Starry Nights City Lights

Liar It Takes One To Know One

“Hallie, darling, I’m so glad to see you’re alright!” Mrs. Stewart said with fake enthusiasm.

“Hi, Mom. Dad,” Hallie nodded in her parents direction ignoring her mother’s out stretched arms. Mrs. Stewart sighed and dropped her arms. Mr. Stewart stood next to her with his arms crossed glaring at Hallie.

Officer Way seemed to notice the awkwardness of this lovely family reunion, “Well, let’s get you all in for questioning. Mr. Stewart, would you follow me please.”

Later in the police station.

Mr. Stewart--

“Okay, from what you’ve told me you don’t seem to think Hallie had any reason to run away other than to hurt you and your wife,” Officer Way didn’t seem to by that.

“My wife and I treat our kids very good. We are definitely exceptional parents. We try to help our kids in school. We keep them out of trouble. We, of course, always hug them and tell them how much we love them. I—I just don’t understand how my little Hallie, my only daughter could do this to me. All I ever did was love her,” Mr. Stewart replied.

“Okay… What do you know about Brian Martin and the day he kidnapped Hallie?” Officer Way asked.

“All I know is one minute she was there and the next second she was gone and a police car was speeding away,” Mr. Stewart answered.

“Okay, that’s all, you may leave.”

Mrs. Stewart--

“Okay--” Officer Way started.

“Before you say anything let me tell you how much I care about my daughter. I love her so much! I was heartbroken when she left. Also, just to let you know she has a compulsive
lying disorder. You can’t believe a word she says. Just now we would never hurt our little
princess. She means the world to me,” Mrs. Stewart told the officer and shed some fake
tears for emphasis.

“Alright, do you know anything about what happened in Vegas?”

“What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas… How would I know? I wasn’t even aware Hallie was in that police car when it left,” Mrs. Stewart replied.

“Okay, that’s all, Mrs. Stewart”

Hallie—

“Ignore anything and everything they told you. They are compulsive liars!” Hallie declared as she walked into Officer Way’s office for questioning.

Officer Way asked Hallie a couple questions about Vegas, while contemplating who to believe. He was pretty sure Hallie was being truthful, but there was no way to prove her parents were lying. He had checked up on the family’s records with Child Protective Services. CPS had been called several times on the Stewart’s. Each time they were supposedly innocent. Hallie had also apparently called 911 several times, when there was no present emergency, but she claimed her parents had been fighting and beating her siblings, which makes her a liar. Officer Way didn’t seem to by that. Hallie didn’t seem like the type to just make that sort of thing up.

He asked Hallie a couple of questions about life at the Stewart’s. Hallie’s answers completely contradicted her parents’ answers. Officer Way feared for Hallie and her brothers’ safety, but he knew what he thought didn’t really matter. He wasn’t the one to make this sort of decision. The most that would probably come of this situation would be Child Protective Services investigating them again. The Stewarts’ seemed to be very good at doing wrong and not getting caught.

“You believe me, right?” Hallie asked.

“Yeah, yeah I do,” Officer Way told her.