‹ Prequel: Means the World
Status: hiatus.

Ready to Start

6.

George gave her a look. “You have a sister?”

Sydney nodded and smiled wryly. “Victoria-she’s my twin.”

George’s jaw dropped. “You have a twin?”

Sydney nodded and looked ahead. “That’s why I understand you, George Weasley. Being a twin is a very specific thing.”

George stared at her. “Where is your sister?”

Sydney shuddered. “Oh, somewhere in Japan. We’re not very much in contact.”

“Are you identical?” he asked.

Sydney nodded. “With the exception of hair and eyes, I suppose. I have blue eyes, she has green. Her hair is a bit lighter as well.”

“So you’re not exactly identical.” George said.

Sydney nodded again. “But we have the same face, I suppose you could say.” She didn’t notice that they’d arrived at her flat already. “Do you want to see a picture?”

George nodded, and Sydney let him in. Her apartment was large and furnished lavishly; she obviously made good money or her parents were rich. It was painted a light shade of blue, which almost matched her eyes. The other rooms were cream, from what he could see. He was standing in the middle of the sitting room.

Sydney pulled a picture frame from the sitting table and showed it to him. “That’s Victoria and me, from our summer holidays when we were younger.” She said.

She was right; Sydney and Victoria were carbon copies of each other. While Sydney had brown hair and blue eyes, Victoria had golden hair no more than a few shades lighter and green eyes. It was like seeing the same person twice, but not exactly the same.

The two girls gave the camera silly faces. They seemed around the age of fifteen.

George smiled. “You and your sister are pretty.” He noted.

Sydney laughed. “She’s prettier.”

For a second, George saw a flicker of insecurity in her eyes. She quickly started playing with her hair and darting her eyes.

“Don’t say that.” George said. “You and your sister are both beautiful in your own way.” He said.

Sydney seemed stunned. “Wow…um, thank you.”

George smiled. “No problem…well, I better be getting back. I’ll see you sometime, Sydney.”

She nodded, breathlessly. “Sure.”

*~*~*~*

George came back to Elise’s flat to find everyone sitting on the couches.

“Where are Teddy and Abby?” George asked.

Elise motioned him over. “They’re in bed already…Teddy is sleeping on Abby’s trundle.” She
said.

George nodded and sat down next to Ron and Harry.

“So, you walked Sydney home.” Alicia said.

George nodded. “Yeah, I didn’t want her to be alone.”

“She didn’t seem all that friendly, George.” Hermione said slowly.

Angelina nodded. “Yeah…she was kind of stiff.”

George’s face reddened. “She’s just a little shy, that’s all. She’ll warm up.”

Lee shrugged. “She just doesn’t seem to be your type, mate.”

George’s eyebrows furrowed. “What do you mean?”

Lee shrugged again. “She’s all proper and business, and you’re…you.”

Although George had no intentions of asking Sydney Lake out, he felt a compelling need to protect her from them.

“You guys don’t even know her.” He argued. “Just give her the benefit of the doubt.”

Elise shrugged. “It’s not like you two are friends, really.”

George was turning red in the face. “Look, she’s really actually a nice person, okay? She
understands.”

Elise raised an eyebrow. “She understands what?”

And with that, George left.

“What was all that about?” Ginny asked, as she came out of the bathroom.

“George is upset.” Elise sighed. “I hate seeing him upset.”

“He’s being a ton more emotional than he usually is, though. That’s a good sign.” Lee pointed out.

Ron nodded. “I’ve never seen him this…flustered about someone. Reckon there’s something going on between him and that Lake girl?”

Elise shook her head in protest. “They’ve only known each other for weeks. Besides, she’s not his type. I’d know. I don’t like her, either.”

“He’s definitely protective of her.” Harry said.

“What does he mean by she understands?” Alicia asked, cocking her head to the side.

Elise shrugged and stared at the door, where George disappeared.

“I don’t know, but I’m going to figure out eventually.”