Tough Guy

The End

Image

“Brian!” McKenna raced at me and I scooped her up for a huge hug. Before I’d set her down shes pointed at Matt, “I ‘member you. You found my lovey-bear!”

“Yep, that’s me. Do you remember my name?” He asked, smiling at her.

“Nope. Too long ago.” She shrugged and I put her on her feet.

“That’s Matt, McKenna.” I watched as she walked over to him and appraised him with a squint.

“You were mean to Brian. Why are you here?”

“You know how little boys on the play ground are mean to you cause they like you?” Matt asked bending down to her level.

She nodded, “Tommy Masingo always pulls my pigtails and then tries to kiss me.”

Oh, Lord, there goes my sanity already. Boys are trying to kiss her at five? What was going to happen at fifteen?

“Well that’s why I was mean to Brian. Cause I wanted to kiss him.” He smiled at her.

She turned her head sideways and narrowed her eyes, “You kiss boys?”

“Not all boys, just Brian.” He smiled a little, “Though he’s like you, he ran from me at first.”

“Why? You’re pretty.” She shrugged.

Aw! I laughed a little and bent to her level too, “Because I didn’t want him to know I wanted to kiss him too.”

“Oh. So did you kiss him?” She asked, her eyes wide.

“Yep. He’s my boyfriend now.” Matt said proudly.

She clapped, “Good job!”

I laughed and reached out to tickle her, “So you understand that Matt and I are like . . .mommy and daddy are?”

She nodded, “You smooch when you think no one’s looking and hold hands and buy each other gifts, right?”

“That’s right.”

“Okay!” She started to walk off and then came back, “But aren’t you supposed to do that with girls?”

“Well, yes, but some guys would rather do that with guys. And we’re those kind of guys.” I tried to explain.

“Oh, okay.” She smiled and reached out to wrap her arms around my neck, “Pick me up?”

“Ugh, you’re getting so heavy.” I pretended that she was weighing me down and I couldn’t get up, sending her into a fit of giggles. “Save me, Matt!”

He scooped her up, “Are you trying to drag my Brian down? Huh? Huh, punk?”

“Yep!” She giggled more, squirming in his arms.

He swung her up on his shoulders, “Well that takes care of that. Come on, B., I can see your dad watching us from the porch.”

“Alright.” I headed toward the house and was greeted with a hug by Dad and watched him shake hands with Matt. Suzy came out after a moment and gathered me in a hug.

She looked up at McKenna, “Don’t take advantage of Matt being so big, Mck. It’s not nice. Hi, Matt!”

“Hi, Suzy.” He smiled and hugged her one armed, “And don’t worry about McKenna. I put her there.”

“Oh, okay. So lunch will be ready in a few. Where’s Amy?” She frowned.

“Oh, she’ll be here in a few moments. We left her cause she wasn’t ready to go. I’m not sure who primps more, her or Brian.” Matt rolled his eyes.

I glared at him, “You primp just as much as I do, Matt. I just have more hair.”

“Right, right.” He smirked and swung McKenna to her feet.

About that time, Amy pulled up and hurried up the stairs, “Hi, Suzy! Hi, Mr. Haner!”

My dad laughed, “Amy, honey, it’s Brian. I’ve told you-”

“That’s so confusing when this Brian is here too though.” She pointed at me.

“Then call me Syn and him Brian.” I suggested, “It’s what the guys do.”

“Oh, okay.” She beamed a smile, “Where’s Brent?”

“Right here, baby.” Brent came out, glanced at Matt, and kissed her cheek.

Matt laughed, “Dude, I’m not gonna bust you for kissing my sister. I’m glad you two are together.”

“Sorry. It’s an instinct when you see a big brother standing there.” Brent turned to smile down at Amy who dimpled up at him.

Matt squeezed my hand and I breathed a sigh of relief. I was just glad they worked out.

Dad clapped his hand, “What do you say we go out and shoot my new gun, guys? Have some targets set up in back.”

“Sounds good to me.” I grinned and Matt groaned a little.

Dad smirked, “Don’t worry about it, Matt. Before long you’ll be able to out shoot Junior any day.”

“Good luck with that.” I muttered and we followed Dad outside.

We took turns shooting his new pistol and I was surprised that Matt actually hit the target several times. Dad clapped him on the back before turning to Amy, “You wanna take a try?”

“Sure!” She took the gun from him and aimed carefully.

I nudged Brent and he slid up behind her to cup his hands around hers, holding her arms steady and supporting her for the kickback. Matt came over to me and kissed my cheek, “You trying to teach him how to be like you?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean that you are teaching him to baby her like you try to baby me.” He grinned and looped his arms around me.

I leaned against him, “Yeah, well, its an instinct. Don’t bitch about it-”

“Oh, baby.” He sighed into my skin, “I’m not bitching about it. I love it. You tear all of my defenses down and it’s what I need.”

I turned to face him, “What do you mean?”

“I mean that every time you try to baby me, every time you play the bitch, every time you show me you love me it breaks through all those walls I built around myself as a child. You tear them down, throw them away, and make me see myself for who I am. I’m not a tough guy, I’m not a bad ass. Hell, I’m not even a macho guy. I’m a fucking fairy in love with my pansy.”

I laughed and pressed my lips to his, glad to be his pansy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to all the readers (154, I think) and subscribers (48) which is the highest I think I've ever had and definitely to all my loyal, beautiful comment-leavers: bloodyvengeance, bloodravyn, xXxJustxXxBreathexXx, Miss.CorrCorr (you're amazing!), BloodyLilRebel, Hot Chelle Rae (sorry I forgot to thank you when you commented), IComeAliveAtNight, bri-jess, xxblackvenusxx, and hopelessly hopeful. You guys rock.