Mind Games

one of one

Her legs dangled from the end of the bed, slowly and rhythmically. Her hair was messily pulled up due to the summer heat the permeated the room. She held a small book in her hands, her eyes devouring the words on the page. She had no idea that Charles was standing in the doorway, halfway hidden in the shadows. He watched the way she moved so meticulously, as if every move was a dance step and she was perfectly in sync. She was beautiful, in every sense of the word. He noticed as a trail of sweat ran down her neck. He also noticed how she was quick to wipe it away, never taking her eyes off of the book.

This was not the first time Charles Xavier had watched her from the doorway, and just like every other time Charles found it to be time to leave. Just as he was about to turn, she caught his eye. Embarrassment swelled deep inside of Charles as he wondered what to do next. A smile came to her face, which helped to ease some of the discomfort he felt. Before he had a chance to react, she was back to reading her book.

Watching me, I see.

Her thoughts were as clear to him as if she had spoken them aloud. Speaking between their minds had become as easy as breathing to them, something that troubled Charles. He didn’t like being so close to someone he wanted so badly. Reading again, I see, he replied. He noticed a slight change in her facial expression, a grin she was trying to stifle.

You’re not as sneaky as you think Charles, not nearly. She turned the page smoothly, her eyes still scanning the pages. He couldn’t tell if she was really still reading, he assumed she wasn’t though, it was all for appearances sake. I never said I was sneaky to begin with. No facial expression came to her face this time. Charles immediately began scolding himself of how he needed to think of better things to say, wittier, more charming things.

He glanced down at the floor, tuned into her mind as he waited for her response. His eyes returned to looking at her, but as a thought ran through his mind, his eyes were staring down again. The floor had always been a dark wood, but now for some reason it was a light color of wood. Perhaps someone spilt something on it, but that would not explain the drastic color difference. His eyes then landed on his feet, and a strange tingling ran through his legs. It was as if a small alarm went off in his head, but he couldn’t figure out why.

Charles. Her mellifluous voice broke through his thoughts, and his eyes snapped up to meet hers. She had placed her book down, and pushed herself off of the bed. She walked swiftly towards him, stopping only inches away. Her brown eyes gazed up at him; she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. Kiss me she thought, and without a second thought he acted.

On any other occasion he would have hesitated, he would have stopped himself, but he was too far gone now. Here he had the most beautiful woman wrapped up in his arms, and he simply couldn’t let go. He kicked the door closed as her legs wrapped around his torso, her lips never leaving his. He was about to lay her on the bed when he stopped, he pulled away, leaving a sensation unlike any other on his lips.

“Talia,” he couldn’t seem to breathe. All this anticipation, all this time waiting to show her how he truly felt, he couldn’t believe it was here. “You deserve better.” That wasn’t what he expected to say, and he expected a look of shock to spread across her face. Why would he say that, he thought, as a tingling ran up his legs once again.

“Charles,” she gingerly took his face in her hands, forcing him to look at her, “You’re perfect.” Her lips met his again, softly, gently and the tingling in his legs subsided.

He laid her down gently, afraid she might shatter; afraid this perfect moment would shatter. “I love you,” he said, before kissing her. Her arms wrapped around his neck, as a tear slid down her cheek. “What’s wrong?” Charles asked, startled.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered, kissing him once, and then placing her hands over her eyes. “You have to forgive me Charles, I’m sorry,” her voice shook as tears flowed from her face. He had no idea what she was talking about, but as she removed her hands and kissed him again an immense pain coursed through his legs. He stood up, away from her as his vision became blurry. The pain then went to his head, and then it all went black.

His eyes opened quickly to see the wall of her bedroom. His eyes then looked at the doorway, with the dark colored wood flooring. He dared not look away from the floor as he felt what his arms rested on. He shut his eyes tightly, willing it not to be true, but he couldn’t lie to himself. He slowly looked down at his lifeless legs, the wheelchair supporting them. Talia had used her mind, her mutation, she had made Charles see something that wasn’t real, but it was beautiful. His eyes then landed on a small piece of paper that rested on his legs.

Charles-
I love you too, and that's why I had to leave. If I stayed I would only hurt you, all I ever do is hurt people, so I'm saving you from that, but always remember- you're perfect.
-Talia