Status: Leave lots of feedback if you want me to continue with weekly updates. (If I continue this will be updated either on Sunday or Friday every week)

Star Keeper

The Telling of the Great Legend

Running through the woods of our small village, or what people would commonly describe as a reservation, has always made me feel alive. It’s difficult to explain, not even to the younger members of our "pack"; most of us refer to them as "pups". I hated running with them, as everyone else did, but it’s better than not running at all. Unfortunately, the “teen” wolves, as some of the Elders like to call us, have to lead the young so they won’t harm themselves in the woods or run into any trouble like hunters. However, tonight is a special night. The air seemed illuminated with excitement. Everyone sensed it, even the pups. All the commotion made them even harder to handle, but at least they had a little extra scurry in their trots. This is the night the Elders gathered around the fire, and told the great legend - The Legend of the Star.

I turned 20 years old the week before, and I heard the story every lunar eclipse since I was old enough to come to the telling. Even though it has been told many times, it's still one of my favorite stories the Chief Elder tells. It explains why we, as wolves, only turned under the full glow of the great Keeper herself, the one they call the moon. It’s also the reason our people work so hard to stay out of the way of the humans. We are the protectors for the Keeper, and no one wanted to jeopardize that by getting in the way of the humans.

About ten yards separated the pups in my care and me, so I reluctantly slowed down so they could keep up. ‘This is not running! This is not even jogging!’ I growled in my head as I stopped to lean against a tall Pine tree. Anger swelled inside me as I tapped the toe of my boot on the ground. I did not want to be late for the gathering. If I got too angry with them and ran the way I wanted, they wouldn’t catch up with me. I’d be in all sorts of trouble with the Elders for leaving them behind. So, I looked up towards the Keeper hoping for advice. She beamed with brightness that hurt my eyes to continue looking at her, but I didn't care. Just seeing the great Keeper’s full glow always filled me with peace, and I could feel all the anger and frustration slowly drain away from my senses. Her trance pulled me in until I almost lost track of my pups who finally reached the tree I leaned against. I gave them a small smile as we raced forward.

Fifty yards from the pack rendezvous, the younger members started to fall behind again. A fierce howl escaped my lips to hurry and warn them to keep up with my pace. I was almost sure we were going to be late, but when we finally got to the gathering place I noticed we were actually second to arrive. The surprise of being the second sub-pack to arrive pleased my group.

My sub-pack of seven followed as I took my seat around the campfire. They panted from the run and anxieties for the Chief Elder’s telling of the infamous legend. More sub-packs fell into the circle surrounding the fire as the colors of the sun faded into darkness. I looked at their leaders and gave them a nodded greeting, they all reluctantly nodded back, disappointed in my small victory. We were waiting on the Elders to come in and start the telling. Everyone was anxious and delighted that it was that time of year again. The leaders of the sub-packs tried to keep their groups’ excitement in check, so they wouldn’t look weak to the other leaders, or worse their pups. A few strays rough housed with others from their sub-packs, but soon howls lingered in the air as the meeting came into session.

An older man stood before us, and the pups that were playing hurriedly sat in the circle by the fire with their leaders. The man gave them a cross look and they scooted closer to their leaders, hoping that they wouldn't get into trouble for their behavior and not coming to the circle before his arrival. He smiled, the wrinkles around his eyes were more evident in the fire light; he was tall, about 6’1, with long silver hair that he often pulled back into a ponytail. He was muscular for an older man, and he looked decades younger than the age his birth portrayed. The night air seemed warmer for this time of year, so he wore a t-shirt and khaki shorts like most of the other men. His voice echoed through the surrounding trees, as if he had a microphone. He was the alpha of our clan, the Chief Elder, and it was only he who told the legend.

He raised his arms to silence his people before beginning. “Tonight is the night that we share our tale with the young and the old.” He glanced around the circle. “Welcome my brothers and sisters. Many of you know this tale by heart, but this is a great legend amongst our kind about our land, and above all else to serve the Keeper.”

The Chief Elder looked around his pack. Some were in wolf form, others were in their human form, but all gathered for the same purpose. We gathered on this night to listen to the origin of the legend of our people.

“Tonight’s telling of the Star Keeper will be told by the last Protector of The Star. He is finally ready to share his testimony with all of you,” the Chief Elder’s voice boomed.

A low gasp echoed through the crowd. Everyone in the pack knew that the last Protector was a little over five hundred years old. There were always rumors about how he actually looked. Scars across one eye from epic battles, missing limbs, and once someone said his nose got severed during an intense battle. Only a few people had the honor of seeing him; we all agreed that he was rotting in his hideaway. Even with his age, and the rumors of his decomposer, he is one of the most respected, probably even more than the Chief Elder, members of our pack. Excitement spread across every face about to see the Protector themselves. Most seemed more interested in what he actually looked like rather than what he had to say.

Just as suddenly as it started, the whispering stopped. The Chief Elder wheeled out a small man with long snow white hair and eyes the color of faded chocolate. He was a frail old man that was barely able to sit upright in his wheelchair, but he held his head as high as he possible could. He gave a small smile to our Alpha before he looked around the crowd. Everyone was sitting on edge of their seats as the Protector parted his lips as if to speak. Instead, he simply inhaled and exhaled the fresh air deep into his fragile lungs.

“Many, many, cycles ago, I was once young just like most of you. I dreamed of being like my father, and prayed every night to be lucky enough to catch the mysterious Star that the legend speaks of,” the little old man practically whispered, but we all hung on his every word.

“It is said that a lone wolf hunted early one morn. He stumbled upon a light so bright and beautiful. It was so small, so delicate, that his only thought was to protect this little Star. That same lone wolf curled up with that beautiful light to keep it warm and to keep predators away."

“He went two days and nights without food before the Star’s light finally decreased enough to reveal her human form - a small girl. A helpless little girl that was sick, hungry, cold, and exhausted lay in place of the beautiful light,” the old man took a deep breath as he steadied himself. He shivered and pulled the red blanket across his lap closer with each word he spoke.

After one last deep breath as he continued, “the wolf then lifted the girl and took her to his home. He nursed the little Star back to health and in one month’s time an even brighter light found its way to Earth. The Star Keeper had come to collect the Star.” The Protector’s eyes glazed with memories. “The wolf did not want to give up his prize, but he realized he must do the honorable thing.” As I watched the poor old man I noticed a wave of sadness come over him as he spoke, and for the first time I began to realize what a toll protecting the Star would take on the wolf that discovered her.

“He gave the Star back to the Keeper, and the Keeper blessed the wolf with plenty of food, land, a loving family, and many years to share his story.” The Elder grasped the hand covering his shoulder affectionately. “Slowly more wolves began to migrate, and helped search the skies in hopes of prosperity as the story spread. Now, my young wolves, it is your turn. Go out, find the Star, and cherish every moment you have with her.”

The little old man grew so weak by the end of his story that he could barely hold his eyes open. Everyone was frightened when he slowly began to slump over in the chair. Another wolf leader and I stood to help the old man, but then a small snore echoed through the crowd. Breaths of relief flooded the air as more audible snores escaped his lungs. I snickered to myself as I returned to my seat. The Chief Elder chuckled as well while he wheeled the old man to his grandson who would take the Elder back to his residence before he took his place in front of the crowd once again.

“All the young wolves that are capable of keeping up with the more experienced wolves are invited to come with us to search tonight. May the Star Keeper bless each one of our families this year! We, the hunters, shall feast now, and as the eclipse begins we will begin the hunt.”

The experienced wolves and the Elders simultaneously howled letting the Chief Elder know they were ready. Most of them were the more mature wolves that still changed; however, there were a few that remained in their animal form. The other sub-pack leaders and I had the duty to round up the pups and take them to their homes before we came back to attend the hunters’ feast.

Lunar eclipses always came with two parties. A feast before for the able bodied hunters who would watch the skies and search the grounds for the Keeper’s lost Star, and a feast afterward for the families of the hunters who managed to bring food home during the eclipse. This was the first time that any of us caught a glimpse of the Protector; he was normally too sickly to leave his home much less speak like he did tonight. Whispers amongst the older hunters led me to think it was a sign of good luck. I couldn’t control my hope that maybe this night really is the five hundredth anniversary, and tonight we will find our Star.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the new and improved first chapter of this story... or well more like a prologue.
I have a co-author on this now, so it might go slower or faster than my readers are used to,
we'll just have to see how we write the new chapters, but the first six may be recognizable
to the old subscribers of this because all we did is edit and add more details/explanations.
Rachel and I hope you like the new edits :)

Rachel doesn't have a Mibba, so that's why she's not linked here, but she still loves your comments as much as I do, and she does read them.