‹ Prequel: Shooting Stars
Status: working on it

Rookie

Apologies and Forget Its

The next morning I got up to Ava’s crying while Sidney still slept. I went to my baby’s room to see her standing in her crib ready for breakfast. I quickly changed her diaper before going downstairs with her in my arms and set her down when we reached the ground floor.

She took off running towards Corey on her short little legs. She stumbled and fell once before finally making it to him. He swooped her up in his arms and did raspberries on her stomach.

“Daddy!” she giggled as he did and I watched from the doorway and heard Sid come up behind me.

“You could’ve told me that she already calls him Dad.”

“Why is that a problem?”

“It would’ve made it clear that there’s no serious future for us.”

“You got that out of one word?”

“You’re a mother; you have to do what’s best for your kid. And apparently I’m not in the running,” he went upstairs and got his stuff before leaving. I shook it off and went into the kitchen.

“What’s for breakfast?” I asked the two in front of me.

“Eggs, Momma!” Ava announced. I went and grabbed plates in just enough time for Corey to plop some down on the dish. He served three plates and we went to sit at the table.

“Soph, I’m really sorry I went off like that and left,” Sidney apologized over the phone later that night.

“It was unnecessary,” I told him.

“I know, I’m sorry, but I’m kind of jealous of Corey.”

“I noticed, Sidney.”

“I’m really sorry, I’d like to make it up to you. What do you say?”

“How, you are in Pittsburgh,” just then the doorbell rang. I opened it to find a delivery boy with a dozen red roses in a vase there. “You’re forgiven, but only because I have a really embarrassing display of red roses.”

“Ma’am, there’s more,” the delivery boy said. I gasped as he got pink lilies and white lilacs.

“Sidney Crosby, three dozen flowers? Where am I going to put them all?”

“Corey’s got a big house,” he laughed.

“Maybe I won’t forgive you for being so cocky.”

“That’s uncontrollable thanks to my father,” he finished.

“Not an excuse,” I responded.

“Then don’t except them as an apology, but for your hat trick last night, one per goal and the roses are for the penalty shot.”

“I guess I could accept those.”

“Good, look, I’ve got to get some sleep before tomorrow’s practice. So I’ll call you after practice?”

“Remember it’s after twelve your time,” I reminded him of the time difference, which was only an hour.

“Okay, night, beautiful.”

“Goodnight, Sidney.” We hung up and I went to get a late night snack. We had an early dinner, Corey, Ava, and I. And now Ava’s fast asleep upstairs in her room.

“I thought I heard the doorbell. It’s a bit late, isn’t it?” Corey said entering the kitchen too.

“Sid sent flowers for being such an ass this morning. He wanted me to get them tonight.”

“Ah, look, about last night. It was nothing,” Corey decided, his eyes disagreed.

“Liar,” I told my best friend.

“You’re right, but for now, don’t worry about it. My mom is coming in this week after we get home from Dallas.”

“I’ll put Ava in with me so you can set up the other bed in her room.”

“Mom will appreciate that.”

“It’s no problem, the least I could do, actually.”

“Make sure to get some sleep, rookie,” he teased before placing a kiss on my forehead like he usually does and he disappeared into his bedroom.

I had an apple before going upstairs to go to bed after my nightly routine was complete.
♠ ♠ ♠
SOMEONE CoMmeNT, PLEASE