Status: Active :)

I'm No Superhero; Just Your Ordinary Freak

Something Out of the Ordinary

"Hey!" I called over the music, reaching for a can I knew I couldn't reach.
"Hey," Chris smiled, looking shocked to see me. He saw my outstretched hand and quickly put his long limbs to work. "Here," he grabbed the can effortlessly from in front of him and handed it to me.
"Thanks," I smiled, bending the metal back until an inaudible hiss sounded through the pounding room.
"How are you?" Chris swayed slightly with the music, looking a lot more comfortable than I thought he'd be at a high school party.
"Good," I lied. "How about you?"
His eyes ran over my face, and I hoped he couldn't see the slight tinge Peril had placed in my cheeks. "I'm good. You wanna find somewhere quieter to talk?" He leaned closer towards my ear so I could hear him. We stood in a quieter section of the house, where sodas were being served instead of tequila shots and beer.
"You trying to get me alone in a room?" I joked, grinning cheekily.
Chris' face flushed satisfyingly, and he quickly averted his gaze. "Of course not," he stuttered, fiddling with his own can.
I laughed merrily and shook my head. "Let's go outside."
He nodded and led the way, weaving through the swaying crowd and stumbling kids.
"Amateurs," I snickered, making Chris grin.
"Don't you wanna join them?" Chris leaned down so I could hear him, as we passed through the house's lounge.
I shook my head. "Nah. I don't party with kids."
He eyes me again. "Somehow, I don't doubt that."
I just grinned back smugly.
"Here we are," Chris pulled open the front door for me, letting a stream of people enter the house in the process.
"Favourite ice cream?" Chris asked, taking a bite of his hamburger.
"Easy," I mumbled through a mouthful of food, making us both laugh. "Anything with chocolate. You?"
Chris' eyes lit up, like a child's. "Ever had birthday cake?"
I groaned jokingly. "Jeez, you're making me crave ice cream, and I just satisfied my burger need!" I pouted jokingly, chucking my wrapper into a bin we passed.
Chris laughed, putting a hand up in self defense, and holding his burger with the other. "Hey," he stopped, staring at me.
"What?" I froze, reaching up and touch the side of my face self-consciously (gotta keep up the act, ya know?).
"Where did your burger go?"
I rolled my eyes and giggled. "I was hungry," I said shyly, looking at my feet.
"At least I know you eat like a normal person." Chris continued walking, and I followed suit. "Sometimes you'd swear half the girls at our school were aliens or something," he laughed, and I joined in half-heartedly. "Its like they don't know what food is."
I shrugged, dragging my scuffed converse slightly. "Food is good," what an understatement. "I'd die without it," I forced a grin, knowing my body required three times the normal amount of a human.
Chris stared down at me with approval as we made our way down the sidewalk. "You're something else, Leila."
"Thanks."
We walked in silence, and I took in the boring scenery of the town, and acted like I actually cared to know the unnecesary details Chris shared enthusiasticly.
"Hey, look," he pointed suddenly.
I blinked and tried to pretend I had been paying attention. "What?" I said urgently, stopping in my tracks like he had.
"Its a full moon," Chris cooed, staring up at the star lit sky.
The fact that we were in the heart of the town, and could see the stars, should tell you just how economically developed the town was.
"Wow," I breathed, but for a different reason. I could see the crevaces and cavities that were imprinted into the moon's surface. I really didn't know what Chris found so amazing, seeing as he barely had 20/20 vision with his glasses on.
Curse Peril for putting me in such a foul mood.
"Isn't nature beautiful?"
"Yeah..." I breathed, running my eyes over the dotted sky. "If only humans would just let it be."
"We really have a way of destroying the planet," Chris said in agreement, and I was glad he hadn't picked up on the depth of my statement. "I wonder how many werewolves are going to be out tonight."
I couldn't help the burst of laughter that erupted from my chest. "Well, look who turned out to be a Twihard fan," I nearly buckled over from laughter, plus the look on Chris' face was priceless.
"What? No ways!" He shook his furiously, only making me laugh more. "That movie was awful. I'm just interested in the whole supernatural thing. Like vampires and werewolves and witches, and all of that mythological stuff."
My laughing stopped abruptly, and I had to force out a few hollow chuckles to decrease the attention I'd drawn to my suddeness. "Why the supernatural?" I asked, feeling a queasiness build up in my stomach as a look of animation and admiration took over Chris' face.
"Who doesn't want to be invincible?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback, my lovelies <3