Status: Finished, but subject to editing.

My Beautiful Girl

Her..

I can remember the first time I set eyes on her, my beautiful girl. The earth moved, the moon and stars realligned themselves to her, the centre of my universe. A delicate little thing; porcelain skin, with rosy red lips, a mop of curly brown hair atop her head, and the most beautiful brown eyes.

I knew that this feeling, this brilliant new feeling would never die away. I would love her until the day I died. Hours were spent with her, talking together, laughing together, growing together, changing together. Even though she grew older, more distant, even though we argued and fell out, I still loved her. She was still my beautiful girl.

The outfit she wore when we first met is etched into my memory. A cotton white suit, with assorted buttons, and large pockets. It was too big for her and hid her small, delicate frame. Her long lashes framed her large brown eyes. She was a picture of pure beauty. I think I still have that outfit somewhere, maybe in a box in the cupboard, for memories sake.
I watched as she grew, grew into a woman. She was so young when we met, and I watched as she transformed from a caterpillar to a butterfly. I watched with pride when she achieved her dreams, taking the world by storm. I supported her through the rough patches, wiped away tears and kissed it all better. Whatever happened, we got through it together, She and I.

I cannot say I lack memories of my beautiful girl, my angel. We have so many; photographs, videos, letters, pictures, poems and cards. Memories full of laughter, memories full of tears. Smiles, grimaces, funny faces – you name them, we have them. Photographs adorn the house, she asks me to take them down, says she looks silly, she looks ugly. But she'll always be beautiful to me.

I always knew the moment would come to let my little butterfly open her wings and fly away. Let her leave and make a life for herself. I could only hope she'd remember me at my best. I could only hope that she knew when I was strict, when I told her off, when I warned people away from her, that I only did it to protect her. When harsh words caused tears to fall, and rash actions caused anger, they were done with good intentions. I never meant to hurt her, upset her, distress her.

I only hope she remembers the good times we shared. Staying up until 3 am with ice-cream and soppy films to fix a broken heart. Sitting together for hours, talking and laughing. Sharing milestones in her life, and milestones in mine. Bedtime stories, goodnight kisses.

It was my duty to protect my beautiful girl, shelter her from harm and pain. But I knew I couldn't shelter her forever. I would have to give her up to someone who could protect her as much as I did, care for her, support her, guide her, love her as much as I do. As much as I wish and as much as I pray, she can't be daddy's little girl forever. She has her own life now, her own beautiful little girl. But she will always be my little girl, my beautiful girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is just a one shot, and will be edited subject to constructive criticsm.
Thanks very much for reading.
Any comments or constructive criticsm is welcome.