Vampire Eyes

Conversations

Counciousness begins to enter your body slowly but surely. You feel soft sheets beneath you, and you sense your head resting on a pillow.
"Don't move." You hear a soft but stern voice say. You stir slightly, your eyes carefully opening. A familiar face comes within your vision, one you know as 'Master' Devarion.
"De-varion." You whisper, the words barely escaping your lips.
"You know you are supposed to call me 'Master'." Devarion tells you, his voice and face almost soft. Or was it your faded mind playing tricks on you? You try to move your arm slightly, but a shooting pain stops you from doing so. You wince from the pain, but it quickly starts to fade once you stop trying to move.
"Where are we?" You ask, your voice still quiet.
"We are still in Delia's house." Devarion explains.
"What?" You question, your voice rising. You are about to question more, but Devarion puts a finger to your lips.
"Delia is getting what she deserves. However, she is too much of a disgrace to the immortal world to be dealt with by me. I prefer to leave her kind to others." Devarion says, a hateful look in his eyes. "I am sorry you were beaten." Devarion says, running his finger over a wound on your face that makes you wince slightly. "But think of it this way, it will save me the trouble of having to punish you myself for trying to run away." You give a small smile, despite yourself.
"You actually came for me?" You ask, your surprise shown dramatically in your voice.
"I told you. You are mine to protect and therefore I will." Devarion explains. Delia was right about one thing. Devarion didn't like losing things which he claimed were his. You were beginning to see that very clearly now. The brief thought runs through your head that perhaps if you were always in a weakened state that Devarion would always be kinder to you. "Well, I suppose I might be able to arrange that." Devarion tells you, playfully, as he sits down on the bed, next to you. The room remains silent as you think of things to say, questions to ask. Devarion seems to be in a decent enough mood, and you want to make the most of it.
"Why me?" You finally ask. Devarion looks at you questiongly. "I had a life, I had family and friends. I am nothing to you....not really, so why did you have to take me away? Why not choose someone else?" You ask, fighting to keep your voice calm and collected. Devarion is silent for a moment, as if in thought, but then speaks.
"If I had taken someone else, do you not think she would have asked the same questions. Do you not think she would have asked, 'why me?' as well? People always pity themselves and say, 'why could this not have happened to someone else?' But when it does happen to someone else, that someone else also asks, 'why me?' People only ever care for their own fate. Did you ever think that by my taking you, this fate has not been given to another, and that you have saved another from having to be in your shoes? You hate this life greatly, I know. Would you really wish it upon another?" Your mind races with explanations and reasons that you can give, but you find none. He is right and you know it. You would never wish this fate upon anyone else. You really only had one friend, and your grandma is your only living family. How bad would it have been for a girl with a loving boyfriend, parents and siblings, as well as tons of friends. In reality, you really were the best choice. You had few things that kept you attatched to your life. All you had were those two people, and the hope for a better future.
"You still have not answered my question. Why me?" You ask, hoping to give your mind a rest from these thoughts that wound your heart.
"You will not like my answer." Devarion warns you. You nod your head slightly, signaling for him to go ahead and give his answer. "I am an immortal of power, and can have whatever I wish. And what I wanted, was you." He was right. You don't like his answer at all. Such an answer would normally earn a man a good hard slap across the face. Though with your current physical condition, slapping him is out of the question.
"But did you not originally want Courtney?" You ask, the sound of her name on your lips making you want to cry.
"She was to be a meal and nothing more."
"So why wasn't I to be the same thing?" You ask, not certain if that is the best question to ask.
"Because you weren't afraid of me. At least, not before you found out what I was." The reply stuns you, as your mind recalls the moment that you hit Devarion over the head with a brick. That seemed like an eternity ago, but in reality was only a few weeks ago, if that. You had pretty much lost all track of time by now.
"So, you liked me because I was fearless, and now it's your goal to instill fear upon me. That makes no sense." You say, gently. As you look into Devarion's face you can not believe that you and him are simply talking, almost like friends. You wonder if this is just an illusion given to you by your pounding head, or that perhaps Devarion can be nice.....when he wants to be.
"It isn't supposed to make sense." Devarion replies. Why did he always have to leave you in the dark about everything? You suddenly feel sleep begin to tug at your eyes and mind. You can not help but give in. The stress of the last couple of days has been too much for your poor body to handle. Without another word to Devarion you drift off into a deep sleep. Dreams flood your mind, shifting this way and that, until finally one dream stays in your mind, and plays itself all the way through. A small girl sits beneath a large oak tree with a scetch book in her lap. With pencil in hand she draws shapes and figures upon the clean, white paper. She has long, light brown hair, and entrancing green eyes that sparkle in the daylight. She looks no older then seven or eight, and a lovely smile plants itself upon her face as she examines what she has just drawn. A large house stands in her picture, with heart shaped shutters and a big front door. Four stick figures stand outside the house. They are all smiling, holding each other's hands. There is a mommy, a daddy, and two little daughters. The young girl smiles at her masterpiece before closing the notebook and lying her head to rest against the tree while her eyelids close, her ears enjoying the gentle whispers of the wind.

The sound of a soft purr wrestles your mind awake.
"Elizabeth!!!" You hear the excited voice of your favorite cat-girl scream. Your eyes flash open just in time to see Kalira jump on top of you and give you a hug. A small pain runs through your body as she does so, but nothing nearly as bad as when you had first awakened. You wrap your arms tightly around Kalira giving her the biggest and warmest hug you can muster. You hold each other for several mintues until finally you let Kalira go. You had missed her so much. "Welcome home!" Kalira says excitedly.
"Home?" You question. Last you had checked you were still at Delia's house.
"Yes, you silly goose, home. Master brought you home last night." Kalira explains, excitedly. Never in your life had you ever thought you would be happy to see the inside of these castle walls. Your eyes scan the room you are currently in, and to your suprise you are lying in Devarion's bedroom. Your mind quickly recalls, vaguely your earlier conversation with Devarion. You begin to wonder if the talk had been real, or if it had been a dream. Everything seemed so mixed up, you could not tell.
"Kalira, I missed you so much." You tell her as you sit up in the bed. As you do, you realize you are wearing a light blue, sleevless night gown made of soft silk that feels good against your mending skin.
"I missed you, too!" Kalira tells you, giving you another quick hug. "I am sorry I could not reach you in time. When Delia was playing tricks with your mind I knew something was wrong and I tried to get in the room, but she put up some kind of barrier I could not get through." Kalira explains, her face sad. So that's what that knocking sound was. You think to yourself. You give Kalira a smile to take away her sadness.
"Thank you, Kalira. But I can not expect you to save me all the time. And speaking of what happened.....let's never mention that I was fooled by a stupid illusion of two angels." You say. Kalira laughs and puts out her hand for a hand shake.
"Deal."