Broken Hearted

The News

*Four Soldiers Killed In Helmend Due To Road Side Bomb. Third Fatal Bomb Attack In The Past Two Week. Their Families Are Yet To Be Informed.*

At that moment I switched the TV channel. I couldn't bare this News when Luke was potentially going out there. The thought killed me every time

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I pulled out of a intense kiss with Luke for a breather. He stood up from the bed and walked over to the window.

"Luke? Whats wrong?" I asked. Scared for the answer.

"I had a letter when I got home. From the army college." My heart beat increased and my stomach traveled up to rest in my throat.

"And?" I barely breathed.

"They have accepted my application."

"What.....What does that mean? Your joining next year or something?" I whispered unable to raise my voice any louder.

"No. Sarah......It means I'm dropping out of sixth form. I'm starting next week." He said slowly finally turning to face me. Slowly what he had just said was finally clicking into place.

"You...You cant!" I said, voice shaking.

"I can hun, I am. You knew this was coming." He said rather calmly, coming to sit besides me on the bed.

"Yes......But not this soon. I...I thought I had time....More time with you.....to convince you not to join!" I burst

"Sarah be reasonable." He pleaded.

"Reasonable! Four men were killed today in a roadside bomb! Every time I see that I think about you! I don't want to lose you. Think about how me and your parents will be like when we hear that on the New not knowing if its you or not!" I all bar screamed.

"Your overreacting. It wont come to that. Its something I really want to do. You could at least be supportive." He said getting angry now.

"Supportive! I'd support you in almost everything but not where your likely to get killed." I shot back before storming out of his room.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I lay up in my room sobbing. We had argued before but not like this. He had always stayed calm and I had never screamed at him. I knew this day would come where he would have joined but not so soon.

"Sarah. You have a guest." came my mothers calm voice from the doorway. I lifted my tear streaked face to turn them away when I saw Luke stood in the door way.
His face saddened with the sight of my red puffy eyes. He slowly made his way to my side and held me tightly for a while.

"Sarah....I'm sorry. I Love you and hate seeing you upset. Forgive me?"

"Always," I promised. "I'm sorry too. Who am I to stand in the way of your happiness."

"Your my girlfriend. Your bound to be upset. This affects you as well."

"How soon?" I asked dreading the answer.

"Until what hun?"

"Until you'll have to leave."

"Couple of months perhaps,"

"So soon?" I managed after taking a few deep breaths.

"I know baby I know."

"Luke?"

"Umm?"

"There's something I want to do?"

"Whats that?"

"Before you go...."

"Yeah..."

"Well you know." I said burying my face into his chest waiting for the penny to drop. And after a couple of minutes.....

"Oh!" He said shocked. He put his hand under my chin making me look into his eyes. "Are you sure?"

"I want you to be my first.....And to show you how much I love you."

"I already know how much you love me Sarah." He said tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"I want to."

He pressed his lips softly to mine then held me tightly for a while