Status: all done :)

Dirty Laundry

''Off limits''

Lina came up a few minutes later with Kyle. ‘‘You look bummed'' she smiled laying Kyle between us. ‘‘He’s a masochist'' i grumbled mostly to myself. ‘‘Most workaholics tend to seem that way''

''I don’t care for his work..I’m worried because he's wounded..His ribs are broken and the whole side of his torso is bruised black and blue. I just don’t want him to keel over before his time'' I sighed. Cerberus loped in and settled on the floor in front of the bed. i put my hand over Kyle’s little belly and smiled at him. I leaned in smelling his soft baby scent and curled myself around him. ‘‘You really love him don’t you'' Lina licked her lips. I nodded ''it’s crazy, I’ve only been with him for like a few week.''

‘‘Love is crazy, why do you think I love Caleb? Sure he's an ass but he's got his sweet side'' ''they all do'' ''I’m really curious..What does smith do?'' ‘‘I can’t tell you'' ''why not?'' ‘‘I need you to think..He’s CIA'' ''..Ok?'' ‘‘What do you think when you hear CIA'' ''spies..''
She shrugged unsure. ‘‘Think'' '' they don’t recruit assassins anymore I think'' she shrugged. I winked at her. She looked at me wide eyed and sat up rim rod straight ‘‘you’re shitting me'' she gasped. ‘‘You can’t let him know you know..Im not suppose to know but that was inevitable..I just need you to stop asking questions, they can get you killed in his line of work. The more you know the more you’re in danger. But sometimes the less you know can really be the death of you. So where does the balance start? I don’t know. But that’s all you need to know..Got it?''
‘‘Yeah'' she nodded looking around. ‘‘Oh my god is he really an assas-'' ''yes'' ''I don’t believe you'' ''then follow me'' I stood up picking up Kyle and leading her across the hall to the door beside his office. i opened it and she looked wide eyed at the room. I walked in and looked around at the tactical knives and guns that lined the walls and the antique weapons were in glass cases on the floor. I flipped a switch on the wall that opened a wall to the room where his gym was and his high tech equipment and computers that showed the surrounding forest. Lina just stood there wide eyed ''is this real?'' she gasped. ‘‘Yes..I actually discovered this room a few days ago when i was cleaning'' ''holy shit you really are dating a-'' ''shh'' ''you would date an assassin'' she snorted. I rolled my eyes ''shut up''

I heard the doorbell ring and momentarily Cerberus ran downstairs barking. I went to the monitors confused since there wasn’t suppose to be anyone here. I raised a brow when I saw Landon standing there. I walked down to the front door and opened the door. Landon stood there with a grim expression ''Landon? What are you doing here?'' I asked. ‘‘Smith sent me'' ''why?'' ‘‘He said something about his trips being triggered and making sure you and Kyle were ok..Im here to babysit'' he sighed the word as if he loathed it. I laughed ''babysit? I don’t need you to babysit-'' ''I’m not arguing with him..You know what he is and if you knew the people after him then you'd be paranoid too'' he walked in and closed the door locking it. ''I know they're dangerous..Two already came in the house'' ''I know'' ''I know that the men after him are dangerous..But I’ll let him be his paranoid self'' I rolled my eyes. He smiled charmingly then nodded ''wise girl''

‘‘Oh hush'' I snorted. ''Lina'' I called. She was in the living room looking lost. ‘‘Yeah?'' ''you’re moving in Kyle’s room..'' ‘‘Ok'' she nodded looking at Landon with a raised brow. ‘‘This is a friend of Smith..Landon. Landon this is my dear friend Lina she's staying with us until her parents are home from Vietnam'' Landon smiled at her and extended his hand ''Landon Mctiyrne'' ''she's eighteen and taken I don’t think so'' I growled pushing him away from her. ‘‘What? i cant be nice'' ''I don’t like that smile'' I pointed a firm finger at him. His smile turned mocking ''ok fine off limits I got it'' he put his hands up in surrender. I nodded smiling ''yeah now go do something useful'' ''I’ll be in smith's office'' ''ok if you’re hungry there’s leftover dinner in the fridge'' I said as he walked off. When he was gone Lina looked to me. ‘‘Who is he?'' she asked with a wicked smile on her face. ‘‘Oh my god..No..No nononononono'' i shook my head. ‘‘What?'' ''no your with Caleb'' ''if he's as loaded as smith then I can dump Caleb'' ''Lina that man is way, way older than you..That’s not gonna happen'' ''how old is smith'' ''none of your business'' ''he's older isn’t he?''

''Lina I said no and that’s final. He’s not what you think'' ''he's an assa-'' ''yes Lina he's an ass'' I looked at her wide eyed shaking my head. She nodded ''oh ok'' she whispered. ''Lina I do what i do for your own protection'' ''if I wanted a mother I’d call mine'' she grumbled. ''Lina I just don’t want you to get hurt'' ''what about you?'' ''I won’t get hurt..Trust me''

‘‘You say that too-'' ''Lina..Please. Just don’t'' ''fine'' ''he's handsome but looks aren’t everything. Besides he's way way older than you'' ''for the record I’m the same age as Smith''
Landon snorted from upstairs. ''Landon you better have a damn good reason to be eavesdropping'' I shouted back. All I could hear was his chuckle. I turned back to Lina and she was crossing her arms ''if he's so much older than me then why are you with smith?'' ‘‘Because I’m not lusting over him..I actually love him for him not his assets. Money and looks aren’t everything Lina, there are things more deeper and meaningful and that’s why I can’t let you make that mistake. Sure Caleb is abusive when he's drunk but you love him..'' ''I could easily fall out of love for a diamond ring'' she said wistfully'' ''that’s sad..Very very shallow'' ''what? Diamonds are a girl’s best friend..Men come second'' ''diamonds are cold lifeless gems.. What can I diamond do for you? They can’t talk to you or make you laugh. You can’t have a family with them, in the long run you'd be lonely'' ''I hate it when your right'' she growled. ‘‘You know I love you'' I put an arm around her shoulder and kissed her forehead. We went back upstairs and I laid Kyle in his crib since he fell asleep then went to my room and watched TV with Lina. ''I’ll move Kyle in here so you can sleep''

‘‘You don’t have to..I don’t mind him'' ''are you sure?'' ‘‘Yeah'' she nodded. She lifted her head and looked to me seriously ''how old is smith?..Please tell me he's not like thirty-five'' ''no he's in his twenties..He’s twenty-seven years old'' ''you would date a guy like ten years older than you'' ''i didn’t know how old he was when I was with him, I actually found out recently. I really don’t care either way'' I shrugged. ‘‘Besides eight years isn’t that bad of a difference. My parents were that many years far apart'' ''yeah but your parents are divorced'' ''that’s because they didn’t agree on everything'' ''do you agree with smith on everything?'' ''..Most of the time'' ''most of the time?'' ‘‘We disagree on something’s as you've seen'' I shrugged. ‘‘I guess'' ''no relationship is perfect'' ''true'' she sighed.

‘‘So..'' she smirked. ‘‘So what?'' I sighed knowing she was going to bring something disturbing up ''Landon..Why I cant I just tap that once?'' ‘‘Oh my god'' I buried my head in the pillow.
I screamed and looked up at her ''he is way way waaaay out of your league'' ''he's not'' ''your dating someone'' ''one fling wouldn’t matter'' ''yes it would'' ''but I have needs and Caleb-''
‘‘Please I do not want to know'' I sighed. ‘‘Why cant I?'' she whined. ‘‘Are you really whining about sleeping with a guy? wow'' ''he's hot'' she shrugged. I buried my head in the pillow again and squeezed my eyes shut. Why wasn’t she at least trying to understand my reasoning. ‘‘Ok how bout I put it this way..He’s my friend and your my friend..You bang him and I’ll be forever awkward in front of the both of you'' ''dude you can’t do that to me'' she groaned. ‘‘Well its true'' ''fine..Off limits'' she grumbled. I smiled victoriously. ‘‘Well if I’m not getting laid then I’m going to sleep..Night'' she kissed my cheek and walked out the door. I took a shower and put my nightgown on. I couldn’t get any sleep so I just sat up. I looked at the time and it was midnight.

Smith would be home soon. I went downstairs and looked in the fridge for some orange juice. Cup in hand I sat at the table and pulled my knees to my chest as I stared out at the backyard.
It’s a pity I couldn’t go out there because of the mercenaries, whether they are there or not, but I knew it was probably wise to stay inside. I just wanted to look up at the stars again. I ignored Landon as he came down and looked in the fridge. He pulled out leftover spaghetti and finally noticed me sitting here. ‘‘Oh you’re up'' ''I can’t sleep'' I shrugged taking a sip of my juice.
''what’s wrong?'' he asked serving himself a plate and popping it in the microwave. I didn’t answer until the microwave dinged. ‘‘I want to go outside'' ''then why don’t you?'' ‘‘Im not dumb,
I know smith asked you to come because of the mercenaries, whether they're there or not'' ''something else is bothering you'' he went to the pantry and grabbed a bottle of whiskey.
He sat down across from me with the bottle and a glass then ate his spaghetti. I didn’t say anything. He looked at me expectantly. I reached for the bottle and poured some into my juice.
He paused ''I don’t think that’s-'' he stopped as I shot him a nasty glare. ‘‘Ok'' he said in surrender. I looked down at my own glass and sighed. ‘‘Does he always work when he's injured?'' I asked almost inaudibly.

‘‘He works until Miri orders him to take a week off'' ''and why hasn’t she? He can barely lift his arm and his bruises still look as if he got them yesterday and the cuts and nicks still bleed a little even though he tries to hide them from me, but i see it, and the stitches on his head..Why hasn’t she ordered him to take a week? He’s not fit for working right now'' I said quietly. I took a sip of my juice. Maybe orange juice and whiskey wasn’t a good combination but it did the trick for now. I was still worried for his health. I might sound a bit crazy for going on and on about it but it really concerned me. Landon set his fork down and looked at me sympathetically. ‘‘You don’t have to be worried princess, he's a strong guy''

''I know, I don’t doubt that, he's very strong but sometimes you need to just sit back and relax. I’m not worried because he'll kill himself; I’m worried because he won’t give himself anytime to heal. Sure he can keep working like he is but he's in pain while he's doing it, he hides the limp every time he walks but I see the grimace on his face. I’m there in the morning I hear him groan in pain when he gets up. It’s not just his injuries, it’s his back and knees and neck. He’ll work himself until he's sore and pay for it in the morning'' I looked down at my juice counting the pieces or pulp floating in my cup.

''I’ll talk to him if you'd like'' ''no don’t, you know smith is a private man. I’ve probably said too much'' I shook my head. ‘‘We all deal with it; it’s the price of the job. But I get what you’re saying, you just want him to recharge his batteries so he's not so beaten'' ''do you ever work yourself like that?'' I asked looking into his light brown eyes.

He nodded ''sometimes'' ''why do you do it?'' ‘‘It’s easier to deal with physical pain than the one in our hearts'' he looked down at his plate away from my eyes. I felt the tears slip from my eyes as I remembered Smith talking about being an orphan, his nightmares all the pain I’ve seen in his eyes. I sniffled wiping a tear away and taking a long drink from my juice. ‘‘He talks to me but he doesn’t tell me everything, I see it in his eyes. I think he does this on purpose. He hides it under smiles and tells me he's fine. How can you be fine if you’re gushing blood and you can barely pick up your son?''
♠ ♠ ♠
hope ya'll like it <3 thanks for reading.