Keep Away

Plaid shirt, mini skirt, that's what makes her fine.

“A party?” I repeated, holding my spoon of soup halfway through my mouth.

“I wouldn't all it a party,” Riley replied with a shrug. “It's like a social gathering, hangout, whatever.”

“So it's a party?”

“Whatever! Wanna come?”

“I don't like parties.” I turned away and went back to my food. Chicken soup and buttered rolls.

“It'll be fun.” He urged, moving onto the other side of table so I would be staring directly at him.

“Let me put it this way, I just don't like people.”

“You like me, Connor, and Thomas! You especially like Brai - “

“Okay!” I cried loudly, not wanting to hear the B-word. “I get it!”

“We're all gonna be there.”

“Riley, think about everything you're saying. I'm comfortable around you guys. I don't do so well around other people.”

“Is it because of the outcast thing?” I gave him a glare and did not say anything. “I think you're overreacting. Are you really an outcast?”

“Why would I be making this up?” I snapped.

“Does the entire school treat you as one? Or is it only the people in your class?”

I thought about the class and the looks they gave me as soon I walked through the door. I thought about their snickers when I walked past their desk. I thought about how they all went to tell their friends about me. I thought about the heads turning in the cafeteria.

“I don't know.” I admitted.

“Then this is the perfect chance to make new friends.”

“You guys are my friends.”

“Yeah, but don't you want any lady friends? Don't you want to um....discuss shoes or makeup?”

“I don't talk about shoes, nor do I really wear makeup.”

“Oh.” Riley scratched his head. “I mean when you make new friends that are girls,I still want you to tell me about Braiden. It's interesting.”

“You didn't tell him anything, did you?”

“Course not.”

“No parties.” I repeated, taking my dishes to the sink.

Xxx

The house was ridiculously quiet today. Joan and Daniel were out to work. Toby was out with his friends. Of course, Connor and Riley were not home, due to their party. They were at the lake, fifteen minutes away from the back of the house.

It was just Captain, the family dog, and I cuddling on my bed.

I was alone for most of the time in my life and for some reason, I felt a sense of loneliness for the first time in forever. This was rare.

“I guess, it's just you and I, Captain.” I cooed, scratching the dog behind his ears.

There was a knock on the door and it creaked open, with Riley poking his head in. Captain immediately left my side and trotted over to Riley, his tail wagging more than it was with me.

“I thought you left.” I said, slightly happy that I wasn't alone and slightly bitter that Captain had left me.

“I'm about to.”

“Have fun.”

“Wait, I'm here to get you.”

“Why? I said I wasn't going.” I flipped over on my bed to face the blank wall.

“I don't want you alone in the house. It'll be boring.”

“I'll write.”

“Trinity, don't you wanna hang out with Braiden?”

“Yeah, but - “

“There's a girl name Jonnie and she has a crush on Braiden. I don't think you wanna lose to her, because she flirts with him....a lot.”

“Is she pretty?” I asked, turning to look at him.

Riley's eyebrows raised at the question, then softened. “Yeah, she is.”

I thought for the what it seemed to be, the longest moment of my life. I thought about Shamin's jealously the time that met Edward's so called “fiance.” I questioned to myself on how pretty was this Jonnie girl?. I took a deep breath and murmured, “Okay.”

“Yes!” Riley pumped his fist in the air and I giggled. He really did care about me.

“I'll be ready in about ten minutes.”

“You better be.” He skipped downstairs and I ran to my closet. “Oh.” I heard him stop in the hallway. “And Trinity?”

“What?”

“I think tonight would be perfect time to tell Braiden you like him.”

I gulped and stuttered, “Y-You mean...a-ask him o-o-out?”

“I don't really picture the girl asking the guy out, but maybe your confession would lead to that.” I was sure I could picture him smirking in the hallway.

“I can't do that. You're crazy.”

“You gotta learn to take risks Trinity. Life's more fun like that.” I heard his footsteps disappear with each step he took downstairs.

I stared at myself in the mirror, trying to fix my brown hair in many other different ways. I dug into my closet, which thank god, I finally got un-lazy to hang all my clothes. I pulled jeans and a shirt I took from my mom's closet. It was a simple dark blue v-neck. I didn't bother with the makeup, except for that little mascara, the day I went to the fair.

I hurried downstairs and met up with Riley, who nodded his head at my completed readiness.

We arrived at the lake which was surprisingly filled with people. There was music blaring and dancing going on. I spotted Thomas dancing alongside a girl, with complete happiness on his face. Connor who was talking to two girls, noticed me and gave me a little wave. Finally I spotted Braiden, who was talking to this one girl, who I assumed was Jonnie.

“Um...hey Braiden.” I murmured, shyly approaching him. Jonnie turned to look at me and I felt my stomach toss and turn.

“Hey Trinity. Oh, this is Jonnie.” He introduced the blonde girl who was so much prettier than me. She was almost as tall as him with bright green eyes and light eyeliner. She smiled and waved. Unlike my plain clothes, she wore a floral dress with leggings and boots.

“Your name is really Trinity? That's so cool.”

“It's not so great.” I mumbled looking at my feet.

“She's as shy as you Braiden!” Jonnie chuckled, nudging Braiden's side. “Remember when you used to be afraid to look me in the eye?”

“You're embarrassing me.” Braiden replied sheepishly.

“He's cute, isn't he?” She pointed to a blushing Braiden. “You can't hate someone like him.”

“Y-Yeah.” I looked up at Jonnie and saw she was staring at me. All the nerves in my body froze as judgment raced through my thoughts.

“Hmm, I think you have my younger sister in one of your classes.”

“Younger sister?”

“You're a junior right?”

“R-Right.”

“I'm a senior. I honestly think I've heard about you from my sister.” She tapped her chin to think and I panicked.

So I wasn't exaggerating. They really did talk about me behind my back and to other people. Suddenly, I found myself cradling my stomach, feeling absolutely sick. A wave of nausea got to my throat and I felt like throwing up.

Just about a week ago, I didn't care. Now, I was starting to feel awful at the thought of being alone.

Braiden must have understood when he grabbed my arm, murmuring “Excuse me”, and taking me to the other side of the lake.

“Braiden?”

“I know, you must have been feeling uncomfortable.”

“Who told you?”

“I can't say.”

“It's Riley isn't it?”

“Well....”

“I'm gonna kill him.” I hissed under my breath. “That snitch!”

“Trinity, who cares what people think? You have people who love you.”

“Love me?”

“I care for you.” He admitted. “A lot.” Braiden dropped onto the grass and leaned back on its blades, gazing at the sky. “Look at the stars.”

I laid next to him and stared up into the sky. “Yeah, they're really pretty.”

“Isn't it? I love going out to this lake, it has the best view of the stars.”

“Braiden,” I sat up and felt my head thud in my chest. “I....I have to tell you something.”

He sat up as well and gave me a curious look, “What is it?”

“I...Um....” I swallowed and tried to speak again, but I couldn't.

“What?”

“Um....I-I....”

That sick feeling was coming up again and I knew I couldn't afford to screw up this moment.

“Trinity?”

“I....I.......” I thought about how Riley said that we made a perfect couple and how I was acting like an idiot in front of Braiden right now. “I like you.”

His eyes widened and his mouth fell open . I knew that he wanted to say something, but deep down I knew he had nothing to say. Deep down, I knew that I would regret doing what I did. I knew that something was wrong.

“And if-if you like me b-back, then maybe we could....” I swallowed. “G-Go out?”

He pressed his lips together and had a hurt look on his face.

“B-Braiden?”

“Trinity. I....” He looked at me and it was the look I've been dreading for the longest time. “Thank you, but - “

But. But. But. But....

I prayed at the moment, I prayed so hard that he wouldn't say those words.

But apparently someone powerful must've hated me, when Braiden said the words, “I can't see you as more than a friend.”

I felt tears welling up in my eyes. I tried so hard not to let my tears come rushing out.

“I-I'm sorry.” I could tell he was having a hard time, saying these words to me, forcing to look at my face full of despair. “I'm sorry, but you must have misunderstood when I said I cared about you. I mean it as a sister. I mean....I'm sorry Trinity. I really am. I'm so sorry. “

“I know, I know.” I stood up, curling my hands into balls. I had to hold in my tears as long as I could, so I can let it all out when I got the house. “E-Excuse me.”

I speed walked all the way back to the house. It was especially hard to tell Riley that my ankle was staring to hurt again, when it healed about a month ago. Halfway on my way home, I felt the waterworks and therefore, I ran.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! I've had a long hiatus. However, thanks to the recent feedback on this story, I've decided to update it ~ :D

I'm honestly too lazy to find pictures right now, I'm Sorry D: