Status: finished!

Wonderwall

we've got so much to prove

The parents were back and everything went back to normal- John was no longer staying night after night at my house.

Having time to myself again was not good for my stress level right now. I still hadn’t gotten one call of acceptance and I was beginning to freak out. I sat on the couch watching MTV, where an interview with Ryan Adams was being shown. Garrett had gotten me slightly obsessed with this band, leaving his CD in my car and I hadn’t learnt yet how to change it myself. I was hopeless with that sort of stuff.

The phone rang next to me and I picked it up, “Hello.”
“Hey poop!” Garrett, just in time.
“Yowie!”
“Kayden,” he groaned, “Garrett, not Yowie. Garrett, alright?”
“Yowie, why so upset?” I laughed.
“Anyway, what are you doing and speak quickly before you miss it.”
“Ryan Adams is on television and I am a proud viewer of this magical interview, my friend.”
“I’m so glad we’re friends. Well done little child, I have taught you well.”
“You know what you haven’t taught me? How to change the CD in my car.”
Garrett burst out laugh, “You- don’t,” insert chuckle here, “sorry, you still don’t know how? I’ve shown you three times Kayden!”
I huffed, “Whatever, just write the instructions down on a piece of paper.”
“Will do, little grade three-er.”
“You suck, goodbye.”
“Bye bye baby,” he laughed one last time.
I hung up the phone and turned back to the television.

-

I hadn’t even realised that a couple of hours had gone by as I still sat in front of the television. Know watching the new, I was bored out of my mind. The guys all had band practice, getting ready for the upcoming tour which was now final. I was ecstatic that I was going on tour with them. We were leaving in three weeks and I had already started packing. John thought that was funny, I didn’t see how it was.

This time, my mobile phone rang the infamous song ‘La Cienga Just Smiled’ by the one and only Ryan Adams. It must be his lucky day.
“Hello.”
“Hi, is this Kayden Sommers?” It was a woman, that was all I could tell so far.
“This is she, may I ask who is calling?”
“Hello Kayden, this is Marilyn. I work for Vogue in New York, I recently received your application of an internship. Is this correct?”
My ears perked up, “Yes, this is all correct.”
“Well, I am incredibly glad it is. I looked over your application and all of your high school credentials and I must say, I was extremely impressed with it all. Therefore, I would like to offer you a two year internship at Vogue New York.”
I was speechless, but I had said before that the first acceptance of an application, I would take and I never go back on my word. Plus, this was the biggest place I had applied to and them offering me an internship was overwhelming. What about my family? John? John’s family? All the guys? The tour?
Dizziness was not what I needed right now.
“This is all so sudden. When does it begin? I have no place to stay in New York, I’d have to look for an apartment and get all of my stuff shipped there. Are there not trials first?”
She interrupted me, “Your application was that extraordinary, Vogue decided to let you have it as yours was the most impressive to all of us. It would begin in approximately three weeks, but we’d appreciate you getting settled in New York a week earlier. We have arranged an upstate apartment for you, if you decided that this internship is what you are looking for- all expenses paid including bills. The rest is all up to you.”
“I accept the internship,” I stated without a blink or second thought.
“Well, a package will be soon arriving at your house with all information and I am pleased to say that you are the most latest addition to the Vogue family, here in New York.”
“Thank you very much.”
“No problem darling, I’m glad we have someone like you joining us. I shall see you when your plane arrives in New York.”
“Goodbye.”
I hung up the phone, gobsmacked. I had no idea what I had just done, but I was relieved. I knew now what I was going to do. I’d also be leaving in two weeks for New York and I was supposed to be leaving for tour in three weeks- there was no way that was happening now. What was I going to tell John?

-

My parents came home from work and saw me sitting on one of the stools in the kitchen. It had been two days since I had accepted the internship and the package had arrived in the mail today. I hadn’t mentioned it to anybody, but I felt that my parents deserved to know first.
“Hey darling,” my mum said.
“Hi mum, dad.”
“What’s up Kayden?” The both of them looked at me cautiously, as I stared at all the information in front of me. I pushed it towards them.
I swear five minutes had passed by the time both of them had gotten what it was about.
My Dad hugged me, “I’m so proud of you. I knew you could do it. But New York? That’s a long way from home.”
“I know, but it feels right. A little.”
It was Mum’s turn to wrap her arms around me, “I’m going to miss you. You’re leaving in two weeks? You better start re-packing. Does John know about this?”
I looked down.
“He doesn’t know about this?”
“Not exactly... no, he does not know about this. You two are the only ones who know about this so far.”
“Kayden, you have to tell him. It means you’re not going on tour with him. You have to sort something out with him about this.”
“I know mum, I’m going to bed now. Goodnight, love you two.”
“Love you sweetie.”
“Night Kayden, loves.”

I walked slowly up the stairs and into my room, looking at the suitcases lying around the room. I unpacked everything and put things in piles. I’ll have to get boxes for all of this and order a truck to drive it to New York, in time for it to be there when I get there.

-

The next day was filled with packing. John had called asking to hang out but I said I was too busy right now, cleaning, because that was what I was doing- cleaning my stuff up to get ready to move to New York.

All that was left were a couple of clothes, toiletries and other necessities. The truck had come the previous hour and taken it all to my new apartment, which by the pictures that came in envelope looked beautiful. It was a two bedroom, one bathroom, kitchen, lounge room, dining room and even laundry room apartment with hardwood floors and a neat fireplace. The color scheme was black and white, but I was sure to add some color to it and mix it up a little to make it more me.

I decided after that it was time I should start telling people of my departure. I should’ve started with John, but instead, I called Garrett who was conveniently with Pat.
“Hey,” Pat answered the phone.
“I’m coming over guys.”
“Sure,” and he hung up.

The drive was quiet.
♠ ♠ ♠
Only 3-ish chapters left, guys ):
I'm unsure of whether to write a follow up or not- help!
Don't be silent, wonderful readers.