‹ Prequel: Means the World
Status: hiatus.

Ready to Start

13.

George woke up the next day to the sound of sizzling bacon and the smell of toasted bread. He opened his eyes; yes, he was still in Sydney’s apartment. He sat up, seeing Sydney in the kitchen. She was still wearing her sleep clothes, except her hair wasn’t piled on her head anymore. It was pulled back in a neat plait.

“Good morning.” She called out without looking up. “I’m making bacon sandwiches.”

George quickly put on his pants and walked into the kitchen.

“Sit.” She urged. Pointing her wand, she filled a mug with coffee for him. After a couple of seconds, she put the bacon and bread on the table and they began to eat.

“Do you have work today?” George asked.

Sydney nodded. “I’ve been neglecting my paperwork…so I have to do all that today.” She said. “How about you? Back to the shop then?”

George nodded. “Elise is probably pissed at me. She hates having to watch the shop while I’m away.” He said. “It was easier when Fred was around.” He said.

Sydney stared at him curiously. “You don’t have to talk about him just yet if you don’t want to.” she said. “If it makes you uncomfortable, don’t talk about it.”

George shook his head. “No, I need to talk about him. I can’t just keep him bottled up forever. I mean, it’s affecting my powers.” He said miserably.

“What do you mean?” Sydney asked, blinking.

“I haven’t been able to make a patronus in five years.” He said miserably.

Sydney’s eyes widened. “Wow, this is serious. It’s bad when it starts affecting your powers.”

“Did Victoria’s death affect your powers?” George asked.

Sydney nodded shyly. “Yeah…it took me years to get back where I was.” She said. “I don’t even reckon I’m as good as I used to be.”

“Did it take you a while to talk about Victoria?” he asked.

Sydney nodded. “Only until last year did I not talk about her. I kept it all shut up.”

George gave her a strange look. “Well who did you tell it all to?” he asked.

Sydney smiled wryly. “Vic…or, myself, at least.” She said.

He sat there, dumbfounded. “What?”

Sydney shrugged. “It’s therapeutic, actually. Just sit in front of a mirror and talk to yourself. If you’re an identical twin, it’s easy. Just imagine yourself as the other and talk to yourself. Tell yourself things about each other. It got me to step two.”

George stood up. “Well, I should be going. I’ll see you soon?” he asked.

Sydney smiled. “Of course.”

*~*~*~*

George walked into the shop to a very furious Elise.

“Gone for the night, no letter at all!” she fumed. “You just took off without a word!”

George rolled his eyes. “I’m a big boy, Elise, I can take care of myself.”

She stomped her feet. “Dammit George, I’m trying to take care of you!” she said. “Where were you?”

George shrugged. “I was at Sydney’s house.”

Elise gave him a twisted face. “Didn’t you listen to me? She’s bad for you! She’s lying to you!”

George laughed maniacally. “No, you listen to me, Elise. She’s not lying. She’s the nicest, sweetest person I know and she knows what I’m going through.” He snarled.

Elise gave him another face. “You like her.” She spat.

George furrowed his eyebrows. “What?”

Elise nodded. “You like her, that’s why you’re defending her.”

George shook his head. “That’s ridiculous. I barely know the girl.”

Elise shook her head. “Then why are you lying for her?”

George shook his head. “I’m not…I met her parents, I know the truth and I won’t tell you.” He said. “Goodbye.”

George stomped up the stairs and into the flat to see Abby sitting on the table playing with colored pencils. “Uncle Georgie!” she squealed, jumping up.

“How is my little girl?” George asked, scooping her up. He felt a bit guilty saying that, seeing as she was really Fred’s little girl, but she needed a father figure in her life.

“Mummy was upset you weren’t home last night.” She said, blinking her big eyes.

George sighed. “Well Uncle Georgie was staying with a friend.”

“Is it that Sydney? I like her.” Abby said, point blank.

George furrowed his eyebrows yet again, staring down at his niece. “How? Your mother hates her.”

Abby shrugged. “You’re happier when you’re around her, and she’s happier too. She’s a lot like you. Mum doesn’t understand.”

George smiled and kissed Abby’s head. “You’re a bright one, you know.”

Abby smiled. “People forget that sometimes…anyway, I’m off to play with Teddy.”

George grinned. “You really like Teddy, don’t you?”

Abby nodded. “We’re getting married.” She said simply.

George roared with laughter. “No kissing, alright?”

Abby wrinkled her nose. “Of course no kissing…that’s gross, Uncle Georgie. Anyway, see you later!” she said, skipping off.

George smiled at her as she disappeared. She was the spitting image of Fred.
♠ ♠ ♠
d'awh.