‹ Prequel: Means the World
Status: hiatus.

Ready to Start

16.

George and Ginny were still sitting at the table when their mother walked in.

“Now what are you two talking about?” Molly asked her children.

Ginny grinned. “George likes a girl, Mum.”

Molly paused, dropping the pot she was holding. “What?”

Ginny nodded. “George has his eye on a girl he met from Diagon Alley.”

Molly burst into tears. “Oh, Georgie, that’s fabulous!” she squealed.

George chuckled. “Mum, it’s nothing. She probably doesn’t even like me. She’s been helping me get over Fred.”

The kitchen silenced.

“You’re…you’re getting help?” Molly asked.

George nodded. “I decided it was time I get a move on with my life. He would’ve wanted me to.”

Molly burst into tears and threw an arm around him. “Oh, my boy.” She sobbed.

George patted her back. “It’s alright, Mum. I’ll be okay.” He assured her. He was starting to get a bit embarrassed; he hated when the family fussed over him.

Arthur walked in. “What’s all this hugging about?” he asked curiously.

“George is seeing help to get over Fred.” Molly sobbed.

Arthur dropped his briefcase and joined in on the hug.

“Dad, stop.” George groaned.

Percy walked in as well. “What’s going on?” he asked, confused.

Ginny snickered. “Mum and dad are hug attacking George because he’s getting help to get over Fred.”

George groaned as Percy joined the hug. “Will you all just shove off?”

“Maybe we can all see this girl, Georgie…we could all get over him together.” His mother offered.

George shook them off. “No, Mum! She’s my friend, I like her, she’s mine.” He said.

Ginny sniggered. “She’s yours?”

George turned red. “Well, erm, you know what I mean.” He pulled away from them all. “Look, she’s just a friend. She’s not an expert or anything…just a friend.” He stated.

“Just a friend that you fancy.” Ginny announced.

“What does she look like?” Percy asked eagerly. Percy was married to a muggle woman named Audrey, and they had a daughter and another on the way. Everyone was interested in George’s love life, as it seemed everyone else in his family was getting married or having babies.

George sighed. “That’s not important.”

“She has brown hair, blue eyes…kind of a sharp look, very smart. She’s a businesswoman, but very shy.” Ginny said.

“Gin! I thought you were on my side!” George complained.

Ginny grinned. “I can’t help it, George.”

With that, George apparated out of his house.

Molly stared at her husband. “Do you think we’ve upset him?”

*~*~*~*

George apparated into Diagon Alley. Knowing it was Sydney’s day off, he wandered the streets looking for her. He saw her, exiting the shop.

“Syd!”

Sydney turned and smiled. “Hello, George.”

George smiled. “Were you looking for me?”

Sydney shook her head. “No, Elise just wanted to chat…want to grab some lunch?” she asked.

“Sure.” George said nervously, wiping the palms of his hands on his pants. He didn’t want to embarrass himself, especially after the ambush of his parents.

They went to a little restaurant and ordered their food. The two of them sat there, staring at each other.

“So I wanted to ask you a question…” Sydney started.

George nodded. “Shoot.”

She leaned in. “Would you marry Elise?”

George choked when he heard those words. “Blimey, what brought upon that?” he asked,
after regaining his breath.

Sydney chuckled. “I was just wondering…I know you two dated and all…and it seems like she’s lonely.”

George shook his head. “I love Lise, but not like that. No, not ever again. Plus, I’d never be able to take Fred’s spot. I couldn’t do that to him. I promised him I’d take care of her, but I wouldn’t do that.”

Sydney nodded. “I think she’s just lonely, that’s why she hates me.”

George stared at her. “She hates you?”

Syd nodded again. “She thinks I’m bad for you.” She chuckled.

George leaned in, smiling. “I really don’t mind.”

“George!”
♠ ♠ ♠
school...is a bitch.