‹ Prequel: Means the World
Status: hiatus.

Ready to Start

18.

Sydney was sitting in her kitchen. Dinner was prepared; she was just waiting for George to show up. Sydney nervously tapped the table; she really wanted him to come. As hard as it was for her to admit, she was really starting to enjoy his company.

The doorbell rang and Sydney jumped up, wiping her hands on her pants. Shaking it out, she made it look like she had been doing things all along, not just waiting for him. Syd opened the door with a smile.

“Hey Georgie.” she said, welcoming him in.

George grinned. “Hey Syd…what’s for dinner?”

Sydney led him into the kitchen. “I made roast…I had it and didn’t know what to do with it, so I just made it. It’s huge, so I guess you can take some back for Abby and Elise.” She said, pausing.

George nodded. “It smells amazing.”

The two of them sat down to dinner. They ate in the living room, just talking to each other. What Sydney liked about George was that she didn’t have to dress up for him. She could just sit there, in a sweater and her hair in a ponytail and he wouldn’t care.

After dinner, they sat down together, just watching each other.

“I’m sorry about Perce yesterday…he’s a bit…intrusive.” George winced.

Sydney laughed. “No, it’s alright…I like him. He’s cool.”

George’s jaw dropped. “Cool? Are you serious? My ministry loving, book worm brother is cool? That’s a first.” He said, shocked.

Sydney laughed and smacked his shoulder. “He really cares about you, I can tell…and he obviously thinks you and I should get together.” She joked.

George froze. “What?”

Sydney froze. “Oh, well, um, it was just a guess…I mean, he kept hinting at getting you a girl, and the way he was looking at me…” she offered.

Without thinking, George leapt across the couch and kissed her.

Sydney was too shocked to move. All she did was wrap her arms around his neck. George pinned her down. Both of them didn’t know what they were doing, but they were kissing each other and they were fine with that.

George pulled away and laughed slightly. “Um…hi.”

Sydney turned red. “Hi.” She whispered, mortified.

George ran his hands through his hair. “Now I’m in trouble.”

Sydney gave him a weird look. “For what, kissing me?”

George gave her a sheepish look. “I…I really like you, Sydney. I don’t want things to get weird between us, you know? We’ve only known each other so long.” He said slowly.

Sydney gave him a look. “Who said things were going to get weird?” she asked, giving him a raised eyebrow.

George gave her an exasperated look. “Well if you don’t like me…” he trailed off.

Sydney laughed. “Would I have kissed you back if I didn’t like you?”

George was shocked. “You…kissed back?”

Syd raised an eyebrow. “How many relationships have you been in, George?”

George bit his lip. “Er, one serious one. With Elise.” He blurted.

Sydney laughed and leaned closer to George. “I like you, George.”

“And things won’t get weird?” he asked, biting his lip.

“Not if I can help it.” She murmured, looking his face all over. “To be honest, I’ve never really liked a guy like you before. All the time, it was just me getting hurt.” She said softly.

George put a hand to her face. “I won’t hurt you. I promise.”

*~*~*~*

The next morning, George stood in the doorway, ready to leave. Elise would be expecting him home; if she hadn’t already sent out a search party.

George watched Sydney, leaning over the counter, smiling at him.

“So I’ll see you later then?” he asked softly.

Sydney nodded her head ever so slightly. “Yeah, I’d like that.” She said.

“I like you.” George fumbled clumsily.

Sydney rolled her eyes and laughed, walking over to him. “Go to work.” She murmured, kissing him lightly.

George had never had a real relationship. The only long relationship he had was with Elise, and the entire time she had been in love with his brother. Other than that, it was two week flings or one night stands. It wasn’t healthy, until now.

Now he had a gorgeous girl standing in front of him. She was speaking only to him. She cared only about him. They were older now; there were no if, ands, or buts. It was all simply chemistry.

George kissed her back, pressing his hands into her waist. Pulling away, he pecked her nose and opened the door, leaving. As he walked down the street, he noticed a particular spring in his step.

Perhaps things were changing.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry I've been neglecting mibba. school, pom, life. argh