No Clue Why You Left

Belong

Once the reception was over The guys and I stood around awkardly, talking to each other. The girls danced more then us but occasionally came back when it was just too awkward out in the pit.

"Nice tie," Mikey complimented, earning me a smug look from Gerard. I nudged him with my elbow and looked back at the floor. The hollow, empty feelings were still in my stomach from the kiss. Addison had moved on. She was in love with Trent. She had a child who would not know her own father due to his stupidity and fear. My fear.

Gerard gave me a concerned look but I shrugged it off, looking up to see the massive group doing some weird dance.

"What the Hell is that?" I asked, gesturing to the dance. Ray and Gerard stayed blank while Mikey actually answered "They're shuffling."

"Weird folk..." I muttered, leaning against Gerard's side a little. He places his hand on my hip and went back to talking with Ray.

I wonder if Addison ever thought if any of this was going to affect Brittney. If finding out her parents had rushed into a relationship and ended it suddenly with a stupid fight was going to affect her choices in life.

A slower song came on over the stereo, causing Gerard to grin and pull me into the sea of swaying bodies. At some point in the song Addisom came over to us. Gerard left immediately, already sensing it was important.

"Shall I have this dance?" she joked, putting out her hand. I snorted and took it, slowly starting to sway with her.

"I'm sorry I caused you so much pain.." She suddenly said, causing me to shrug.

"If you don't mind me asking.. Why did you keep that ribbon?" I asked, feeling it burn a hole in my jean pocket. She shrugged.

"At first it was because I loved you... But when I stayed with Trent it kinda became something I had to have. Like, I was wanting so badly to stay in love with you..To not hurt you like I did, But there were so many things pulling us apart I couldn't take it..." She smiled weakly. I nodded.

"I understand... In a weird way." I pulled my arms away from her. "Go dance with your husband..." I returned the weak smile. She smiled and nodded, already heading off to find Trent.

I realized that night that no matter what, Addison and I wouldn't have stayed together. As much as I loved her I had let her go. She had moved on to someone who wouldn't leave her for months and months and months.... I let her go, almost feeling her slip away, like sand between my fingers. I was with Gerard now, and I was happy. Even though I still felt the pangs of sorrow when I looked over at her and Trent I stayed away. This was their night, and I was with Gerard. Nothing could change that. No matter how much I wished she would always be a sweet memory, the fading touch of a lost love. But I was with Gerard now.

I belonged.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, went a bit overboard there.