Status: Completed.

Fairytale Kiss

Friday Night

I walked into the venue, paying my five dollars to enter. I hung my jacket and bag up in the designated area, waiting for my best friends. When we were all ready we turned to the point of entry for the dance floor. Flanked by my best friends, Chloe and Shaneka, I walked in.
I looked around in the darkness, as music assailed my ears, for the guy who had promised he’d turn up. I caught sight of his distinctive height and hairstyle—if you call ‘just-gotten-out-of-bed’ a style, near some friends. I smiled, happy he’d turned up.
“Let’s go dance!” Chloe yelled at us as a song started up.
Both her and Shaneka raced up to the front and started dancing. I held back, a little less confident about my body and my ‘dance moves’.
“Hey!”
I looked around to see him, Joseph, my crush.
“Hey!” I answered, an automatic smile coming to my face.
“You look nice,” he complimented.
I blushed and smiled, my head tilting down to try and hide my red cheeks. I wasn’t wearing what I usually wore. In hopes to catch his attention I was wearing a slim fitting, halter neck, black dress that fell to just above my knees. I also had a touch of mascara and eyeliner on.
“Thank you,” I replied shyly, (I hated receiving compliments), “So do you.”
He always looked good in my eyes though.
“No I don’t,” he snorted derisively.
He was wearing a Metallica band shirt, along with his Nirvana jeans and Motörhead belt. It was only casual, but God, did he pull it off well.
“I-It suits you, much more t-than if you’d dressed up,” I replied, my voice starting to stutter in nervousness.
“Hey, I need to talk to you and Shaneka later,” he said, changing the subject.
It was a slap to the face, reminding me that my best friend and I liked the same guy. It reminded me of what I’d asked of him earlier that week, which was to dance with Shaneka and make her happy. It also reminded me that Holly was after him, and he’d promised her he’d give her a chance, but in light of recent events he was having difficulty choosing but tonight he was going to tell us who had won.
“Sure!” I replied, giving him a smile and not letting him know my heart had just dropped to the floor.
Never in a million years would he pick me over Holly. Holly was everything I wasn’t; beautiful, smart and funny. He gave me a warm smile before Chloe and Shaneka pulled me away to dance.

I settled down for about an hour, dancing, singing, being a general idiot while sneaking peeks at Joseph. At this point I was surrounded by my friends and we were a big group clumped around the speakers, having fun.
“Loz,” a familiar voice said in my ear.
I smiled and turned to see Joseph and Shaneka.
“So, who am I talking to first?” Joseph asked.
My nerves were now tighter than they’d ever been before, so I automatically replied with Shaneka. Joseph gave me a curious look and Shaneka turned to me.
“What? Why me?” she asked, before getting pulled away into the group to dance.
Joseph shrugged and gestured for me to follow him. I obediently followed him to a secluded area and waited for him to start. However; it was at this moment that everyone decided to swarm me.
They were like seagulls. They would not leave me alone.
“Please, could you please go away for a little while?” I begged several people, some twice, but every kept swarming.
I finally got pissed off and started yelling.
“Everyone, fuck off PLEASE!” I growled.
No one left so Joseph took my arm and dragged me off again, this time to a more secluded area. Some still tried to follow but I fashioned a glare and was later told Joseph gave a pretty vicious one as well.

When there was no one left to bother us I turned to face him expectantly.
“Look, I really, really, really like you,” he started.
I could almost taste the ‘but’ that was on its’ way, and I wanted to cry as the small hope I had extinguished, but I didn’t let any of it show.
“But I promised Holly I’d date her once Ashleigh and I broke up. And I don’t go back on my promises,” he said quietly to me.
I nodded and looked down slightly.
“I don’t want to though…I don’t feel for her what I do for you…I love you,” he said, those last three words just above a whisper.
My eyes widened and my heart crashed crazily in my chest as his eyes stared straight into mine. No one had ever told me they’d loved me before—excluding my family of course!
I didn’t know what to say back. I didn’t believe in love. I didn’t believe humans were capable of understanding and using the word correctly. I didn’t believe humans could really mean that they loved someone. Despite all that however, it was nice to hear all the same.
“That’s okay, I really, really like you too,” I blurted stupidly back.
I could have slapped myself. As it was I hung my head in shame from such a stupid thing to say.
“I don’t know what it is about you, but you’re the only girl I’ve ever felt nervous about since my first girlfriend,” Joseph murmured.
I gave him an unsure look because I didn’t know what he meant. Was it a compliment? Was it an insult?
“Don’t worry, I meant it as a good thing,” he hastened to reassure me.
“Okay,” I laughed, admittedly a bit nervous.
There was a bit of an awkward silence before he began to speak again.
“I want to dance with you tonight,” he said quietly.
I frowned slightly, Shaneka wanted to dance with him; even if she wouldn’t admit it to me.
“But, I thought you’d dance with Shaneka? It’d make her happy,” I asked, slightly confused.
He looked me square in the eyes and shook his head.
“No, you,” he said firmly.
I smiled softly and nodded.
“But…I don’t know how to…” I admitted.
He gave me an amused smile.
“Just follow my lead,” he suggested.
I nodded again and my smile grew. My very first dance with a guy! I honestly couldn’t wait!
“So, will you get Shaneka?” he asked.
I nodded quietly.
“And, I’m sorry,” he called after my turned back.
I looked at him and gave him a reassuring smile, even though I wanted to cry.
“It’s no worries, really,” I replied.
He smiled sadly and apologetically in response.

I left and grabbed Shaneka.
“Your turn,” I said to her and she nodded.
She and Joseph spoke for a bit before they both came out. Shaneka walked straight for us, the group I was currently dancing with, while Joseph walked to his best friend, Patrick.
“What did he say to you?” asked Shaneka.
“Just that he was going to date Holly,” I replied.
“Same here basically,” she responded.
I nodded and felt guilty.
“Are you okay?” I asked.
Shaneka gave me a wide smile and nodded.
“Yeah! I feel free!” she laughed.
I didn’t know have a clue how you could feel free after getting your heart broken, but I left it.

We were dancing for about half an hour before I crashed. All I could think about was Holly and Joseph. About how he would hold her, kiss her, dance with her. How he would tell her he loved her, how she was perfect, and about how I simply wasn’t good enough. I felt tears fill my eyes and I turned away and abruptly left. I didn’t want any of them to see me cry, especially not Joseph. I walked over to a more secluded area against a wall and, leaning against it, slid down to the floor and pulled my legs up to my chest. I always felt it was kind of, metaphorically, keeping me from falling to pieces when I sat like that. I bit my lip to try and keep the tears back and suddenly I saw a face in front of me. Shaneka.
I shook my head and put my face in my knees. I didn’t want to talk.
“I’m going to get Joseph,” she stated, standing up.
No! Anyone but him! He’ll ask me what’s wrong and I don’t want to hurt him! I begged mentally.
“JOSEPH!” Shaneka yelled.
Please don’t! He’ll be able to pull the answer out of me! Please… I pleaded in my mind.
She walked off a bit yelling and waving her arms at Joseph. I used that moment to run off.

I hid down the back, next to a big group of teenagers, hoping I blended in with them. Shaneka and Joseph passed by me without noticing me and a tear slowly trickled down my face. I wiped it off and waited patiently.
After another two minutes or so I was spotted and I was off, among the crowds of dancing people, trying to hide from Shaneka and Joseph. I was later told that I looked like I was stalking Shaneka and Joseph.
I finally lost Joseph and Shaneka so I went off to get a cup of water. I had just finished the cup and was calming down when the song finished and the DJ spoke.
“Okay, this next song is for all you lovebirds out there. Boys, here’s your chance to ask that girl to dance,” he called out to the people.
The opening bars for I’m Yours by Jason Mraz played and I froze. I wanted to dance with Joseph, but I was too scared to try and I mentally berated myself for running away and losing my chance at a dance with him. A movement towards me caught my eye and I turned to it. I saw Joseph coming towards me and I locked eyes with him. He gave me a smile and held his hand out for me. Almost of their own accord my legs carried me towards him.

I was trembling slightly as I reached him. His hand clasped mine and he led me close to the front before stopping and facing me. He stepped close to me and gently held my waist. Warmth radiated from his hands as I blushed. My arms were hanging awkwardly in the air, shaking from nerves.
“I-I-I d-don’t k-know,” I stuttered before breaking off, embarrassed.
Anyone would have thought I had an speech impairment.
Joseph chuckled lightly and gently guided my hands to behind his neck, bringing us closer. I blushed at the closeness as his hands returned to my waist. There was only 20 centimetres of space between us, at most and I could smell his deodorant faintly and I loved it. His hair was soft on my fingers and I absent mindedly began to gently play with it. My heart was skipping along, twice as fast as normal and it was the same for my breathing rate.
I looked up(Joseph was a good two inches taller than me, at least), and I saw the gentle affectionate smile on his face and I blushed and looked away, at the other couples.
“Don’t worry about them, just look at me,” he whispered to me.
I looked up and got caught in his eyes. They were honestly, the most amazing shade green I’d ever seen. There were flecks of light green, dark green, brown and yellow all mixing to create a beautiful artwork. I was dimly aware that we were dancing to the music, and faintly aware of the other people around us, but for the most part it was just Joseph and I in our own bubble. Looking into his eyes I felt like we were connected, because he was looking at me with the same intensity and I felt like I was falling into him.
I wish I could say the moment lasted forever but alas, life has other plans.

The song eventually ended and Joseph and I stopped dancing. I was still hopelessly caught up in his eyes and his arms circled around me, pulling me even closer so there was almost no room left between us. I never wanted to move. Joseph’s eyes finally broke contact as they flickered to my lips before returning to my eyes. My breathing hitched and I reflexively licked my lips. His head started to tilt down further and I automatically started to go on my tip toes to meet him in the middle. As our lips touched my eyes slid closed and EVERYTHING happened.
My breath caught in my throat and my knees went weak. I leaned more heavily on him and his grip tightened on my waist. My heart was skipping beats and thumping crazily as heat sent shivers down my spine. The rest of the world disappeared into nothingness as I became overwhelmed by everything that was Joseph. His smell, feel, taste, it was all intoxicating me and I wanted more.

He pulled away from me and I gave a soft gasp as I start breathing again. I could tell my eyes were like a star struck doe’s and my cheeks were flushed.
“Wow,” I breathed, it was the loudest noise I could make.
My very first kiss.
Joseph grinned and leaned down for another.
♠ ♠ ♠
I was fourteen when this happened, so that's why I may seem a little immature.
But nevertheless, I hope you enjoyed it.
And yes, I did feel all those cliche things.