Running With Wolves

Prologue

There was snarling and the snapping of strong jaws, a yelp as long white teeth found purchase in fleshy skin. The surrounding air was thick with humidity but if you had the nose for it you could smell dead wet leaves, musky and sweet, the stench of wet dog but also something more, something worst; blood. Low growls that, both threatened and promised, violence flew through the hot August air. You could feel it around them, the anger, the fear, the determination, and the silent promise of death.

The animals, six wolves, were locked in a battle to the death and nothing short would suffice. Four of the beasts had cornered a large grey wolf, his muzzle going white with age, but despite that his entire demeanor showed strength that demanded respect. Beside him was a slender lithe wolf nearly half his size; she too was grey but unlike her companion black tips dotted her ears and each of her toes. Threatening predatory eyes watched her body twitch ever so slightly, trying to shake off the pain from a large bloody wound on her flank. The wolves shifted moving closer causing the large grey wolf to subtly shift his weight in protection of his smaller companion. Teeth snapped and again the large aged wolf, larger than all the others, growled. The four dangerous wolves were scraggly, mud caked their fur and ribs told the story of weeks without food. But the look in their eyes was animalistic in a way that wasn’t natural. Animals killed only when they were hungry or threatened themselves; it was nature’s law and despite their underweight appearance this was not about hunger…at least not a hunger for food anyway.

Time was running out, the aged wolf knew that, he could only hold their bloodthirsty enemy at bay for so long. His fluffy grey tail swished in agitation, he knew he could take the four of them down easily, they’d been trained as assassins, born to be killers, but the older wolf had been an alpha and that above all else matter more. A whine slid through the slender wolf’s jowls, her dark oaken orbs the same color as the bark of the tree she stood beside; her eyes flickered between her protector and the four wolves. Instinctively the aged wolf shifted closer, a sign of both protection and comfort. He could take the wolves, kill them each in turn, but at what cost? The nearest wolf that cornered the two sniffed the air, his teeth pulling back over his jaws as he watched the lone female amongst five males. The old alpha watched the slinky ragged male move ever so slightly forward, his muscles strung tight and waiting to spring.

One thought, one instinct passed between the alpha and the tiny female, one command that sent a whirlwind of things into motion.


Run.

The order was low, quiet, and soothing with the promise that everything would turn out okay and the female whined again uneasily. She didn’t want to leave her alpha, her protector but she had no choice because no matter how comforting and suggestive the singular word sounded it was very much the command of an alpha that could not be challenged. She couldn’t ignore the order, she couldn’t stay beside him if she wanted to; he’d ordered her to run and she’d had no other choice.

The scraggly male, with eyes hungry for a female, launched himself at her impatiently. It’d been too long, it was too rare, he had to take his chances. 4 against 2, they’d win and the male was determined to claim her. But there was a flaw in the plan of an impulsive mind; The larger alpha could see the movement in the tendons of his legs, the rise and fall of his breathing and the moment the male had even begun to think of springing forward the old alpha had already tackled him to the ground, his teeth finding purchase under male’s jaw, crushing his windpipe.


Run.

Chaos unfolded as sleek and agile female darted away disappearing like a shot as she weaved between the trees with a singular black wolf hot on her heels. Snarls shattered the serene forest atmosphere and the scent of blood filled the air a little too strongly—yet no matter how badly she wished turn back she couldn’t.

She’d been told to run.
And she would.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a little fun fact: while this story was party inspired by my love for a werewolf series I read it's also majorly inspired by my neighbors wolf sanctuary. Fun fact parte dos? They were in the Sorcerers Apprentice =]

So this is my first original story, it's been hanging around my Word document for a few YEARS now, i've recently begun rewriting it and I'm falling in love with it. Give it a chance?

Not that anyone cares but I totally paired Evan Rachel Wood and Chris Evans for this story wayy before Gucci did. Aren't they just the most beautiful people?