Status: Chapter two will be up soon!

The Lost

His Angel

No memories, no life outside their own world, no names, no families, no identity. They were the Lost, and that's all they'd ever be.

The Lost were only children. Most had arrived when they were barely old enough to walk on their own. Some had wandered in on their own, while others had been carried by older children, and taken care of until they could care for themselves to some degree.

They simply lived in their tiny camp as if a society run by children was normal. Of course, everything is normal when it is all you know.

______________________________________________________________________________________
Dilbert proudly watched over the others from his chair in the center of the camp. Being the eldest of all the children, at seventeen years of age, he'd been declared the leader. He'd become a fatherly figure among the lost children. After all, he was the only paternal person anyone remembered.

Dilbert was different from the others. He was the only one to remember so much as his name. Unfortunately, the rest of his life was a cloudy blur.

The Lost consisted of about forty children, ranging between the ages of five to seventeen. Just to name a few, there was Bubbly, with her innocent charms, and the avid reader, Brainy, as well as the twins, Prince and Princess, who were above the others in class and knew it a little too well.

And then there was Angel. Sweet, gentle, beautiful Angel. The apple of everyone's eye, especially Dilbert's. He had his eyes locked on her since the day she'd wandered into the camp almost ten years ago, when they were both only seven. Now, at seventeen, he was more enchanted by her than ever. She'd grown from a small, sweet little girl with curly blond pigtails and sparkling blue-green eyes to an angelic princess, gifted with both grace and a kind heart.

Now Dilbert had very rarely spoken to the girl, but he had enjoyed watching her as she went about the camp doing her chores. Everyday, she'd leave her cabin, do her morning stretches, braid her thick, waist length hair and weave colourful flowers into it, then head out to the lake. While there, she'd sing to herself in her perfect soprano voice as she washed the clothes, and then she'd--

"Dil? What are ya starin' at?"

Dilbert broke his concentration at the sound of the voice. A little girl stood in front of him. She seemed to be patiently awaiting an answer. "Nothing Bubbly. Go on and play."

Bubbly crossed her arms and stuck out her bottom lip. Dilbert should have known that answer wouldn't work. The seven year old girl was known for her determination. "Ya were starin at Angel again, weren't cha?"

Blood rushed to Dilbert's cheeks. "N-n-n-no I wasn't."

"Were too!" Bubbly squeaked. She wrapped her tiny fingers around his hand. "Come talk ta her!"

Dilbert tried to break free, but Bubbly refused to let go. "Let's not disturb her, Bee, she's probably pre-occupied!"

"It's just laundry Dil, I'm sure she won't mind us distracting her!" Bubbly said confidently. She continued to pull until they were close enough for Angel to hear her. "Heya Angel!"

Angel looked away from her laundry pile and smiled. "G'morning Bubbly, g'morning Dilbert! Is there something you need?"

Bubbly nodded enthusiastically. "Dil wants ta help ya with the laundry!"

Angel wrinkled her nose, not in discust, but in confusion. "Really?"

"Yupyup! C'mere Dil! Angel's gonna show ya how!" Bubbly pushed Dilbert down beside Angel. She then pulled some clothes from the basket in front of Angel and roughly forced them into Dilbert's hand. "I'm off to play now! Byebye!"

Dilbert avoided Angel's eyes and struggled to hide his embarrassment. Most girl would laugh at him, but Angel was different. She smiled and let out a soft giggle. "Isn't she just the sweetest? I wonder if I was that cute as a child."

As hard as he tried, Dilbert just could not force out the words 'You were even cuter.' He gave up and began to slowly wash the clothes. It wasn't until he'd gotten through most of the clothes that he noticed Angel's absent minded gaze. Of course, she wasn't looking at him. Her eyes were locked on the bridge across the lake. On the other side of this bridge was the outside world, completely hidden by the thick forest.

"I wonder what's out there." She finally said after what must have been an hour of silence.

"You probably aren't missing much." Dilbert said bluntly.

She sighed. "But what if I am? What if someone is out their looking for me? A mother, a father, a friend, a lover?" A smile crossed her lips on the last word. "Does anyone even know I'm gone?"

"Who knows. It's too dangerous to go out there though." Dilbert insisted.

Angel nodded. "I know. But it's nice to dream." She looked from Dilbert to the bridge and back again. "Besides, what if it's not everything I dream it must be? I couldn't cope with the disappointment."

"You're right. It's best to stay and dream."

That wasn't the answer Angel had wanted. She stood up and dusted of her white dress. "I'd best be off. The others will be looking for their clothes. Thanks for all your help Dilbert."

"It was nothing. Would you like some help carrying it back?" he asked.

"No no," She insisted as she lifted the basket, "I'll be fine. See you later."

As he watched her walk away, he was struck with guilt. It wasn't that he wanted to crush her dreams and kill her ambitions, but he just couldn't lose his Angel.