “My ex, Brice, he did this. He’s in jail now though.”

“What did he do, Katie?”

“Well this” I pointed to my face, “and this” I said moving my hair so she could see the stitches, “and I have a concussion, plus bruising on my ribs and legs” I said trailing off, looking her in the eyes hoping that I wouldn’t have to actually say that he, I can’t even say it in my head.

“Oh, sweetheart” she said pulling me into a hug.

“I didn’t know that Sid was coming to see me but I’m really glad that he did. I don’t know what would have happened if he hadn’t shown up” I said full on crying now. “I loved your son before yesterday but now I love him even more Trina. He saved me.”

“He loves you too, I can tell.”

“Please don’t be mad at him for not answering your calls, yesterday he was with me at the hospital.”

“This all happened yesterday?” I nodded. “No wonder you’re a mess. Anyone would be if they went through what you did. Are you hungry? Thirsty? Tired?”

“I was just going to get something to drink, but I could sleep” I said smiling at her going into full blown mom mode. “I don’t want to be rude.”

“I don’t mind, go to sleep.”

“Just for a little bit, nap really” I said. “Thanks Trina.”

“No problem.”

“Katie” I heard Sid say before wrapping his arms around my waist.

“Hey, you’re back” I said turning over in his bed to face him.

“I’m back.”

“How’s your noggin?”

“A little better” he said kissing my forehead, before lying with me silently.

“Sid, you know what I don’t really understand.”

“What’s that?”

“Well they say that most people don’t want anyone with them, that having a man that close feels wrong. But I want you close, I need you there. You’re arms are comforting.”

“Why do you think that?”

“I don’t know Sid. I know that I love you, and I can’t imagine never having met you. That I’m so glad that you were there yesterday, I don’t know how else to tell you how much you mean to me. Especially now” I said tears welling up in my eyes.

“I love you too.”

“Your mom is nice.”

“She likes you” he said brushing my hair away from my face. “If she starts to ask questions and you don’t want to tell her it’s alright she’ll understand.”

“Sid, we’ve already talked” I said twisting one of his curls around my finger.

“Oh?”

“Sid, with this on my face it’s hard to hide from her, and I’m not walking around with half a bottle of foundation on my face. No thank you.”

“So, how’s your noggin?” he asked.

“Meh, you have a few days progress on me.”

“This is true” he smiled at me. “Listen are you hungry, my mom is cooking.”

“How can I say no to a home cooked meal?” I asked kissing him softly. “Thank you” I added in a whisper.

“I’d do anything for you” he replied sitting up pulling me up with him. “I love you.”

“I love you too” I replied just as my stomach growled.

“Hungry?” he laughed.

“Yea” I said before he kissed my forehead. He stood up taking my hands pulling me off the bed and into his chest.

“Lets go eat” he said being as gentle as possible with me.

“You’re awake, and just in time. Go sit” Trina said when we walked into the kitchen. “I’ll be there in a second with the rest of the food.”

“Rest of the food?” I questioned turning to Sid when I saw the table of several things. “There’s more?”

“No doubt.”

“So, Katie, tell me about your family” Trina said as we started to eat.

“Well . . .”

“Mom we haven’t even really talked about that.”

“Sid it’s fine. Kill two birds with one stone. I have a little sister, she’s 19 and currently studying in the Canadian city of Montreal, where our mom was from. My dad went there on a weekend and they met and were inseparable. They got married and moved to central Ohio where he was from.”

“Classic love story. Do they know that you’re here now instead of Chicago?”

“I’m sure they know, they were killed by a drunk driver when I was 15, Charlotte and I moved in with his parents who still live in Ohio.” Sid placed his hand lightly on my knee with a sad look on his face. “That’s where I went to school, The Ohio State University, their athletic department is amazing and very diverse. But of course my mom instilled a love of hockey into her girls, we went up to see her family every winter break and most summers even after they passed.”

“What did you go to school for?” she asked changing the subject quickly.

“Publicity and Sports Management. But I work, worked as a sports photographer in Chicago. I love taking pictures” I said forgetting that just that morning I had gone into the paper and resigned from my position, explaining as best I could to my boss.

“I sent you some of the ones she took, remember?” Sid said.

“Oh those were yours. They’re really good.”

“Thank you” I said smiling.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~