Earthshine

Damn, Vampires.

Thunder clapped loudly throughout the small town of Washington, La Push, my home. The flash of the lightening illuminating everything in the small house in which I inhabited, along with my father, Billy, my sister, Rachel, and her -despite my approval - fiancé, Paul. Another clap of thunder roared through the town, this time, causing the ground to rumble violently beneath the house. The rain now falling harder, heavier, than before. Beating against the roof of my home annoyingly.

Ugh. It was so loud that I could no longer hear the roaring thoughts that constantly echoed in my mind. They were beginning to sound like a broken record the way they kept repeating the same thought over, and over. The rain as well, nulled out the sound of dishes clanking up against each.

Buzzing quietly from my small living room, was the sound of our crappy T.V. Paul, Rachel, and my father, were watching the weather channel, all curious on how the weather would turn out for today.

I was the only one who didn’t really care either way.

I twitched, my ears picking up the sound of my dad approaching in his wheel chair. His voice echoed in the kitchen, “Looks like it’ll be raining for the whole week,” he sounded disappointed with the news. Even so, his eyes were fixed upon me.

My eyes moved away from my working hands, and over to my father’s serious gaze. It looked as if he knew something I didn’t. I sighed, and simply nodded to his information. Not that I care though. If I wanted to leave again, I would. Rain wasn’t going to stop me, I couldn’t even get sick anymore. Even if I could, I’d get well in a few hours, or a few days. So why inform me on the weather?

My eyes shifted from my father, and out the window of the kitchen, my hands working again on washing the dishes. Preparing things so my sister could start dinner. She was planning on making something simple, yet something that would be enough for all of us. Especially with how much Paul and I ate.

I figured she was going to fix chilly dogs, or Sloppy Joes, and of course, plenty of side dishes to put the complete meal together.

My thoughts continued to play rapidly in my mind, that I hadn’t realized I finished all of my dishes. I simply stood motionless, my eyes locked on the down pour of the rain. Will these thoughts ever cease? Will I ever forget about her? About Bella? About the time we spent? When I first realized I fell in love with her? And when I lost her? How much longer will I be plagued with these heart-aching memories?

I wanted to forget.

“Keep making that face, Jake, and it’ll stay that way. Wouldn’t want a scowl forever formed on your face, would ‘ya?” Rachel questioned playfully, breaking my train of thought.

“Maybe,” I muttered, taking a step away from the sink, and over to the kitchen table. Clearing up the area so there was space to set the food, plates, and anything else my sister needed.

I really wasn’t in the mood to hear Rachel complain about the lack of table, and counter space. Being in a bad mood like I was, I might bite her head off. If I had done that, then I’d have to deal with Paul yelling at me. Which would end up with me punching him in his face - probably breaking his nose, or jaw. Then he’d turn things into a brawl. Just like always.

True, I am itching for a fight, but, all-in-all, I wasn’t in the mood for a lecture from anyone.

I sighed once my job was finished, placing the sponge into the sink, and throwing away the paper towels I had used to dry up the countertops, and table. Making my way out of the small kitchen, and into the small living room of my home.

It had annoyed me at times that my house was over-ran with Paul, and his endless pit of darkness that he calls his stomach.

Why does it annoy me? Well, as I made my way over to the small recliner, my eyes fell onto Paul. His hands shoved into a family sized bag of Nacho cheese Doritos. A bag that was recently bought. A bag that was meant to be used as a side dish for sandwiches. But here Paul was, stuffing his face full of chips. And by the time I saw him with this bag, it was already three-fourths gone. Damn pig.

“’Sup, Jakey?” He questioned in a teasing tone, sucking on his fingertips to removed the caked on cheese powder. Making a smacking sound each time he pulled his fingers out of his mouth. His eyes never looked at me though when he greeted . They were focused upon the flashing images on the T.V. Not really paying attention to the man whom was informing the Clallam county of the heavy rain that was to plague the state for a week. Or even longer.

“What did I tell you about calling me ‘Jakey’?” I questioned, though using a mocking tone to the name ‘Jakey,’ as I fell back into the old recliner, the legs kicking out immediately. In the processes, I grabbed the almost empty bag of chips from Paul’s hands.

He laughed, “I’m only joking,” he informed, a smirk forming on his features as he sat up, his eyes looking to me. It almost looked like he wanted to challenge me to a fight.

A smile formed upon my lips in that same moment. Fighting him would make this day SO much better. And besides, I wanted to brawl with him! Get my mind off of things.

“I know that look~” Paul chuckled, “you know I wouldn’t mind that at all. But, you know Rachel, and your dad wouldn’t like that.” He informed, slumping into the couch, blowing air out of his mouth, his lips flapping in a irritating way.

I scowled, “I know…” I sighed, leaning back into the cushion of the recliner, disappointed in the turn of events.

“Later,” He promised.

“I’ll hold you to that,” I mused.

“What are you two up to?” A feminine voice called from the threshold of the kitchen, Rachel.

“Nothing,” I responded, my eyes shifting to Paul threateningly. A silent conversation taking place between us; ’You tell her, you’re dead.’ I didn’t want to lose this opportunity to a fight because he blabbed to Rachel.

’Fine’

I felt Rachel’s eyes shifting between Paul and I, trying to figure out what the both of us were up to. She seemed to give up, her lips smacking in annoyance. “Anyway, dinner is on the table, you pigs,” She laughed in a mocking manner, heading back into the small kitchen.

Paul and I exchanged glances - the looks on our face reading finally, as we jumped to our feet, heading to the kitchen to fix our plates. The both of us darting in-between Rachel, and Billy to make our plates. Piling them high with plenty of food to fill our stomachs.

“Think you have enough?” Rachel questioned.

Billy snorted at the question.

“You know we eat a lot, why do you always act surprised?” I asked, tossing a chip into my mouth.

“I’m not used to being around an appetite as big as yours,” She replied, her eyes rolling as she nudged me.

“Get used to it,” I mocked, my mouth full of food, making my way to find a chair to claim as my own before anyone else.

It was moments like these that helped get my mind off of Bella, and I needed it, more than anything.

-----


Moments had passed, and dinner had passed on by, Paul and I were stuffed that we couldn’t take another bite. Ironic, huh?

Dinner wasn’t such a bore, I talked to my sister, my father, and my friend, as if everything was back to normal. There was no vampires in Washington, and there was no werewolves either. Everything in this moment was perfect, and I cherished it.

In all honesty, I missed this.

“So, who’s washing dishes?” Rachel questioned the both of us.

I smirked, and answered quickly before Paul could, “Not me! Pual here would love too!” I laughed, patting his back.

He glared at me - daggers in his eyes.

“Promise, remember?” I referred back to our conversation that happened an hour ago.

He sighed, and heaved himself from his chair, “I’ll do them,” He muttered.

“Great, Jacob, you take out the trash, and I’ll put left overs away,” Rachel smiled, getting to her feet to do as she claimed.

Sighing, I got up too, and began to grab all the trash that cluttered the table, and counters, placing the trash in the bin that was on the other side of the kitchen.

“Be careful!” Rachel chimed, “Don’t want you to get hurt.”

She has to be joking, right?

Whatever, “I’ll be fine,” I responded, grabbing the black bag out of the bin, tying it closed to keep all it’s contents in the bag.

“Be back,” I hollered, making my way out into the now light drizzle. The sun had finally vanished. Leaving the world cold, and dark.

That wasn’t an issue for me as I made my way down to the dumpster, tossing the bag into the bin hidden into the darkness. But then it hit me, strong as ever; the stench of a blood sucker.

My eyes shot upward, my body stiffed as I began to look around me.

It was near, the stench wafting over to me. I was tempted to call out, demanding the creature to show itself, but I kept quiet, allowing my senses to track down the killer. Then I saw it - Well, her. Her stringy wet hair clinging to her pale face. I could feel her eyes on me, and I’m sure she knew that I was going for her now.

My teeth clinched, and I rushed up the hill she was standing on. But the leech took off quicker than I could have imagined. Growling under my breath, I picked up my pace, going nearly the same speed as her. She was quick, and this made it hard for me to catch up to her speed. Her dancing through the trees, and moving so quickly made it hard to focus on her blurred body. But then we hit a clearing. A area that the moon seemed to break through the thick clouds.

“Stop!” I called to her.

She paused in her graceful steps. I could see her body stiffen when I yelled to her. Regardless, she turned around, the moon’s rays dancing on her features.

Her skin porcelain, the moon’s rays causing the droplets of rain to shimmer on her forearms, and her soft round face. Her hair was blond, stringy from the rain, and somewhat curled as it clung to her face, her lips full, and the color of soft pink. And her eyes, which were framed by thick black lashes, were orbs of bright blue - brighter than I’ve ever seen before. She defined beauty

It made me gag at how beautiful she was.

“What?” She called, her voice soft, yet demanding. Her arms crossing over her small chest, that if I were a werewolf, I could easily rip through. “You chase me all the way out here, now what do you want?”

My breathing stopped, I didn’t know what to say ’Get off this land, it belongs to the Quileutes. Vampires aren’t allowed, if you don’t, I’ll rip your heart out,’? No, the moon wasn’t even full therefore, I couldn’t transform, and actually cause some damage to her.

“I’m waiting,” She sang, her foot tapping violently against the muddy ground. Her foot squishing in the water.

I glared at her foot tapping furiously against the ground, her impatience riding on my nerves. Inhaling heavily, my jaw clinched, and I met her intense gaze.

“If it’s nothing, then I’ll be on my way,” she sighed, dropping her arms from her chest, and getting ready to turn in about-face.

“This land is forbidden to vampires,” I finally answered, my eyes now searching her features.

Her expression changed, and she shifted her weight to her other leg, “I’m sorry” She questioned,

“This is Quileute land, and it’s forbidden to vampires. The treaty line is back that way,” I lifted my finger in the direction she should go, “I’m not looking to fight you, for obviously reasons.”

She scoffed.

I rolled my eyes.

“Just go that way, It’s not safe for a lee- Vampire to be on Quileute land. There are many werewolves who wouldn’t be afraid to take you on.” I felt acid in my mouth for trying to help her.

She sighed, “Alright then, I’ll leave. Don’t feel like taking on some murderous mutts who want to kill me,” She tucked her blond hair behind her ear. “Fay.” She said quickly, and before I could respond, she was gone. Leaving me to stand there like a fool.

I growled, and turned around, marching my way back home.
♠ ♠ ♠
I haven't written a fanfic in forever. I hope this tickled your fancy. Please, give me some pointers/criticism, help me improve, please. Above all, tell me what you think. Considering the slight verse change.