Status: active :)

Untitled

Damn it Casey

For the next week I didn’t see Cody. Even when we went back to school, I got the feeling he was purposefully avoiding me. During my classes my mind would drift to insane scenarios. Like he would tell Jaci he liked her back and they both planned to avoid me for the rest of their lives. For one week I freaked out over stupid crap like that.
I had almost given up hope until I got a call Friday after noon. I answered, “Hello.”
“Paige, it’s good to hear your voice.” It was Cody.
My heart stopped, “Hey Cody.”
“Can you possibly sneak out? I’m sitting in the driveway.”
“Well, considering I’m the only one at home, it looks like that’s going to be nearly impossible.” He chickled. “I’m on my way out.” The phone line went dead. I grabbed my coat and headed towards the garage.
As the garage door came up I saw him. He was leaning against his glossy black truck. He was smiling, it took me by surprise. His voice on the phone did not indicate that he was smiling. He stood up straight and walked to meet me. “Hey,” he said as he opened his arms.
I fell into them and his arms wrapped around me. “So what did you want to talk about?” I asked as he released me. It was surprisingly warm for a January day in Arkansas.
“Well I might have a solution.”
“Really?”
“Yeah, come on.” he took my hand and led me to the truck. The truck was absolutely huge, at least two feet off the ground. It used to be his older brother’s truck, but he left the truck behind when he went to college so it was now Cody’s. It was the envy of every guy at school.
“Where are we going?”
“Just relax and enjoy the ride.” He smiled as he reached up to open the door and helped me climb up into the truck. The car smelled new even though it was years old. The inside was just spotless as the outside. He hopped into the driver’s seat and we were off.
My heart was beating out of my chest the whole car ride. He pulled into the parking lot of a playground that I used to play at when I was little. I looked at him questioningly.” Come on.” he said giving me a coy smile. He got out of the car and came to my side to help me out of the monster of a car. He took my hand and led me to the bed of his truck. He let the gate down and I saw blankets laid out along with other miscellaneous items.
“What is this?” I asked.
“Well since you’re so fond of trunks, I thought why not talk back here.” he patted the bed, and jumped backward sliding onto the unfolded gate. I hopped in after him.
“So you figured this,” I gestured between the two of us,”out?”
“I think I have.” he remained quiet, and I wondered if he was going to elaborate.
“Would you like to share that information?”
He seemed to ‘come back’ to reality,”Yeah, sorry. I think we should just take one obstacle at a time. Just roll with the punches, you know. And if it gets to hard and complicated, then we’ll stop, but I just want to at least know that I tried. You know what I mean?”
I did, I totally got what he meant. That had been my mantra given to me by my grief therapist since day 1. The whole cherish everyday and live it like its your last.” I totally get it , and you’re right.”
He smiled, “Well that’s a relief. I thought you would think that I was crazy.”
“Of course not! Everyone has been telling me that same thing ever since Taylor, and I don’t think I ever listened to them, until now.” All of the sudden, without knowing how I got there, I was in his arms. His breath felt warm, cozy even, on the back of my neck. He let go of me a gestured to the blankets, “cold?” he asked, and for the first time I realized that I was shivering. I nodded and hastily moved under the big patchwork quilt.
With his body close it was almost hot underneath the blanket. His hand moved searching for mine, he found it enveloping my small hand in his larger one. “So how was your day?” he asked, looking at me.
I turned to face him, too,”It was okay, I was freaking out though, because I thought you were planning on avoiding me for the rest of my life. Now that you did I think I’ll finally be in a good mood, and I might actually have fun at the party tonight. So honestly, I cant complain. What about you?”
“I couldn’t tell you.” now he was trying to confuse me ,” I was to busy thinking about us, to really notice anything else.”
“I like the sound of that.” I said softly.
“Sound of what?”
“Us.”
“Me, too.” he said. He released my hand and took my face in both of his as if it was fragile. He moved closer and brushed his lips against mine. “I like it a lot.” He smirked, and started kissing me, like really kissing me. My hand came to rest on his lower back and I tried to pull him closer to me. He came willingly, pushing myself into him.
Soon I couldn’t breathe and had to pull away. I laid back and just looked at him. I could see the gray flecks in his blue eyes change from gray to white and back again every time he blinked. When I looked at him I loved everything I saw in him. Being with him was more effortless than breathing. Just as I was about to take advantage of our closeness my phone blared. I reached into my pocket,”Hello?” I answered.
“Where are you?! We are supposed to be getting ready for Tanner’s party!” Casey yelled into the phone.
“Sorry, went for a walk, I’ll be right there.” With that Cody sat up and scooted out of the trunk. Without saying anything Casey hung up the phone.
“What was that about?” he asked as he helped me out of the trunk.
“I forgot Casey was coming over so we could get ready for the party together.”
“Well I better get you home then.”
“But I don’t want to go home.” I pouted. He smirked and helped me get into the passenger’s seat. When we pulled into my little neighborhood I said, “Let me out here, that way Casey doesn’t see you.”
“You sure?” I nodded,” Well don’t have to much fun without me.” he kissed me and I jumped out of the car.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments please :)