Watch You Fall

one.

rileigh greyson.
I let my arms stretch above my head, a small smile on my lips as I felt the light breeze moving my hair. My tank top rode up ever so slightly, and I tugged it down as I glanced at the familiar beach house. Saying I was happy to be here and not cooped up in my car anymore would be an understatement. The long hours from Show Low, Arizona to Santa Monica, California had been more than enough to spend in my car – even if I did love the mustang my parents had bought me as a graduation present.

After hearing a car door shut, I turned my head to the large truck that had pulled in after me, flashing Kennedy Brock a smile. He grinned lightly in return, no doubt happy to have finally arrived as well.

“Where’s our parents?” I questioned curiously, resting my left hand on my hip.

Kennedy shrugged, “I dunno’. They’re probably somewhat close. You know how slow they drive.”

I simply nodded my head, looking back towards the house. The one neither of us had the key to; which meant we’d be sitting out here for a while until our parents made it.

The beach house was owned by both of our dad’s, who’d been friends since they were about my age. It wasn’t too huge, but it wasn’t small either. It had a large kitchen downstairs, which I loved, with granite countertops and dark brown flooring, the cupboards a few shades lighter than the floor. The living room was pretty big as well, with creamy white walls and light brown sofas and couches. There was a bathroom down the hall from the living room, and there were large, glass sliding doors in the living room that led to the backyard.

There were four bedrooms total, all four of them upstairs. The two larger ones had their own bathrooms, and those were the ones our parents stayed in. The other two bedrooms weren’t as big, but they were still a good size, each with a walk in closet. There was a bathroom in between both rooms, with a door on either side to connect it to the rooms. The bathroom would be the one shared between Kennedy and myself.

We’d always come out here every once in a while, but never had both of our families spent a vacation here at the same time. It wasn’t that our parents had never wanted to; it had simply never worked out with their working schedules. This year though, they’d all planned to do their work from here so we could all come together.

Deciding that it’d be a while longer for my parents to get here I walked over to the steps that led to the porch and sat, staring out at nothing in particular.

It wasn’t much longer after Kennedy and I had arrived when we heard my dad’s Tahoe pulling in. Our parents had all chosen to ride in one car together in order to save gas, but both Kennedy and I had opted to bring our own cars. They had decided to let us, knowing that we’d want to do some exploring on our own.

I was actually surprised they didn’t just make Kennedy and I drive in one of our cars together. They had always wanted us to get along, and we did. Just, not as much, or as often, as they wanted us to.

It’s not like I could help arguing with him though. He always knew exactly how to push my buttons and pick fights with me. And of course, me being me, I’d fight right back. I wasn’t one to back down from an argument.

“Geeze,” I stated as I stood, wiping my butt off, “you’re supposed to go the speed limit dad. Not under it.”

My dad chuckled, shaking his head at me, “Rileigh, we weren’t that long.”

My mom climbed out of the car, dangling the keys to the house in front of me. “Here’s the keys, go open up.”

I grabbed them instantly, letting my feet carry me back towards the door. By the time I had stuck the key in the hole and unlocked the door Kennedy was already walking past me, carrying various suitcases into the living room.

I left the keys dangling in the door, heading back to my car to grab my bags. It would take me a while to get them all inside and upstairs in my bedroom, considering I’d brought the majority of my wardrobe. Shoes, makeup, clothes, you name it. I’d brought basically all of it. I knew I’d end up buying clothes here, but I always brought this much stuff. Whether it was a three day getaway or an entire summer, I always brought a shit load of my things.

My mom nagged me about bringing so much stuff and I had simply replied by saying that I was a girl and needed it all. To which she laughed and shook her head at.

I popped the trunk to my car, heading around to start lugging everything inside. I was barely beginning to grab one of the larger suitcases when a pair of arms reached in and grabbed it before I could reach it. I whipped my head to the side, almost colliding with Kennedy’s shoulder.

“I’ll help ya take these up there.” He stated, leaving no room for me to argue before he shot me a smile and grabbed another suitcase, carrying one in each hand as he walked away.

I stared after him, biting back a grin. It was times like these when I enjoyed his company. He could be the sweetest guy when he actually felt like being nice to me. And I couldn’t lie and say I didn’t like it.

My eyes turned back to the other suitcases in my trunk once Kennedy was out of my view and I pulled two out and began taking them inside. I walked up the stairs slowly and carefully, not in the mood to trip and face plant. It had happened to her before, and it did not feel good in the least.

As I reached the top of the wooden steps, Kennedy walked past me, probably heading back outside.

Once in my bedroom I let my eyes wander around my walls, stopping and letting a small smile cover my lips as I saw the random pictures and posters all over one wall. My large, comfy bed was covered with a turquoise and white chevron striped comforter. In the corner of the room was a large turquoise bean bag by the window, the beach visible through the glass. And to the left of that was the door that led to my closet.

I set the two suitcases down by my bed, beside the other two Kennedy had brought in before I turned and headed out again, leaving the door wide open.

I continued walking, my feet lifting and thudding against the stairs as I bounded down them, ready to go get some more of my belongings.

Image

It was a few hours later when everyone had finally finished getting everything out of all three cars and up to our bedrooms. I had put all of my clothes in my closet, the shoes as well, and put my make-up and other bathroom essentials in the bathroom Kennedy and I would be sharing. My mac was resting on my bean bag, plugged in to an outlet as it charged.

Deciding that that would be enough for today, I grabbed my headphones and phone before I padded out of my bedroom, the kitchen in mind when my stomach growled lowly.

My eyes scanned the kitchen, landing on the fridge almost instantly. I walked over to my target and searched through it, trying to find something to eat. I grinned widely once I saw that mine and Kennedy’s parents had bought an insane amount of fruit. I pulled the raspberries, grapes, and strawberries out of the fridge and set them on the counter next to the bananas.

I rested my headphones on my head as I shuffled the music on my phone, swaying to the beat softly as I washed and cut my fruit up. Once I was content with the amount of fruit in the bowl I began putting everything away, dancing my way through the kitchen. Due to the fact that my volume was quite high, along with the fact that my headphones prevented me hearing anything but the music playing off my phone, I was completely unaware of the boy leaning against the wall, amused at my movements.

When everything was back in its proper place I turned around, still dancing, my eyes widening a tad when they landed on Kennedy and the smirk that was plastered on his face.

“How long have you been there?” I questioned, embarrassed, as I pulled my headphones off and left them around my neck.

“A while.”

I bit my lip as I felt my cheeks redden. Kennedy was still smirking; obviously he found my dancing entertaining. I grabbed my bowl of fruit off the counter and a fork out of the drawer before I began heading out of the kitchen.

“Where are you going?” I heard behind me, “Aren’t you going to continue your dancing?”

I turned around when Kennedy paused, “ I was enjoying myself.” Kennedy’s voice sounded extremely amused and taunting. I shook my head, more so to myself than to him, and continued my way towards my bedroom, chuckling softly.
♠ ♠ ♠
We'll see how this goes. I haven't written in ages, so bear with me.
-Analeise.