I'll Be There

one

It was their fifth date – a quiet dinner at his place that they decided to cook together.

“Careful!” She looked on with big eyes as he singled out a noodle from the pot of boiling water, dropping it into his mouth.

“’Is hot.” He laughed, making her giggle as he fanned his mouth. She placed the colander in the sink and returned to stirring the rosa sauce while he drained the noodles from he water. It wasn’t long until he was pouring her a glass of red as they sat around his dark wood dining room table.

Evgeni Malkin had told his new girlfriend right away of his means of living and how he made his money. The think that he appreciated most was that she didn’t know much about hockey and seemed like she could care less that he was essentially a celebrity in the Pittsburgh area.

Geno, now, at the age of 28, was five years removed from winning his first Stanley Cup and spending his first summer in Pittsburgh instead of returning home to Russia.

Rachel Tanner was the reason that he wanted to stick around. She had been a friend of his goalie’s girlfriend for a short amount of time that she insisted he meet. Recently on the outs from a short term relationship, Evgeni knew he wasn’t getting any younger and was getting anxious to settle down now that he had just been signed to a long-term and very lucrative deal.

Rachel Tanner seemed to be everything he was looking for in a woman. She was independent, hard working, beautiful, and smart, had a great sense of humor and didn’t care about his profession or the lifestyle he lead.

Sure it was only their fifth date, but he knew that what he had with Rachel could very well be the real deal, the big shebang, the whole enchilada.

Evgeni loved kissing Rachel, her mouth was so soft and warm and she loved the little noises she made when he would rub his big, thick hands up and down her back.

“I really like you, Rachel.” He grinned out, looking down at her as they sat together on the couch after they finished their pasta, still both sipping their wine.

“I really like you too, Geno.” She smiled shyly. She couldn’t allow the fact that he was so good looking and so ungodly overwhelming cloud her judgment, however. She had to be home that night and couldn’t afford waking up late in the morning.

Just as he leaned down for another kiss, they both jumped apart at the feeling of her cell phone vibrating in her pocket.

“Sorry.” She blushed, taking her cell out, seeing her ex’s name on the ID and tossing it back behind Evgeni on the couch. “No one important.” She smiled before he could lean in for the kill once more.

“Forget about him, yeah?” He asked with a growl to his voice. Evgeni knew about Rachel’s past to a certain extent. They’d had the “ex” talk for a brief conversation. He knew she married young and had been officially divorced for about five months after having been separated from her ex, Dave, for more than a year after she had caught him cheating. He had also disclosed with her that he had only had two serious relationships in the past and he knew that it must have been fairly obvious that he was looking to settle down.

The phone started to vibrate for a second time and even though Evgeni groaned in disapproval, Rachel broke the kiss to check her phone.

“Shit.” She frowned, “I need to take this”. She apologized, kissing his cheek and grabbing her phone before stepping into the next room. Evgeni caught rushed whispers from the entryway but made no extra effort to try and catch any snippets of her conversation. A few moments later, she was back in the room, a small smile on her face as she carefully approached the couch.

“Everything okay?” He asked, resting his arm around her shoulders on the back of the ivory leather sofa.

“Yeah, yeah, everything’s fine.” She nodded, tucking a piece of her dark brunette hair behind her ear. “Geno… I know that we’ve been on a few dates and I really, really like you, but there is something I’ve left out.” She bit her lip as her crystal-blue eyes looked up at him. “And sometimes it’s kind of a deal breaker so if you just want to walk away, I totally understand.” She looked rather finicky.

“Rachel?” Geno asked, confusion in his brown teddy bear eyes.

“Geno, I know I should have said something earlier, but… I have a daughter.” She worried her pink bottom lip between her white teeth. Evgeni froze for a moment as he processed the information he had just been given.

He had never dated a woman with a kid before and usually the idea of being a father or father figure in any way would send him running for the hills, but the truth was, at this point in his life he was ready for something different. Plus, he was ready to do anything to keep Rachel around.

“I – I could handle that.” Geno shrugged. “Tell me about her.” He insisted, placing his hand on her thigh, making her flash a relieved smile though she was still a little apprehensive.

“Well, um, her name is Ava and she’s seven. She’s in second grade, she likes school and she wants to be an astronaut.” Rachel giggled. “She’s super smart and curious and she just wants to know everything.”

Geno grinned as he watched Rachel go on and on about Ava. Geno was good with kids, kids liked him, so why would Ava be any different?

•••

“Like, a baby?” Sidney Crosby asked of his best friend as they spoke over the phone. Geno was at his house getting ready to go meet Rachel and Ava for lunch. It was the first time he would be meeting Ava and would do anything to make a good first impression.

“No, she is older than a toddler, a kid.” Geno explained, wondering if Sidney could give him a few pointers on how to handle Ava. Sid was a natural with kids but at the moment he regretted not calling his friend Jordan who had five kids between he and his wife Phoebe. Sidney was engaged to his long time girlfriend but they both wanted children as soon as possible.

“Bring her a gift, kids love gifts.” Sidney insisted. “Like a bear or something.” He suggested.

“Okay.” Geno nodded, walking upstairs, having something in mind.

“Just be extra nice, talk a little slower, a little happier. Kids respond to that. I’m sure she’s a good kid.” Sidney assured. “Don’t get too worried, if you get too worried it will be awkward.” He added.

“I will try.” Geno sighed, “I want to make good impression.” He insisted.

“It will be fine, send me a text, let me know.” Sidney replied before saying goodbye. Geno held the teddy bear in hand that donned a tiny version of his jersey, 71 on it’s back. Maybe she would think it was cool that he played hockey?

Checking his appearance once more before heading out to the garage, he had twenty minutes before he met Rachel and Ava down at the park. Rachel had packed a picnic and thought it would be a good place to have lunch.

Evgeni couldn’t remember the last time he was quite so nervous to meet someone – much less a seven year old little girl. He just wanted so badly for her to like him so that he could keep having his comfortable, happy relationship with Rachel.

Sure Evgeni had little cousins and worked with children for charity, but this was something that would be entirely new to him. He popped in a piece of gum before pulling out of the driveway, the little teddy sitting beside him in the passenger seat as he made his way to Trilum Trails Park that was about halfway between his home in Fox Chapel and Rachel’s apartment in the O’Hara Township.

Parking his Range Rover, he didn’t see them right away. Getting out and stretching his legs, he held the teddy tightly in his hands, his nerves getting the best of him when he spotted Rachel sitting at a picnic table, her back to him as she looked out towards a small, open field where there were a few families sitting on grass, dogs playing with owners and a few kids as well.

“Rachel.” He smiled, feeling much better now that he had seen her beautiful face.

“Ev.” She replied, getting up to hug him. “I really want to kiss you.” She blushed as he held her close. “But… I don’t know if I should in front of Ava.” She bit her lip. Geno frowned but he understood. He settled for a peck on the cheek before placing the teddy down on the opposite bench.

“Let me help.” He insisted, looking down at the basket. Rachel nodded and together they spread out a blanket over the wooden table that had seen better times. She took out two big sub sandwiches that looked delicious, as well as a smaller turkey club – containers of home-made pasta salad, fruit, chips, and a few pops as well as what he recognized to be little juice boxes.

“Mama – I’m hungry, when are we –” Geno looked down to see a rather suspicious face looking up at him. “Who are you?” The little girl asked, looking up at the giant in front of her.

“Ava, honey, this is Mama’s friend, Evgeni.” Rachel introduced. Ava’s big blue eyes narrowed. “Say hi to him.” She insisted.

“Hi Ev-geeny.” She said with a sour face. Even with her look of distaste, Geno couldn’t deny how cute she was. She was impossibly short in his opinion, being maybe four feet tall (and that was being generous), with huge blue eyes like her mothers and silky looking blonde hair that was a little darker than her mother’s.

Geno kneeled down to Ava’s height, resting one of his knees on the ground as he smiled warmly. “You can call me Geno.” He insisted. Ava eyed him but said nothing before hopping up to the table and taking a seat. Geno looked up at Rachel from his crouched position and she gave him an apologetic smile. Getting up, he sat beside Rachel at the picnic table as she served lunch.

“Ava, Geno brought you something.” Rachel smiled encouragingly, picking up the teddy bear that donned his jersey and handing it to her daughter.

“Penguins.” Ava read out loud.

“Geno plays professional hockey for the Pittsburgh Penguins, isn’t that exciting?” Rachel asked, laying it on thick as Geno held her hand under the table.

“Sure.” Ava shrugged, taking a big bite out of her sandwich, giving Geno a moment to crack open his pop and take a long drink.

Rachel tried to coerce Ava into conversation as they ate their lunch on that beautiful July day but it seemed that the seven year old wasn’t very talkative for once in her life.

“I’m gonna go play!” She announced, taking off from the table once she had finished her sandwich to join some other kids who were kicking around a soccer ball.

“Well…” Geno sighed, rubbing his palms down his jean-clad thighs. “That was bad.” He frowned, looking over at Rachel who smiled sadly up at him.

“She likes you.” Rachel offered. “She’s just… distracted.”

“She doesn’t like me.” Geno frowned, holding her hand again.

“Just give her a little time.” Rachel reassured. Geno tried to cheer up a bit talking to Rachel about a small vacation they wanted to take together – a weekend away. Ava continued to play with the other kids at the park for the next half an hour before she returned to the table.

“Mama can we get ice cream?” She asked, swinging her legs in her little green sun dress, nodding over to where there was a small ice cream cart parked in the shade.

“Da, ice cream is good.” Geno gave her a small smile, hopping up and making his way to the cart, buying three cones – one strawberry, one chocolate, and one vanilla before heading back. “Which is your favorite, Ava?” He asked, holding them out in front of her. She took the strawberry cone and eyed him as she began to lick it while her mother took chocolate.

“Oh, I forgot napkins in the car, I’ll be right back.” She insisted, walking back to where her car was parked alongside Geno’s. Geno paused for a moment, trying not to panic as he looked across the table at Ava.

“Ava, you like school?” He tried to strike up conversation.

“Are you dating my Mama?” She asked, wiggling in her seat as she folded her legs under herself. Geno looked down at her wearily.

“I like your Mom very much.” Was the best he could come up with. Ava hopped down from the bench seat, grabbing her teddy bear and eyeing up Geno in the way that only a small child could get away with. “I hope we can be friends.” He added.

“I don’t like you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
so here it is!
i've only been waiting forever to write another geno story :)
let me know if you're feeling this story!
i'm really excited to get it going now that toews and seguin have ended/are ending!
all my love!
kara