Piano Man

Watching and Seeing

People didn’t pay much attention to Richard when he wasn’t playing music, but he was always there, watching and listening. He was a wallflower, choosing to watch and observe at the edges rather than participate.

He was there watching when Greg made his first appearance on the show. The American fidgeted as the music man played, shooting glances down at the host every so often when he thought he wouldn’t get caught. Months later, Richard saw them embracing, hands trading soft touches and both sets of eyes full of longing. Richard didn’t say a word, he just turned back the way he came and left the pair alone.

He was there watching when Colin first came to the show, barely saying a word when everyone was at the pub. Richard was one of the few who saw him leave early, turning towards the exit instead of the toilets.

He was there watching when Colin returned in the next series, talking easily with Ryan and Brad and laughing, much more relaxed than he had been previously. Clive and Greg had been sitting at the corner of the table, talking quietly. Greg looked hurt and Clive kept playing with his wedding ring.

He was there watching while Josie and Tony fought again, and was the only one who saw Josie crying at the series five party. Richard had wanted to comfort her, but she disappeared before he could get to her table.

Richard saw both the beginnings and the ends of relationships. He watched as Chip entered on the stage, staring longingly at Brad, and he saw Josie turn to Caroline for affection. He heard Clive and Greg argue time after time, until Greg stopped seeing Clive completely.

Time passed. The cracks began appearing in Tony. Chip no longer sat with Brad at the pub, spending more and more time staring at the bottom of his pint glass. Greg tried to chase after Ryan for a while, but Richard sensed his heart wasn’t in it. Ryan barely noticed; his eyes were only for Colin. Colin kept his distance.

Richard was there to overhear Dan and Mark talking one evening when he was heading out of the studio. There were mentions of the show moving, talks about the states. Richard listened at the door for a while, moving away when he could hear the soft moans.

He watched everything go by, an outsider to everything. He simply sat behind his piano, observing the world as it past. After all, he was only the music man. It wasn’t his job to talk.