‹ Prequel: Means the World
Status: hiatus.

Ready to Start

7.

Sydney was walking throughout Diagon Alley. It was a day off, and the sun was shining. Finally, spring was coming. She could put away her jumpers and break out the dresses she so longed to wear.

“Sydney!”

Sydney turned around and saw George Weasley walking towards her.

Sydney stopped and smiled. “Hello George. I never did thank you for walking me home the other night.”

George smiled. “No problem…so, what are you doing right now?” he asked.

Sydney shrugged. “I was just taking a walk. It’s my day off, I really don’t have anything planned really.” She confessed.

George smiled wider. “Great, then you’d be open to having lunch?”

Sydney was a little taken aback. Just weeks ago, they’d been at each other’s throats, screaming. Now he was asking her to lunch.

“As friends, of course.” He quickly added.

Sydney nodded curiously. “Sure…where to?”

George cocked his head towards a small little restaurant. “How about there? Have you ever been there?” he asked.

Sydney shook her head. “No.”

George smiled. “You’ll love it.”

*~*~*~*

Before long, George and Sydney were sitting down to their food. It was warm comfort food. George’s meal consisted of a sandwich and potatoes. He remembered those days when they were hiding out in France; when the boys had a day out, they’d buy pommes frites and sandwiches, eat them in the park, and talk about where they thought their lives were going and if they were ever going to live through the war.

Of course, one didn’t.

Sydney sat across from him, eating easily.

“I have some questions for you, if you don’t mind me asking.” George said.

Sydney shrugged. “Go ahead.”

George cleared his throat. “Why is it that you can’t talk to the others, but you can talk easy enough with me?”

Sydney pondered over that for a minute, and then shrugged. “I really don’t know, actually. Usually I’d get very nervous while meeting people, but since you intimidated me the first time I met you, you kind of became my equal, if that makes any sense.”

George stupidly shook his head. “No, it does not.”

Sydney laughed. “I know, it doesn’t. But for some reason, I’m better with people who intimidate me. I’m very competitive.”

George nodded. “And you don’t find Elise or any of the others intimidating?”

Sydney shrugged. “Elise just seems sad…and silly. I thought I’d be intimidated by Harry Potter, but I really wasn’t.”

George laughed. “Yeah, he is a big softie at heart.”

“There is another reason that I can talk to you, I think.” She murmured.

George leaned in. “And what’s that?”

Sydney blushed a little. “You’re a twin. It’s easier for twins to understand each other. You know how it feels…sometimes, we can’t explain why we act in certain ways, but only other twins can understand.”

“Well, I’m not specifically a twin anymore.” George muttered.

Sydney gave him a sad smile. “Once a twin, always a twin…the ones we love never leave us. Even if we tried, they’ll always be there.”

George nodded. “If you lost your twin, you’d feel the same way I do.”

Sydney gripped her drink. “I have lost her, George, but not the same way you have.”

George nodded slowly, somewhat understanding her, even though she made no sense whatsoever. “We’re kind of the same, aren’t we?”

Sydney smiled wryly. “That we are, George Weasley.”

George sighed. “How do you get over it?”

Sydney cocked her head. “What are you talking about?”

“Not having her around…not seeing her, being separated.” George gasped out.

Sydney shrugged. “I could help you.”

George gave her a stare. “How so?”

Sydney shifted. “There are seven stages of grief. Muggles have a whole study dedicated to it. Many people like to talk about loss, but if you’re like me, you don’t. You’re stuck in the first one, and seems like you have for a while.”

“And what is the first one?” he asked.

“Denial and shock is the first stage. You’re past the shock, but you’re in that stage of denial. You’re denying how much this affecting you. You’re denying other people into your life. I’m betting I’m the first friend you’ve made in a while, other than the small circle around you.”

George nodded. “Right…I guess.”

Sydney nodded back. “There’s only one way to heal yourself. It will be painful, but you’ll have to do it to become whole again.”

“What, is it like magic?” George asked.

Sydney shook her head. “It’s living the stages. You have to really go through it all. Are you sure you’re ready to start now?”

George nodded. “I’m ready to start.”
♠ ♠ ♠
yay, i've finally mustered the strength to update. I've been so tired lately, working out all the time-pilates, yoga, and ballet every week. whew, I'm exhausted. Anyway, there's only 21 days of summer left. THE FUCK