‹ Prequel: Means the World
Status: hiatus.

Ready to Start

2.

It was days later. Elise was upset with George.

“You dare do that to a dealer?! We could lose the entire relationship we’ve established with the brand! Not to mention they’ll probably triple charges now and possibly sue on infringement and harassment!” Elise chided.

George, who was now calm, was upset with himself. “I’m sorry I let it get that far! She brought up Fred and it made me so angry.” He groaned, putting his head in his hands.

Elise sighed. “George, I miss him too, but you need to move on. You’ll never be happy. It’s been five years. You need to get along with your life.” She said.

“Says you, who thought you’d die after he died.” George said sarcastically.

Elise’s eyes softened. “I had someone else who needed me more.” She said bluntly.

“Uncle George, Mummy!” a voice yelled.

The two turned around to see Abigail, Elise and Fred’s daughter. She was the shining light in George’s world-his link to his twin. She had his eyes. Everything else was that of her mother’s. She had a doll like face, large brown eyes, a smattering of freckles, and strawberry blonde hair. Everything was perfect about her and he loved his niece for that.

Abigail ran into his lap and he grinned. “And how are you, Abby?” he asked.

Abby grinned. “I’m okay.”

George smiled. “Did you play with Teddy today?” he asked. Harry had a habit of having his
godson over on the weekends and Teddy would come over while Harry was working. If Ginny wasn’t practicing or playing Quidditch, she’d watch him.

Abby nodded. “We played with my pygmy puff, Kraken, today.” She said, thoroughly pleased with the name of her soft fuzzy puff.

George laughed. “Good girl.”

Elise smiled. “Are you ready for dinner, love?”

Abigail nodded. “We’re eating with you tonight, aren’t we Uncle George?” she asked.

George smiled. “That’s right…go set the table, Abby.”

As Abby rose to set the table, George sighed and watched Elise follow her with adoring eyes. That was as close as her eyes came to sparkling. When Fred was alive, she was alive. Now she was just living for the sake of Abby.

“Are you happy?” he blurted out.

Elise turned her head. “What?” she asked.

George sighed. “Are you happy?”

Elise shrugged. “I’m as happy as I’ll ever be.”

George gave her a look. “That’s not good.”

Elise scoffed. “Says you…when was the last time you went out with Oliver or Lee?”

George looked down. “This isn’t about me.”

Elise’s eyes softened. “George, I’m worried about you.”

“You don’t need to be.” He mumbled.

Elise rolled her eyes. “You know I’ll never be happy like I was again. But you…everyone is moving on, getting through this together. I got through it…you need to as well.”

*~*~*~*

The next day the store was closed. School had begun and it was time for the off season of the store-all of their business was at school. Mail ordering would start in a week at best, so George and Elise were restocking.

“Mail for you, Mr. Weasley.” Verity, the store hand, said.

Fred took the gold leaf envelope from her and looked at the address. It was from the London offices of the Enoki’s. Nervously, he opened the letter. It was obviously the bill.

When he read the price, his jaw dropped. “What the hell? Fifty galleons per?”

Elise rolled her eyes. “I told you! What did I tell you?”

George stormed out of the store and started towards the offices. They were just outside of Diagon Alley. He walked and walked, but when he got to the office building, it was closed. George was starting to feel desperate. He felt bad for offending the sales woman, but fifty galleons?

After knocking on the door for thirty minutes, he gave up and went to the Leaky Cauldron. Sitting at the bar, he saw Sydney Lake.

“Hey, you!” he called out.

Sydney turned around and groaned. “Oh no, it’s you.” She said, getting up.

George rushed over to her. “Whoa, wait a minute…can we just talk about this?” he asked.

Sydney shot him an icy look. “You are the most offensive man I’ve ever met.”

George sighed. “Please, just hear me out. I need to talk to you right now.”

Sydney gave him a curious look, and sat back down. George sat across from her and ordered a drink as well.

“So, what do you want to talk about?” she asked.

George sighed. “I’m sorry for being so rude. I get unusually hostile when people bring up my brother.” He said.

Sydney’s eyes softened. “I understand.”

George sighed. “I doubt you do…not many people lose their twins.”

Sydney shrugged. “You never know.” She downed her drink. “I’m sorry for my attitude as well. I wasn’t exactly polite either.” She said sheepishly.

George looked at her straight for the first time. She was actually very pretty-and exceptionally young, considering her job. Ralph, her previous counterpart, was at least forty. She didn’t look a day over twenty one.

“How old are you, exactly?” he asked.

Sydney shrugged. “Twenty three, but I do look younger. How old are you?” she shot back.

George drank a bit. “I’m twenty five.”

George watched her. She looked much younger when she wasn’t in business clothes. Her long brown hair was in soft waves. She had piercing eyes and a strangely doll like face. As out of ordinary it was, it was actually very attractive. She wore a plain navy blue sundress and flats. She was actually quite tall.

“Tell me, how a twenty three year old has such an established job already?” he asked.

Sydney blushed. “I’ve known the Enoki’s for quite some time. My parents are friends with them. I chose to start working with them after I finished school and they like me. They know I’m responsible.”

“Where did you go to school?” George asked curiously. “You didn’t go to Hogwarts.”

Sydney nodded. “I was taught at home by my mum, and when I turned fifteen we moved to Japan and I went to school there. I can speak Japanese. When I turned eighteen, I came back here to work for them and have ever since.”

George snorted. “You should’ve stayed in Japan; things were a mess here.”

Sydney nodded. “The whole Voldemort thing was over when I came.”

George nodded. “Ah, and that explains your weird accent.”

Sydney pushed him. “It’s not weird!” she said.

George gave her a look and she sighed. “Okay, it has a twinge, but that’s it!” she said.

George smiled. “Well, I should be going now.” He stood up and walked away.

“Wait!” Sydney yelled. George turned around and looked at her. “I’ll think about lowering that price.” She said, giving him a finger wag.

George smiled. “Thanks, Sydney.”

Sydney scoffed. “That’s Miss Lake to you.”

George grinned again. “Thanks, Miss Lake.”