‹ Prequel: Means the World
Status: hiatus.

Ready to Start

4.

George shifted uneasily. “Whatever…so Ron, listen. Gin is a big girl, she can handle her own. Besides, Harry will have Teddy half the time; they wouldn’t do anything around the kid.”

Ron sat back. “Alright.” He said warily.

“Are you alright, George?” Oliver asked.

“What did that Lake girl say to you?” Elise asked defensively. She was still protective of him.

George rolled his eyes. “Sydney and I just talked a price, that’s all.”

“Who is Sydney?” Alicia asked, confused.

George sighed. “Sydney Lake is our new dealer for pearls.”

Elise nodded. “She’s very pretty.” She said cautiously.

George shrugged. “I didn’t notice.”

“What does she look like?” Angelina asked eagerly.

Elise smiled brightly. “She’s tall, thin, has wavy brown hair, and has the most beautiful blue eyes.”

“Sounds like a keeper, George.” Ron said.

George rolled his eyes. “Oh, come on, we’re just business partners. We’re not even friends.” George argued.

“Come on, George, ask her out.” Harry urged.

Abby ran to the table, followed by Teddy. “Mummy, are you talking about the pretty lady Uncle George took upstairs yesterday?”

Ron, Oliver, and Harry burst out laughing.

“Not like that, guys!” George yelped, eyes wide.

Elise chuckled. “No, darling. You and Teddy go back to playing.” She urged.

“We need more juice.” Abby said. Elise stood up and ushered the kids to the kitchen.

“How old is she?” Alicia asked.

George was getting frustrated. “Twenty three.”

“Prime age…good pick, mate.” Oliver said.

George rolled his eyes. “Fat chance.”

*~*~*~*

The next day at work, Sydney was sorting through files. There really wasn’t a lot of work in London; that’s why she liked it there. It was just her, Rowena, and Carter, the delivery man. The bosses came to visit every two weeks. The office was small, but nice.

“There’s an owl for you, Sydney.” Rowena called.

An owl flew to her desk and dropped a letter. Nuzzling it’s head against her hand, it took off again out the window next to her desk.

Dear Miss Lake:

Due to questioning in our business transaction, we were wondering if you could come by our store today. Thank you and we hope to see you sometime today.

Weasley Wizard Wheezes


Sydney noticed it was written in a woman’s hand. Nevertheless, it was an excuse to leave. She packed up her things and took the rest of the day off. It was hot, so she quickly went to her flat, which was in New Hallow, a haven for contemporary wizards and witches in London that was quickly set up after the wizarding war. Sydney’s parents bought her a lavish top flat when she moved. They had their own place, but sold it when they decided to travel around the world. So far, it was four months since they last came home. Sydney was starting to feel as if they were abandoning her.

After changing into a more comfortable get up of jeans and a sweater, she went back to Diagon Alley to confront George. She was confused; she thought she was clear with her offer.

Sydney walked into the store. “Hello?” she called out.

Elise, George’s sister-in-law, bounced towards her. “Hello.” She said, smiling. It was a considerably warmer welcome than the one she had received days before.

“Hello…I got a letter to come here.” She said.

Elise nodded. “I sent that.” She said simply.

“Oh…” Sydney said slowly. “So…is there anything you’d like to discuss?”

Elise smiled. “I’m having a small dinner party at my house this Friday; it’s a weekly thing. I noticed you really don’t go out much, do you?”

Sydney blushed. “No, I don’t.”

Elise smiled wider. “You’re invited them. George and I will be there, as will a couple of friends. I hope to see you there. I’ll owl my address tomorrow.” She said.

Sydney turned red as she bid her goodbye and left.

What just happened?

Weirded out, she went back home. When she arrived home, there was a letter from her parents.

Sydney rolled her eyes just reading it. “Going to Egypt for another month, we’ll try to visit you when we get back! So proud of you! Love, Mum and Dad-typical.” She scoffed, tossing the letter into the trash. She grabbed some water and put her feet up.

It was moments like this that she hated-she was all alone. She had a huge, lavish flat that was all hers, but no more worldly goods could make her feel whole.

As if she’d ever be whole again.

The silence was a scary thing. She didn’t want it. She wished she had actual friends who lived with her-but who was she kidding? She didn’t have friends. She went to that stupid international wizarding school in Japan; everyone was too snooty to even care. She didn’t make friends very easily; Sydney had always been the quieter child. Her sister, Victoria, was filled to the brim with life.

Sydney drank up. Maybe that dinner party would introduce her to some friends.

Going to it wouldn’t hurt her.
♠ ♠ ♠
ah, and now we get some information on Sydney's back story.
And yes, she does have a twin sister. Something in common with George(: