Liamnjase

N I N E

Scarlett found out about them when Jase was home sick from school.

She thought it’d be nice if she surprised him with some homemade chicken noodle soup and one of those comedies he loved to watch and that she really didn’t care for because the whole time they made jokes that made her feel just a little uncomfortable. But, Jase had been out for a few days and she wanted him to get back to normal because his grades were already slipping and all this time away from school was just going to kill them even more.

Scarlett paused outside Jase’s bedroom door, listening. The TV was on—she could hear it through the flimsy wood of the door—so Jase was probably awake. Jase’s voice drifting through the air confirmed her thought. Then she heard a voice that didn’t belong to Jase, one that was too high pitched to be Jase’s but too low to be a girl’s, and Scarlett quietly pushed the door open a crack so she could peek inside.

Sitting on the bed cross legged was Liam, looking immaculate as ever, his shirt without a wrinkle and not a single hair out of place. Jase’s head was laying in Liam’s lap, his dark curls sticking to his forehead and his skin a sickly pale color. It was an odd position for the best friends to be in, but Scarlett didn’t think anything of it. At least, until Jase sat up just enough to kiss Liam on the cheek and until Liam told him, “What a wimp,” and to which Jase responded, “Oh, shut up,” and kissed his best friend on the lips.

Scarlett ran out of the house and slammed the front door behind her, not once looking back.