The Iceberg Tipping

Flames.

Heat, hot, heavy, and honest. Summer was Emma’s least favorite time of year, melting in the sun was not her preferred way to die. Summer was heavy with her friend’s complaints. Won’t you come with us to the beach? Emma hated the beach, people laughed and played and got her wet, the place beckoned for smiles from the girl who refused to give an honest one. The more times you fake happiness the further it falls from your grasp. Emma was afraid she would never be happy again, but somehow that was okay. The beach was still a place she wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole, however. Are you ignoring me? they asked. “No, I’m ignoring life,” Emma murmured into her cellphone. The old friend had already disconnected though, so there was no fear building in her chest. She wouldn’t be heard, she would never be heard. Why was she afraid in the first place?
indent A pressure started making itself known around her heart, pulling at the veins and arteries that were left. What if someone could hear, Emma wondered. What if someone could hear past the I’m okays and the sorry, I’m busys? Her heart pounded in her ears, making it impossible to hear her own thoughts. Slowly, the feeling went away and she brushed it off as an absurdity. How could someone else hear her struggle if she couldn’t herself?
indent Ignorance was bliss, Emma closed the phone with a snap and tried to ignore the abrasive way that the heat tugged at her skin and made her sweat. It was only the end of May, school had only just ended, but already she was bored of the sun. Emma stripped down and pulled back the bare essentials, shorts and a tank top, before leaving the attic room all together. Downstairs, she dug in the fridge for a bottle of water and strutted her way into the living room as if she owned it.
indent Her mother, who sat on the sofa opposite her, felt a twinge of sadness as her daughter didn’t even acknowledge her presence. Swiftly, however, it was dusted off of her shoulders and the thick feeling in her stomach was instead butterflies. Giddy, was what she was. Incredibly happy about the news she was about to let burst from her lips. “Emma, darling, I’ve got something important to say,” there was a lilting grace in her voice. It was soft and high and, most of all, more joyous than it’d been in months. It was more happy than Emma felt she could ever be.
indent Emma turned to give her mother the attention she was obviously calling out for and waited patiently for whatever was so wonderful. A worried fire started beneath her and it was suddenly hotter than ever before. She could feel herself sweating, even in the frigid air conditioners blasts. Her mother’s face, which was practically Emma’s own, was vibrant. In fact, it was almost like she was glowing. The fire grew, encompassing Emma with blue flames.
indent “I’m pregnant!” her mother squealed, making Emma nearly jump out of her skin. Muttering a congratulations, she hurried out of the room. She swallowed the summer and the fire itself had moved to a much more concentrated area. Emma felt as if she were going to throw up and her feet scurried to the bathroom where she could keel over the toilet.
indent The blue flames grew into her heart and tears streamed down her face. She felt confused and for some unexplainable reason, she felt betrayed.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry it's been forever but I had the story nearly finished before my computer deleted all of it. It took me a while to rebuild the story. Some things are changing, but I should be updating again soon.

Comments are awesome, you know?