Keep Away

She's the best thing,

Probably after Connor had left, a woman came in and started bombarding me with questions. What's my name? Where did I live? Was my ankle still hurting? I answered it honestly and quickly, shifting a nervous glance at Connor who had came back and stood by the kitchen door with no expression. The boy who I had met earlier, Riley, sat at the chair next to me. Another younger boy, who looked maybe 12, was next to him.

“My name is Trinity Whestly and I live about ten minutes away from your house.”

“What were you doing up in our tree?”

“I didn't know it was part of your front yard,” I looked at Riley and he gave me a confused glance. “I go to that tree because it's my.....it's my thinking place.”

“So mom, are you okay with a complete stranger climbing our trees?” Connor spoke, his voice tinted with a bit of sarcasm.

The woman, who had introduced herself as Joan McDonough, looked over at me. “Trinity, what are your parent's numbers? They can pick you up and have you treated at the hospital.”

“I...I don't really have parents.”

She cracked a small smile. “What are you talking about darling? Are you saying that you live alone?”

I swallowed heard and looked away from her, staring blankly at my cast. “I haven't seen my dad for four years.” My cheeks grew red, feeling Connor and everyone's eyes in the room on me. They were all judging me and I knew it. “My mom....I haven't seen her two months.”

“Two months?” Joan repeated. “Where is she?”

“I don't know. I never know where she is. Usually, she'd go out drinking and run away somewhere. She'll be gone for as long as a month, two months is the longest I've gone without seeing her.” I tried to swallow the lump in my throat but it just wouldn't go down. My eyes started brimming with tears. “So I um....I live alone and make do without her.”

“Sweetie, you can't keep living like this. Do you have no other relations in the state?”

I shook my head. “But I'm okay with living by myself! I have enough food in my cabinet and I kinda know how to clean.”

“Honey, first thing tomorrow, you are gonna go back to your house and pack up all your stuff. You're gonna stay in our house, because an underage girl can't live alone.”

“No please, it's okay. I'm too much work anyway. I'll just be a waste of space.”

“Nonsense.” She quickly ran into the kitchen and handed me a plate of lasagna and a glass of water. “Here eat this, you must be starving. There's not many home cooked meals in your refrigerator, are there?”

“No there isn't any at all...” I murmured, staring in awe at the beautiful plate of lasagna. “T-Thanks...”

Luckily Joan headed back in the kitchen when I began stuffing my mouth with spoonful after spoonful, of saucy, cheesy lasagna. Riley and the little boy had left to go upstairs and Connor was still standing there, who I didn't notice at first because I was so indulged in my food.

“Looks like you haven't eaten for a while,” he commented.

“Hey, after you have canned yams for two nights in a row,” I paused to swallow. “You begin to doubt that good food exists anymore.”

“I'm guessing you're not a good cook?”

“Microwaving is my specialty.”

I looked over at Connor whose face was now full of distress. He bit his lower lip and tore his eyes away, staring at the wooden floor. “You were being serious.”

“What?”

“You really do live a lonely life.”

I gave him a sad smile and did a light shrug. “Yeah, but I guess that's how I'm supposed to live. Fate decided this for me.”

“Are you really gonna go with all this fate B.S? How can you be okay with all this?”

“It's been happening for four straight years. I'm okay.”

“No you're not. You're hurting on the inside. I know it, you're just to scared to call out for any help.” Connor's voice was raised. “Four straight years? And you never said anything? How do you live with yourself?”

“I think it's none of your business.”

“Pushing me out your life again?”

“You stay out of it. You don't know me. You don’t know my life. So stop trying to butt in, because we all you're now you're just ignorant.”

“I'm just trying to help.” Connor left the living room and stormed upstairs. I looked at my empty plate and immediately felt guilty.

Xxx

Connor's mom allowed Connor, Riley and I to miss a day of school, so that they would help me move all my things to their house. It was awkward, because I didn't know that the the McDonough family existed until today. Not to mention, that I still had tensions between Connor and I.

“So, you two have class together?” said Riley, breaking the silence.

“Yeah English,” I mumbled.

“You guys must be good friends.”

Connor then let out an obnoxious scoff and walked ahead of us. “What's his problem?”

Riley shrugged. “Must be something you said.”

“You should talk.”

“Huh?”

“You critcize me just as much as he does!”

“I have no idea what you're talking about.”

“Connor told me you're that boy in the tree!”

Riley contemplated on the subject for a while, before answering, “Well, he's a liar.”

“What do you mean?”

“I'm saying that I'm not the guy that you should be mad at. Connor is. Everyday after school, I always see him going up in that tree and it's weird, because he just stays there for like a whole hour,” He tapped his chin. “I swore I saw you there once too.”

“That little...” I glared at Connor, who had his earphones put in. “Why would he lie about that?”

“Guess he didn't wanna be found.” Riley chuckled. “Why does he make you mad anyway?”

“Something.” I walked ahead of the boys and approached my house, fishing keys out of my pocket. I unlocked the door and opened it, a wave of terrible nostalgia washed over me. I haven't been inside this house since yesterday afternoon, so I almost forgot its lonely feeling. “Home sweet home.” I mumbled under my breath, walking in.

“Nice house,” Riley whistled.

“Yeah, it gets a little boring when you're by yourself.” I said flatly, earning a embarrassed look.

“So what do you want us to do?” Connor spoke for the first time. He didn't look thrilled, but he didn't look exactly annoyed either.

“Nothing actually. You two can just sit on the couch. It's mainly girl stuff anyway.”

“You sure?” asked Riley.

“Sounds good to me.” Connor shrugged, plopping down on the couch nevertheless.

It didn't take long to gather up all of the belongings I owned. I mindlessly stuffed clothes in a suitcase and gathered up everything else I needed. It was weird to have two people other than me in my house for once, boys especially. I took a long look around my room, the walls were luckily bare, so I wouldn't really miss my room. It was just gonna be hard to get used to, not sleeping in your own room anymore.

“Okay, I'm done.” I called, dragging my suitcase down the stairs.

“That was pretty quick.”

I shrugged. “I guess so.”

“Hey, we should hang out somewhere!” Riley grinned. “My mom let us skip school for a day, so it'd be boring to go back home already. I mean, what if she sends us back?”

“No thanks.” I said quietly.

“Seriously?”

“Yeah, I um...am not in the mood.”

Connor let out a snort. “Knew it!”

“Knew what?” I demanded.

“That you don't wanna hang out with us? Riley's being the super nice guy he is and you're just gonna say no? You may think that you're trying to help us, but all you are is being is straight up mean!”

“Here's something I wanna know, why do you care so much? Why are you always on my case on every choice I make? Stop trying to change my opinion, because I know exactly what I want.”

“Oh yeah? And what do you want?”

“I just want you and everyone else to leave me the hell alone!” I left my house, without even bothering to close or even lock the door afterward.

“That's very mature!” Connor cried sarcastically. “Cause being alone is the greatest thing in the world!”

“Shut up!”

“Being alone sucks and you know it!” That sentence echoed in my head the whole ten minutes back to the McDonough residence.
♠ ♠ ♠
First of all, I want to thank all you for continuing to read this chapter even though it's just Connor and Trinity arguing the whole time. Things will get more exciting, I promise.

So I have introduced the McDonough Family :D
From left to right: Riley (15), Toby (13), Connor (16).

Be sure to read the author's notes, because I will post pictures and videos of BYE through out :D

Here's Riley again! He actually just turned 16 yesterday so don't forget to go on Twitter and wish him a belated birthday haha :)