Status: :D :D :D

Big Bad Handsome Man

Nouveau Noir & Ma Cherie

Once he made it safely down the street, he caught a cab and found himself telling the driver to go to Nouveau Noir. It was his favorite hole in the wall café, where no one really knew who he was, aside from a regular, or if they did, they didn’t bother him. He had a loyal waitress who never messed up his order and though she made small talk, she never pestered him. And he needed that right now.

The drive wasn’t as long as he expected and after the cab left him in a hurry, hoping to squeeze another citizen of their money, he found her leaning against a wall with a cigarette between her lips. She looked up, and smiled softly, taking another long drag.

“Looks like you had a long night, so I’m guessing you just want coffee today. Just black and piping hot, I know. Go sit at your table,” she told him.

He laughed and took out his cigarette, sitting on the metal railing that lined the sidewalk entrance. He lit it with a Bic lighter and shoved it in his pocket, inhaling it as deeply as she had.

“I must be coming around too much for you to know me that well, but I suppose it’s good because I hardly know my name right now. I hope you don’t mind me having my own cigarette with you,” he added, gesturing with the cancer stick.

She laughed and shrugged,” It doesn’t matter if I do—I’m here to please customers, not myself.”

“Oh, ouch, that was cold, lady,” he joked.

“As I’m sure the pillow will be for your innocent victim from last night,” she told him, smirking and inhaling more of the venomous air.

“She was no innocent, believe me,” he told her, slightly and also, genuinely, hurt by her comment.

She looked down for a moment, staring at the comfortable Vans on her feet. He stabbed his cigarette out angrily, and then when it broke, he cursed and threw it to the ground. He forced a smile when she looked up, and shrugged.

“I guess I better get my seat before someone takes it,” he said, moving to go inside.

Just as he grabbed the door, her hand was on his shoulder, and he turned back in surprise. Almost as surprised herself, she pulled it away, and timidly looked away. Despite being a waitress, she was somewhat shy, but she forced herself to look back at him.

“Look, I didn’t mean it like it came out. It was supposed to be a joke, but I guess it wasn’t funny. You know how I am, good for small talk and nothing else,” she paused here but before he could say anything she continued,” Anyway, let me get you that coffee.”

She crushed what was left of her cigarette under her toe and then went through the door he held for her, unable to look back at him. He could only stare after her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Bit of French there! I have to give credit to my friend, Gabriel, for helping me come up with a beginning & the name for the lovely cafe. (:

Again, all comments are appreciated!