Running With Wolves

One Canis To Another.

There was something completely nerve wracking about waiting rooms. It was the mere idea that you are expected to wait calmly when everything inside you is chaotic, it’s being asked to be patient and civil when not being allowed to be near the people you love most when they’re at their worst. Patience, civility, and calmness weren’t traits Lukas was good at perfecting when it came to desperate situations involving Sage.

So he paced. Like a caged wolf, like the anxious Were inside him, Lukas paced about the room. His mind had torn into two completely different thought processes, one that was completely consumed with Sage, while the other thought of the circumstances that would come of this sterile, Lysol smelling place.
Lukas knew that Sage was receiving the best care around but his thoughts drifted to the domino effect this place would have.

Sage Wolfe was within Eastern boarders, why was she within Eastern boarders?
She’d arrived in the arms of Lukas Canis. It was completely unacceptable, no matter the circumstances.

If Lukas had handed her over to anyone else they would have called a Western ambulance and transferred her to their hospital. But Lukas had entrusted his greatest love with the one other person within Eastern boarders whom he trusted whole-heartedly aside from Knoll. It was because of this, that the noise in his head wasn’t screaming any louder at him, screaming at him to stay beside her and keep her safe. It was only because of this person that Lukas wasn’t banging down the door demanding to observe just to be sure that they did indeed try everything within their powers to save her—even if she wasn’t Eastern.

It seemed like hours before that door opened and the white trench coat clad man stood before him. He had dark brown hair that fell just passed his ears making him appear younger than he was and grey eyes that matched his own; when angered this man appeared as deadly as his older brother but there was an old sadness like a dull stinging pain that was always present in his eyes that separated him from his brother.

“Lukas,” he started calmly. It was the tone he’d taken with Lukas as a child, the tone of disapproval. “What the hell have you gotten yourself mixed up in?”

“Tell me how she is.”

the desperation for an answer was so plain on his face that it was impossible to deny Lukas a response. “She lost a lot of blood…her heart stopped for a few seconds. But she’ll make a full recovery, she’s resting now.”

Lukas froze, the blood draining from his face and for a moment he felt dizzy. She’d almost died…“I want to see her.”

“You will but for the moment were going to talk.” The older man stated firmly.

“We can talk later.” Lukas tried to brush passed the man but he caught his shoulder and stopped him.

“No Lukas,” He stated sharply “we are going to talk now.”

Lukas gritted his teeth. Had it been any other person and he would have told him to go to hell but he had too much respect for this man.

“Lukas explain to me why Sage is in my hospital with a stab wound that required almost twenty stitches and caused her to loose so much blood she needed a blood transfusion.” The man demanded.

Lukas looked away, his jaw locked. “She got stabbed, Uncle Erik, what do you want me to say?”

“I want you to tell me why.” He snapped, his voice hard the undercurrent of command evident in his tone—the command of a Beta. When Lukas turned to look at him again Erik looked all too much like his own father for his liking. “Why was Sage Wolfe stabbed Lukas? Why is she in my hospital and not in Western Blackwood period?” Erik demanded. “Do you know what kind of trouble this could cause with the townspeople?”

“Fuck the townspeople, I can handle it.” Lukas snapped. He didn’t appreciate Erik believing he couldn’t.

“Oh yeah? You’re going to handle the entire fucking town wanting her hide for trespassing? Are you planning on handling your father?”

“I’m not afraid of my father.” Lukas snarled sharply, his voice hard.

“Yes, you’ve made that quiet clear by acting like quite the defiant little prince—thinks he’s a fucking badass for defying the one man in all of Blackwood that no one else would dare to since Corneliu’s death.”

Lukas shook his head in confusion. “Why are you being like this?” It wasn’t as though Viktor had Erik’s vote for favorite person of the year award.

“Because you are getting in over your head boy.” He stated hotly. “She told me she was attacked in Falcon Ridge, that scumbags molested her and beat her up.” Lukas’s jaw clenched and his hands balled into fists.
Erik sighed tiredly, “look I’m happy you brought her to me, I know that out of anyone in this whole God forsaken town, Eastern or Western, that I’m not going to cause any trouble over this. But you should keep in mind that your father merely tolerates your defiance by, and lack of, participation within the town. But bring Sage over the boarders and the two of you, no matter the circumstances running into trouble in Falcon Ridge, is not good. You know how your father feels about Wolfes.”

“Last name basis now are we?” Lukas retorted bitterly. “is that all they are now?”

“Don’t sass me boy.” Erik growled in annoyance. “I love you but I’m warning you, don’t start a war—you won’t find me at your side.”

“What makes you think I’ll start a war?”

“Because I know you and I know Sage.” He gave his nephew a knowing look. “I know you love her, I do, but I don’t doubt for an instant that the two of you together will start a war. You’ll tear Blackwood up worst than ever before.”

“I won’t loose her again.” Lukas stated surely. No one would stand in his way, no one would lay a hand against her. He would stand beside her no matter what anyone, least of all his father, said. “I won’t. I refuse to stand by while people I care about are attacked. I won’t stand idly by.”

A growl slipped through Erik’s teeth at the implication that he himself did stand idly by. In a flash he seized Lukas by the collar of his shirt. “You don’t know what you are talking about Lukas. You live in a world you created in your head where the world is black and white, where there is simply good and bad, right and wrong but it is not like that you foolish boy. Life is complicated! Ours more than most! There is a difference between doing nothing and doing nothing stupid.”

He glared at Lukas, his eyes purely Were, and his nephew didn’t fight him. After a long pause Erik released Lukas, suddenly looking years older, a pain suddenly hunched his shoulders that Lukas suspected he had placed there.

“She’s in room 37B.” he stated emotionlessly, no longer looking at his nephew before he turned and walked away silently.
♠ ♠ ♠
Couldn't help myself, here is part two. This is a little more fillerish than I wanted it to be but I wanted to find a way to introduce Erik into the story and the dynamic going on.