Sequel: Until the End

A Forbidden Love

Not As Planned

On the way back to my Dad's room, Mary and I chatted about Matt. I explained to her how we met and how we found out we were supposedly siblings. How the guys all said we looked related and all that jazz and more. Mary was amazed by the fact that my Dad kept a secret from me, refusing to tell me I had an older brother all this time. She was curious to know why he lied to not only me, but her as well, all this time. I was pretty sure he had a good reason for lying, but still. Why?

As we entered into the room, we saw Matt standing by Dad's bed with his hand in Dad's and Dad staring up at Matt in shock. They both looked over at us when they heard the door shut, my Dad's eyes softening and my eyes brimming with tears as I ran towards him. Matt moved out of my way as I ran to hug Dad tightly, Dad held me tightly to his body as the tears spilled over. Matt's hand rubbed my back soothingly.

"Ellie, what are you doing here?" Dad asked as I pulled out of the hug.
"To see you, duh." I smiled slightly. "How are you feeling?" I asked, standing beside Matt.
"Other than a few sore spots, I'm feeling pretty good." Dad smiled, his eyes going over to Matt. I looked up at Matt, who was staring back at Dad. I nudged Matt. "Say something." I whispered so only Matt would hear me.
"Erm, uh. That's good to, uh, hear." Matt stuttered. "Glad that you're okay." He scratched the back of his neck.
"Thanks..son. I'm glad to see you, it's been forever." Dad nodded.
"Yeah, well, that's what happens when you walk out on your family." Matt growled, not looking at Dad.
Dad frowned. "Matthew, I had to go."
"Oh yeah? For what? Why'd you have to take Ellie with you then? I want to hear your side of the story." Matt snapped, glaring up at Dad. I frowned.
"Matt, calm down." I placed my hands on Matt's chest. "Let's go."
"Stop, Ellie. I want to know, I've been wondering since I was 5 years old." Matt yelled.
"Ell, it's fine. I deserve this." Dad said. I frowned.
"Damn right. So answer my questions!" Matt yelled.
"You see, your mother and I were unhappy together. And I never wanted to hurt you guys, but I had to go. I took Ellie with me because I wanted both of you, but you wouldn't leave with me so I took Ellie. I'm so sorry, Matt. I really am."
"What a load of bullshit, Dad. Mom told me differently. You left because you came home stumbling drunk every night and Mom wouldn't let you in the house because of that. It frightened me and Ellie every time. Mom told me once she got you to leave she would find me in the closet, cowering in the corner with Ellie crying in my arms. Even after all that, Mom still loved you but did you care? No, you didn't. You left her for some other chick, taking Ellie with you for the ride." Matt yelled, getting up close to Dad. I grabbed on Matt's arm, pulling him back.
"Matt, please. Can we go now?" I freaked, scared by Matt. "I want to go home now." I begged. I heard Matt sigh then relax, turning to face me as he frowned.
"Yeah, Ell. We can go now, I said my peace." Matt nodded, walking towards the door with me in tow. "Nice talking to you, Dad." Matt said over his shoulder.
"Bye, Dad." I frowned as I gave my Dad a last glance. He was frowning too as he watched us leave.

Well, that didn't go as planned...