The Warblette

Dalton.

I tightened my tie as I climbed the front steps of Dalton Academy, feeling the butterflies flutter wildly in my blazer covered stomach. The school was much bigger than Carmel, not to mention much more intimidating.I don’t know if I was cut out for such a big place, considering I grew up in one of those small towns that no one new the location of. But, I decided that this would be better than staying at that high school with all those girls that act like…Well, girls.

To explain, girls get on my nerves. They’re prissy and self-absorbed and completely pompous. I’ve never been like that. Even as a little girl, I decided I would rather play with cars and dinosaurs instead of my mom’s dresses and baby dolls. When I grew up a little, I was used to handing my dad his tools, not handing my mom her lipstick. By the time I was 15, I was changing the oil in my dad’s pick-up truck, not caring what the boys thought of my latest hair style or the make-up I wore.

I was more comfortable in boy’s clothes than I have ever been in skirts or high heels. That’s why I’m here.

Dalton Academy for Boys.

I walked through the double doors with as much confidence as I could render up, making my way toward the office to retrieve my schedule. The halls were almost completely filled with boys, smiling and laughing together. Smiled to myself, wlaking through the office doors and striding to the reception desk, spotting a woman with tall, red hair and black glasses.

“Excuse me?” At first I thought my voice would give me away, but she just smiled saying, “What’d ya need, darlin’?”

“I’m new here, and I came to get my schedule,”

“What’s your name, hun?”

“Alexandr- Alex…ander…Alexander Chrarren…” I trailed off, clearing my throat, trying to keep my cheeks from getting hot. The lady rolled herself to the filing cabinet, shifting through a row of papers before pulling out a half-sheet and rolling back to me, extending the sheet.

“Here you go, sweetie. Welcome to Dalton!” she called to me as I walked from the office. I glanced at my schedule promptly before jolting from the sound of the bell. As I looked up I realized it was 8:01.

Late on my first day…

What a good first impression.