Love In The Air

Chapter 3.

Around 10 PM that night, the Toews family were just getting back to the apartment as Sarah was finishing frosting Jon's birthday cake. She had decided to stay home and not take part in the dinner celebrating Jon's birthday because he hadn't seen his family in a while and felt like that would be intruding. She also hadn't forgotten that Adam had promised he would show up and secretly, Sarah wanted to look her best for his appearance so she took the time to spruce up her makeup and outfit, wearing a high-waisted black skirt and a deep red, silk button up blouse.

Andree and Bryan greeted Sarah with hugs and kisses on the cheek, having almost the same amount of attachment to her as they did with their sons fiancee. Sarah seemed to get along with everyone always and the parents of her best friends fiance were no different.

Sarah and Kelsi got drinks together for everyone, such as coffee, tea and hot chocolate, so they had something to drink while Jon opened some of his gifts, they talked and ate some cake. When they all began to settle into the couch, the doorbell rang. Kelsi, who had yet to be completely settled into the couch next to Jon, decided she would get up and answer the door, knowing it was Adam there. Jon, knowing this as well and having heard about Sarah's encounter with him earlier in the day, just sent her a huge grin, knowing that his ex-teammate was persistent and that Sarah wouldn't actually mind giving Burish a chance. Sarah just sent him a glare that could freeze any large body of water out there, especially Lake Toews.

“Hey! Guess who showed up,” Kelsi said happily as she practically skipped back to her spot on the couch.

Everyone turned to look towards the entryway of the living room and saw not only Adam, but two guests who had tagged along with him.

“You two are early!” Sarah said, jumping up to hug Vanessa and TJ. Soon, Jon followed suit, doing the type of hug that men seemed to think made them look manlier.

“Good to see ya, man,” Jon said to his friend.

“We decided to head here a day early. You know, surprise Jon and at least spend a couple hours of his birthday with him,” Vanessa told everyone once things had settled. She and TJ had pulled up chairs for themselves as Adam had taken the last available seat, next to Sarah, with David, Jon's brother, on the other side.

“Wait...am I the only one who hadn't known Sarah until my flight yesterday?” Adam asked, slightly confused at the interactions with everyone as they all seemed to be getting along as old friends.

Vanessa gave a confused look to Sarah, having not heard of her meeting with him, while Kelsi, Sarah and Jon let out a laugh at his expense.

Sarah just mouthed to Vanessa, “I'll tell you later.”

“Bur, these girls go way back,” Jon informed him, leaving it at that.

The night was filled with laughs and memories and soon, people started leaving. First, it was Andree and Bryan who were headed back to their hotel after wishing their oldest son a happy birthday once again. Everyone could tell that when Andree hugged Jon tightly, she whispered something most likely encouraging into his ear. Not long after they left did David decide that he was going to head out onto the town and hit up some clubs with Patrick Kane and a few other of the Blackhawks.

Adam, Jon and TJ started talking about random things, like their upcoming summers and Jon's charity golf tournament that they would all be attending, while the girls began picking up the dishes that had been used throughout the night. Sarah started with putting away some of the snacks and other items used through the night, while Vanessa helped Kelsi with the dishes.

“So you met Bur yesterday?” Vanessa asked as she helped with the task at hand.

Sarah sighed while Kelsi giggled at her expense.

“Yep, I did,” she told her friend in a clipped tone.

Vanessa shot Kelsi a look and then looked back to her friend, “Wait. What's the issue? Don't lie to us, we know you've had a little schoolgirl crush on him for a bit and you finally meet him, actually having a chance to get to know him or even be more than just friends with him and now you're an ice queen?”

“Honestly?” Sarah asked, pausing her actions. The other two nodded. “I wish I knew. I just met him and even though it was like meeting one of the Backstreet Boys or something when I was younger for me, I gave him sass. I didn't do it on purpose but there's also just something about him that doesn't make me want to be be nice to him.”

The other two girls just looked at her oddly.

“Oh, so you do have a crush on me,” a cocky voice sounded behind Sarah and she cringed, causing her friends to yet again giggle at her.

“Bur, what have I said about eavesdropping?” Kelsi playfully scolded him.

He just shot her one of his famous grins. “I was just coming in to say goodbye, goodnight and thanks for having me.”

“Of course, hun! You're welcome here any time,” she told him, giving him a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

“You too, Vanessa,” he told her. She returned the sentiments and hugged him as well. “Too much to ask for a hug, Sarah?”

Sarah rolled her eyes. “Goodbye Adam. I'll see you around.”

“Sarah, why don't you show him to the door. It's Adam, he could get lost anywhere,” Kelsi suggested.

“Yeah, walk me to the door, would ya?”

“Fine,” Sarah grumbled.

The two walked the short distance to the door and Sarah opened it, her way of showing him out.

“Look, I don't really know what I did to pis you off, whatever it is, I'm sorry. But you know, you should give me a chance. Just to be your friend. We're gonna see a lot of each other with our friends and you know it.”

Sarah let out a laugh, “You have no idea.”

Adam groaned in frustration. “You're always so elusive, using sentences like that! What the hell does it mean?!”

Sarah just looked at him, trying not to giggle at his irritation. “Hey Adam, give me your phone for a second.”

“Why?”

“Just do it.”

Reluctantly, he handed it over. A few seconds later, she handed it back to him.

“There, now you have my number as well as my permission to text me a few times but not to be obnoxious about it, or I will make you regret it. Use it to get ahold of me and when I'm not too busy with work, I'll get back to you as soon as I can.”

Adam grinned and pocketed his phone, bidding her goodbye and walking away.

“What did I just get myself into?” Sarah mumbled to herself as she shut and locked the door.