Status: Every Day

I Blame This All Boy's Boarding School!

Chapter One

"Todd!" I cried, rushing towards the brown-haired, brown-eyed sixteen year old.

He broke out into a grin, standing up and taking a few steps away from the park bench. He opened his arms wide and I ran straight in to them. He wrapped them around my lower back, picked me up and swung me around.

This was how we always greeted each other. He was 6'4" and I was a mere 5'3". He set me back down and I looked up at him. It'd been 3 hours 14 minutes and 37 seconds since we'd seen each other last. Not long ago, I know.

"So, what is it that's so important you couldn't tell me over the phone?" he asked as we walked over towards the slide.

He stood down at the bottom while I climbed to the top. "Well," I started as I sat down," my parents are sending me away to a boarding school."

I slid down and finished what I was saying while he stood, looming over me. "So, I won't be in town when you come to visit me after you get settled in at your school."

He took my hands and helped me up. "Well, Juliet, I guess I just won't see you," he said, smiling.

"You'll be okay right? I know how hard it already is for you to go through a whole eight months without seeing my face but for a few days every now and then."

Todd inhaled a deep breath. "I don't know if I'll make it. What's the name of the school your going to? Maybe it's not too late to switch."

I made a face. "C'mon, Todd. You know I don't like having school with you."

"Why not?"

"'Cause you're always scaring the guys away." I stuck my tongue out.

Todd was muscular, really muscular. I remember my ex-boyfriend Jesse used to refer to him as my personal bodyguard. He smiled at me and replied, "None of them are good enough for you anyway."

"Who is good enough for this?" I joked, pointing to my face.

Todd shrugged, then grinned. "I know one person," he said.

I got this little "Oh-do-you-really?" look on my face. He picked me up in a bear hug. "I'm pretty sure I'm good enough for you," he said.

We were always goofing off with each other like this. Once he put me back down, I shook my head. He just shrugged. "So, really, Juliet, what's this school's name?" he asked.

I thought for a second. What was it? "Oooh, I can't remember, Todd," I responded.

"I always knew your hair color should have been blond."

I hit his arm. "Ooww," he said, rubbing the spot.

I rolled my eyes. "Don't be such a baby," I said.

He opened his mouth to reply, but my phone went off. I pulled the small nokia flip-phone out of my pocket. 'Mom' flashed across the screen.

I held up a finger to Todd and flipped it open. "Hey, mom," I said.

"Juliet, where are you?"

"I'm at the park...with Todd."

"Ooh. Well, that's nice dear." My parents didn't know Todd, but they didn't like him exactly...I think it was because of the fact that he's a werewolf and my parents are vampires. My mother always complained when I came home from hanging out with him because I "smelled like dog."

If Todd knew my parents were vampires, he never said anything. I don't think he even knows that I know that he's a werewolf. I'm not sure he wants me to know. But I'm pretty sure that if werewolves had a distinct scent, then so did vampires. So, surely, he could smell my parents scent on me.

"Yeaah. Well, what do you need, mom?"

"I need you to come back home, Juliet."

"Why?" I whined. I hated when I just got out of the house and was called to come back.

"You're going to school tomorrow! You need to pack."

"I'm leaving tomorrow!?"

"Yes, now hurry your butt up and get home, please." We both laughed lightly. Her please on the end just sounded funny.

"Okay, I'll be home in like fifteen minutes."

"Be careful, hun, it's getting dark."

"Yes, mom. I love you."

"I love you too, sweetheart,"she said before hanging up.

I flipped my phone shut, shoving it back into my dark denim skinny jeans pocket. Todd looked down at me. "So, what did she need?" he asked.

"I have to go home and pack my stuff. I'm leaving tomorrow," I grumbled, heading for the sidewalk.

Todd followed after me. "Can I walk you home?"

"I don't need you too, best buddy."

"But...I don't want you to walk home in the dark...alone."

Todd was always doing this. He walked me home if it was after dark. At sixteen, we could both drive. My parents,however, wouldn't let me drive my little green bug. Todd had a red corvette, but he didn't drive it often.

I sighed and nodded, giving in like I always did. The ten minute walk to my house was filled with jokes, laughter, and games like leap frog and tag. Sometimes it felt as if we were six instead of sixteen.

Todd walked me to the front door, where he swooped me up in another big hug. "Oh, Juliet, I'll miss you. However will I go on without seeing your beautiful face?" he asked, placing my feet back on the porch.

"You've managed these past three years. I'm sure you'll be fine."

"Maybe. But your going to a new school. One which will have new boys."

I smiled. "Yeah, boys who don't know you! Which gives me a better chance of getting a boyfriend," I said.

He put on a fake grumpy look. "Well, then, I guess I'll go since you obviously don't want me here." He turned and walked down the steps.

"I'll call you, okay?" I said.

He turned and smiled. "I'll be waiting," he replied before rushing off down the driveway.

I shook my head to myself and went inside my house. Tomorrow should be fun...