Keep Away

I know she's special, but inside she thinks she's not.

~Chapter 5~

Shamin Starkley, prestigious daughter of a rich household, stared outside the window again. The bustling cities of New York were always quite busy, with the constant honks of horns and busy people shuffling in and out of the streets. She pressed a hand against the window and watched a woman in a fur coat jump into a taxi. Boy, did she wish she could do that.

After all, she's never been outside the hospital for a single day in her life.


“Um....you spelled my name wring.” I dropped my pencil, in shock that I was no longer in the eye's of Shamin, but staring into the eyes of the new kid.

“Huh?”

“My name is not spelled with an E. It's spelled with an O.” Connor frowned and pointed at the name I wrote at the top right hand corner of our two-partner assignment. Just as he said, I had mistakenly wrote Conner.

“You seem upset.” I noted, erasing his entire name.

“Sorry,” He said sheepishly. “I just absolutely hate it when they spell it like that. It's too much of a common mistake.”

“Mhm....” I finished up the rest of the assignment as quickly as I could, determined to get back to my story.

“You still not gonna talk to me?” I shook my head and continued to write. “Are you super sure you don't hate me or anything?”

“How could I possibly hate you? We've only known each other for two days and we've barely talked.”

Connor rolled his eyes. “You just give me the cold shoulder and it's kinda making me assume that I annoy you.”

“Don't take it personally, I do it to everyone.” I looked around the room and caught a stare from one of all the people in this room I hated. He leaned over and whispered to his friend next to him. The friend with the black cropped hair turned to look at Connor and I.

I quickly slid the pamphlet over to Connor and turned back to my notebook. I could still feel their gazes still on me, causing me to shift uncomfortably in my seat.

“Yo Trinity! I already did my part of the assignment, I'm not doing your's.” He slid the pamphlet back to me and I returned it to him, my eyes still locked with blondie. “Seriously, what --”

“She's fucking with you, man.” The boy who was staring at me spoke up. His name was Danny and he was beyond the worst bullies I've ever encountered. Not only was he bulk enough to beat someone to a pulp, his words really did had the ability to wreck you emotionally and mentally.

“Yeah, don't trust her new kid!” His friend chimed in. This was Terrance. The second worst bully of the class, he was more of a henchman, but he was just as bad as Danny. “She does that to everyone. She lets everyone do all the work for her.”

I knew he was telling a lie. In the beginning of the school year, I was given picked partners and I never made anyone do the work. In fact, I was the one who did the whole thing. My partner was either someone like Danny or someone completely cluessless. After deciding to work by myself, of course I never had anyone to work with.

I knew if I had said something, everyone would accuse me for being indenial. That meaning, I had to shut my mouth and just take it. I'll just get back to my writing and ignore the world around me, just like always.

But today, I just couldn't concentrate.

“Hey!” Connor actually said something to the class for once. “Trinity is kept to herself and so am I. We do our own work, okay? No one does each other's assignment.”

Oh no. Oh no. Oh no. Oh no. Dammit Connor! What the hell are you doing!

Danny scoffed. “Didn't you just say a couple of minutes ago that she was getting you to do her work?”

“Maybe she just wasn't feeling it today.”

“Connor, shut up.” I hissed, hoping he had heard me. He didn't.

“So, stop picking on her okay? Let's all just get back to our work here.”

I turned my attention towards Danny who was now glaring at Connor, while Terrance was trying not to laugh. Danny scooted his chair back and grabbed the edge of the desk, signiling that he was going to get up and …..god knows what...

I stood up before he could even move another inch. “You're right Danny. It's my fault. I decided that I would be a bitch like usual and get him to do my work.” I sat back down and earned a satisfied grin in returned

Connor, however, wasn't too impressed with my speech. “You've got to be kidding me. How could you let them treat you like this? Especially that asshole over there?” Thank god, he was now whispering.

I looked once at Connor then tore a piece of paper out of my notebook. I scribbled “Shut up” in large letters and slid it over to him. He looked over and gave me a look of disgust.

“Right...” He murmured sarcastically under his breath, getting back to his work.

I looked back up at Danny who was no longer paying attention to me, but at Connor. His lips were twisted into a scowl and was whispering something to Terrance. The two then shared a laugh.

I just knew that Connor being chosen to sit next to me, sealed his fate. Two days two days I had tried to ignore him, but he just kept talking to me, wether it was about assignments or just life in general. He just wouldn't shut up, he wouldn't take the hint, and he just wouldn't leave me the hell alone. I looked once at the boy who actually stood up for me for the first time in my life. He didn't seem to notice me, but he was scribbling down his assignment in a frustrating way, while he maintained a look of irritation on his face. I knew I didn't want it to come to this, but it was already too late. For once, I was being ignored by the toughest guy in my class.

I did my part as best as I could, but the damage was already done.

He was already Danny's next target.
♠ ♠ ♠
Am I doing great on this story? Leave a comment and let me know what you think! :) Sorry it's so short D: