That Friend of Mine

January

To me, she was just a mop of straight blonde hair with a funky streak of red and a thin body that used to be fat. You could tell that she still thought she was, the way she clutched the books so close to her stomach, as if blocking the supposed grossness from the world. The teacher, walked on over. New student, I thought, my first guess of what a shy girl I hadn’t seen around before would be doing in this class. My eyes glanced over to the empty spot next to me, a slight smile slipping into place. I liked meeting new people. Every unknown face was a fresh start, a blank slate that I could reinvent myself with. Each identity I crafted, each mask I slipped on for another person, grew old or too heavy. I wish I knew then what I know now, I wish I knew that a mask would never stay on long for this girl.

My fluffy haired social studies teacher walked over, a hand lightly pressed against the blonde’s shoulder, guiding her to the empty desk next to mine. I caught the name “Ashlyn” and “welcome” in her hushed whispering’s. A bigger smile replaced the original one, satisfied in how right I was.

“This is the new girl.” She trotted off to answer another student’s question, leaving me to introductions.

I introduced myself with a glance, not giving her a chance to ask the obvious question. I could tell she was nervous, or maybe she was just always this shy. I secretly hoped not, quiet girls are always a pain to talk to, especially since I wasn’t the best at small talk.

“So where you from?” I asked, doing my best to get the ball rolling. She smiled, a the slight tendrils of friendship beginning.

We chatted, easily for a first time conversation, for the rest of class as I pointed out the goods and the bads of this class, demanded to see her schedule, and ahh-ed and groaned at her good and bad teachers.

“Looks like we just have 3rd and 4th together. 5th period’s lunch, do you want to sit with me and my friends?” I’d done this a million times before, new students would gravitate to me, I’d show them around and offer them a seat in the lunch room, and they’d wander off a week or so later. I never did imagine how deep this girl would get to me, how much she’d give me and how much she would take.
♠ ♠ ♠
First attempt at a true life story. Don't be to harsh, please, but don't be shy on criticism!