Status: in progress

Outcast

Chapter 2

For a few weeks after her parents’ announcement, there was a quiet calmness around Amanda’s life at home; an eerie feeling - under current circumstances - that made it seem as if nothing had changed, and nothing was ever likely to.
Life went on as normal, and before long, the end of year school holidays appeared.

At the same time, Jack Frost arrived with his bitter winds: his icy touch forcing anyone daring, or silly enough to brave the winter weather, to wrap up in their warmest clothes.
Most people spent their time indoors, with their heaters turned up and their blinds pulled down.

Students like Amanda, at the North Baton Rouge Secondary School (known as the NBR, like its basketball team), however, were allowed no exceptions just because of the freezing weather.

That means that by the last day of term, even the teenagers left with the most depressing report cards were dancing through the gates.
Holidays were here, which meant massive teenage parties, Christmas vacations, and just having fun in general - for most people... which didn’t include Amanda.

She had to be at home as soon as possible, because as it happened, today was the day when Amanda and her family were leaving the town that she had finally begun to know.

Over the previous weeks, Amanda had kept her promise, and her cool, about the move, but this was partly thanks to the brand-new guitar her parents had given her.
She supposed it to be a bit of a bribe - trying to keep her happy… but, hey, it was working.
She couldn’t care less, anyway - come what may, she still had Moonshine and her music, at least.

This is what Amanda tried to keep in mind all of the long, boring drive out of Louisiana, through Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky; and finally, the last few hours travelling through Ohio, to the town where Mr. Pearson was to work; Hamilton.
The countryside changed a little, but the bitter winter chill held its course as the miles rolled slowly past.

Many long, boring hours later, Amanda was almost asleep when the car ground to a halt.
She mumbled incoherently at her parents, without moving from where she was curled up on the back seat of her parent’s SUV.

“We’re here, Amanda.” her mother answered, glancing tiredly around from the front. “There are beds inside, if you just wanted to grab some blankets out of that box.” She motioned to a box beside Amanda on the rear seats, as Amanda’s father got out of the car. “We’ll unpack the rest in the morning.”

“Sure, whatever.” Amanda murmured, not really listening.

She grabbed Moonshine’s cage and the box her mother had pointed out, and stumbled sleepily up to the front of their new house.
She didn’t even look around until she was inside, quickly finding the largest empty bedroom and putting together a bed that she soon climbed into, curling up like her sleepy pet rat.
Within minutes, the household was asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry, a really short one this time, but i had the chapters set up already when i wrote it so... deal.
the interesting bit is coming up soon, i promise!