Sequel: Kids With Guns
Status: Completed

Don't Get Lost in Heaven.

Chapter Four

September, 15th 2005 Saturday

Standing there in the school parking lot, I had never felt so alone. Even though I knew Oliver was on his way to pick me up, I couldn’t help but feel cold and afraid. My chest hurt, my throat was tight from restraining myself from sobbing and my heart fluttered in my ribs like a trapped bird. Desperately, I wiped at the make-up running down my cheeks that were like thin black veins, hoping that I wouldn’t look like a complete wreck.

It was about twenty minutes later when Oliver arrived; he practically exploded out of his car, and quickly trotted over to me. Worry is evident on his handsome face, his hands snaking their way onto my shoulders. Gooseflesh ran up and down on my arms at his touch, his fingers so hot compared to my chilled skin.

“Are yeh al'righ?” He asked, his index finger pressed under my jaw, forcing me to look up at him.

My chin began to quiver, and I felt so stupid for wanting to cry in front of him. It was all I could do to keep myself from screaming at him that nothing is alright!

Instead I shook my head and nudged him toward the car. I didn’t want to speak, I knew if I did, I’d burst out crying and that was the last thing I wanted to do right now. Maybe if I could just get to somewhere more private?

The car ride is quiet besides the soft hum of music emanating from the speakers.

Finally, I felt the courage to speak up.
“I… I was kicked out o' me home.”

Oliver nodded.

I continued:
“My grandparents found Danny’s weed in 'is room an' Grumpy mus 'ave beaten the shi' outta Danny to ge' him to spill his guts abou' everything I’ve done… though he did keep yeh ou' of the equation. Which is good…”

Oli didn’t say anything for a long while, just registering my words.

“Wha' did they do wif yeh brother?”

Tilting my head back so it pressed into the headrest, I replied,
“They’re lettin' 'm stay at the house, because 'e was clean befor'…”

“Befor' 'e went to my 'ouse?”

I nodded sluggishly, feeling the tears burn my eyes again.

We finally reach his home, all the lights are on and it just looks like a giant, fat lightening bug that is permanently stuck to the ground. Both of us clamber out of the car, slam the door and walk in unison toward the brightly lit building. Oliver chuckles quietly as we reach for the handle of the door together.

“Great minds think alike, eh?” He asks.

I half smile and allow him to open the door. Oli had been polite enough to carry my luggage inside; he set them in the living room and turned to face me. I stood quietly, staring at my hands which were finally not shaking.

“Yeh 'ungry?”
Oliver’s huge brown eyes scope around the room as if food would come pouncing out of nowhere.

“Give meh somfing strong. I wan' to fo'get. At least fo' one night.”

He gives me a perplexed stare, “Drugs?”

I nod.

Oliver gives me a smirk, though it looks like he’s in pain rather than happy about what I’m asking for. Wanting. Needing.

"'Old on,”
He vanishes down a hallway,
“MATT! GE' THA FUCK UP!”

A tired Matt comes stumbling out, clutching a clear plastic baggie in his hand; white sediment sits at the bottom of it. Oli is a few feet behind him, giving him a shove forward when he needs it. He then grabs the bag from Matt and holds it out for me to see.

“This shi', righ' 'ere, this is what yeh need.”

My eyes couldn’t tear away from the object as he pulled it open and began setting three lines up on a DVD case. Oliver then began digging around in his back pocket, until his hand brought out a single dollar bill. He rolled it up, bent down and snorted up a line. I watched mesmerized.

Oli snapped back up straight, wiping at his nose and letting out small snorting nosies as he hands me the rolled up bill.

Like a good student, I did exactly what he had done.