Love In The Air

Chapter 10.

A year later in July, many friends were gathered in the waiting room of a Chicago hospital waiting for the birth of the newest member of the Sharp family. Sarah and Adam drove in from Wisconsin because they weren't far away and wanted to be there for their friends.

Sarah was seated next to Kelsi in one of the private family waiting rooms, talking about their summer plans. She was trying to convince her friend to spend a weekend with her in Wisconsin.

“Please? You didn't even come for the Fourth of July barbeque we had. That's so un-American of you. I blame it on your Canadian husband. What a jerk,” she teased, trying to guilt her friend. “Plus, we're crossing the border next month and visiting you in Winnipeg. I think you owe me.”

Kelsi rolled her eyes at the dramatics, “Fine, fine. If it will get you to shut up. Jeez, you whine more than Adam. Maybe you've spent too much time with him.”

Before Sarah could reply, Patrick came into the room. “Hey, Sarah, Kels, Abby wants to see you guys. She's getting sick of me being the only face she's seen.”

“We're on it! Get a cup of coffee. You look wrecked,” Kelsi told him, standing up and pulling Sarah from her chair.

“Always so sweet,” he mocked, kissing each of their cheeks as they passed.

The girls stayed in the room with their friend for quite some time, helping their friend not think about the excruciating pain she was in. They talked, they joked and Abby told them exactly what she thought about the birthing process. When it was time for her to push, she asked them to get Patrick for her.

“Daddy, you're up,” Sarah told him as they walked into the waiting room with a grin.

“See ya in a bit, guys!” he told them brightly, running out of the room.

After he left it was just Sarah, Adam, Jon, Kelsi, Duncan Keith, the other Patrick and both Abby and Patricks parents. Both girls were tucked into the sides of their significant others.

“I can't wait until we start having kids,” Jon told his wife. She froze at his words.

“Pft. Until you can guarantee they won't have your forehead, no way am I having your kids. Sharpie has a relatively normal shaped head and Abby is still in the worst pain of her life,” she informed him.
Sarah laughed at her friend. “Oh please. It's only a matter of time before you and Adam get hitched and he starts begging for babies. You're worse off than me.” That shut her up quickly.

“But...” Jon pouted.

“I love you, I do. I'm just kidding. I would love to have your babies,” Kelsi told him, with a quick kiss to his cheek.

“Jeez, they are so odd,” Adam mumbled to Sarah, leaning his head on her shoulder.

“I heard that, buttwipe!” Kelsi said, throwing a magazine at him.

“And violent,” he added as an after thought.

“But we love them no matter what,” Sarah told him.

A half an hour later Patrick was back in the room with a grin on his face, “His name is James Mathew Sharp, 7 pounds, 9 ounces.”

Everyone stood and congratulated the new father.

************************************************

Later that month Adam had taken Sarah to an event he had at his alma matter, University of Wisconsin. Sarah knew that he was proud of his time as a Badger and she loved hearing him talk about his time there.

Adam had taken her on the path by the lake and was telling her about one time when he and a group of friends were studying late in the winter before final exams and he couldn't handle it anymore, daring the group he was with to go streaking down the same path, thinking no one would see them.

“Then we came across a couple girls who were walking back and we just died laughing right there because they were staring at us like they had no idea what we were doing, but it was pretty evident what we were doing,” he told her through a laugh.

“I swear, sometimes I don't know how you made it through college,” she told him with a smile, squeezing his hand that was in her own to show him she was joking.

“Whatever. You would have loved me, even back then. I guarantee it. All the ladies did.”

“Yeah, I'm sure they did,” she grumbled.

“Aw, you would have had my attention, baby. I have no doubts about that,” Adam told her, punctuating his point with a kiss.

“I better have your attention all the time,” she said to him with a smile. Adam stopped walking and stood in front of her.

“Baby, you know I love you,” he told her, placing his free hand against her cheek, his words filled with sincerity.

“I know,” she whispered, feeling that the moment called for softer voices for some reason.

Adam let go of her hand and put his hand in the pocket of his shorts, proceeding to get down on one knee. “I love you so much Sarah and I have never been able to see my life without you in it since that day on the plane. I don't know why we hadn't met before that day and I don't think I would have it any other way. There's a reason it took so long to find each other. We needed the perfect timing. And this is it. You're it for me, sweetheart. Will you marry me?” he asked, then proceeded to open the box in his hand, revealing the perfect ring, the ring Sarah had her eye on for years, though she could barely see through the tears blurring her vision.

“Yes,” she nearly sobbed out as Adam shakily placed the ring on her finger. He stood and gathered her in his arms, spinning her around. When he stopped, he gently wiped the tears from her face and kissed her, telling her in that kiss just how much he loved her and always would.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm posting this because 11 is almost done and then I'm working on 12 tonight. PLUS all your comments were AMAZING! :)