Status: Ongoing

For You (Eyes Rutherford)

Part 6

Soon, we were standing out in the empty auditorium watching Mr. Rutherford play the piano. His music was very beautiful. It made me want to laugh and cry at the same time. I hated to admit it, but he was probably as good as my brother.

“It’s him!” Hiyono exclaimed unnecessarily. “I can’t believe it! Eyes Rutherford in the flesh!”
Ayumu and I just stared at her weirdly.

“O…kay?” I said, shifting my violin case to my other shoulder. I had grabbed it before we left the school. I was particularly fond of my violin as it was a gift from Ayumu for my 15th birthday and I did not feel comfortable leaving it in a place so public.

We slowly made our way down the stairs and to the stage. When we were standing about 20 feet behind Mr. Rutherford, we stopped, the piano stopping only seconds afterward.

Mr. Rutherford sighed and turned around, looking straight at Ayumu like Hiyono and I weren’t even there.

Ayumu stiffened and glared slightly back at him. “You sure chose a fancy way to get me to visit,” he said to Mr. Rutherford who was now getting up from the piano bench. “You could have just phoned. What do you want?”

“Play for me,” Mr. Rutherford replied bluntly in an emotionless British accent.

“What do you mean?” Ayumu asked uncertainly.

I stayed silent, studying the young man before us. He was tallish with shoulder length white hair. His lean but muscular body was clad in all black and his electric blue eyes were both cold and mesmerizing.

“I want to hear you play the piano,” Mr. Rutherford clarified. “I’m very curious to see if the Narumi namesake can live up to the myths that seem to surround you.” Mr. Rutherford advanced towards us.

“I’m sorry to disappoint you,” my brother said, not sounding very sorry, I might add, “but I gave up the piano years ago.”

Mr. Rutherford smirked. “Clearly you’re lying to me,” he stated, grabbing my brother‘s wrist and holding it up so everyone could see his hand. “Not only have your hands been possessed by the piano, but they conceal the passion you have for the instrument that to continue to play to an audience of none.”

Ayumu glared at him and yanked his hand out of Mr. Rutherford’s grip. “You have no idea what you’re taking about,” he replied angrily.

“Of what are you so afraid?” Mr. Rutherford asked. “Is it the recognition that you are no comparison to your brother that frightens you?”

Ayumu just continued to glare at him while my own eyes blazed holes into Mr. Rutherford’s face.

“You’ve been blessed with a gift, but you must be aware that your skills are, at best, an imitation of Kyotaka’s. You don’t even begin to compare to the original. You’re merely a cheap recreation of one of the greatest talents to ever live.”

I ground my teeth together and flexed my fists. I was just itching to knock that stupid accent right out of him.

I took a deep, calming breath, gaining control over myself before I decided to speak up.

“You’re wrong,” I said, barely concealing my quiet fury. “You have no right to speak to him like that. You may think you’re a great pianist, but I can tell you right now that he is a million times better than you could ever be.”

I looked up to meet Mr. Rutherford’s eyes. “And who are you?” He asked, managing to sound colder than ice.

I lifted my chin up proudly and answered him with a small smirk on my face. “You seem to know everything,” I told him. “Why don’t you tell me who I am.”

Ayumu grabbed my hand and squeezed it in warning. My anger mechanism trigger was very sensitive when it came to my brothers.

“Calm down, Ayame,” my brother murmured. “He’s not worth it.”

I sighed and ran my other hand through my short brown locks. “Yeah,” I said, “I know.”
 
 
~Eye’s P.O.V.~
 
“You’re wrong,” a small feminine voice said angrily. “You have no right to speak to him like that. You may think you’re a great pianist, but I can tell you right now that he is a million times better than you could ever be.”

I looked slightly to the right of the younger Narumi to see a young, petite girl shaking with barely contained fury. “And who are you?” I asked, coldly.

She lifted her chin up proudly and answered me with a small smirk upon her pretty face. “You seem to know everything,” she said to me, “why don’t you tell me who I am.”

Although her voice was coated with anger, it still managed to sound sweet and melodious.

Ayumu grabbed her hand and squeezed it in gently. I narrowed my eyes and said nothing.
“Calm down, Ayame,” Ayumu murmured. “He’s not worth it.”

She sighed softly and ran a delicate looking hand through her short, silky-looking brown locks. “Yeah,” she said, “I know.”

“So,” I said, finally speaking up, “you’re Little Narumi’s sister.” It wasn’t a question. It was rather obvious that the two were related. Not only did they look almost identical, but they also shared very similar names.

“Yeah,” she said challengingly, “what’s it to you?”

I cocked my head to the side curiously. “I wonder,” I started, “does the Narumi talent run through you as well?”

I watched as she quickly brought one of her small hands up to a black strap that connected to a black violin case that was resting on her back.

“Maybe, maybe not,” the girl replied stiffly, “I don’t see how that’s any of your business, though.”

I smirked triumphantly and turned back to the older Narumi. Her reply had all but answered my question.

“Ayumu Narumi,” I said, “you will forever be a loser.” I glanced quickly back over to Ayumu’s sister to see her liquid honey eyes burning with shock and anger before turning around and walking off the stage. This was a very interesting meeting.
♠ ♠ ♠
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the Spiral characters, only my own character Ayame Narumi.