Saving Grace

Green Eyes

I was driving down the country back road, taking the back way to the grocery store. I had run out of pop tarts and was weirdly craving them. I was coming up on Governor’s road, the curviest street in town when my phone vibrated. Taking my eyes off the road for a second, I picked up my phone and saw it was from Liz, my girlfriend. Looking up, I checked to see I hadn’t ran off the road yet and opened the text. Reading the text, I lost focus on my driving and only paid attention to what the text message said, she was breaking up with me. In anger and confusion, I didn’t realize I had speed up and still staring at the message in shock and drove off the road and straight in a telephone pole.

The first thing I woke up to was a pounding migraine and complete lack of recollection of what had happened to me. I looked up to see a towering man in a white lab coat looking thing and hand him shove his hand in my face, stating that his name was Dr. Williams. Cautiously I put my hand in his and we shook hands. Dr. Williams had to explain it to me that I had gotten into a bad accident and a very bad concussion. So bad in fact, that I had short term memory loss or amnesia and I found it to be true, I couldn’t remember the past few weeks or other things that the doctor asked while testing the extent of my memory loss.

Eventually Dr. Williams told me that I had two visitors. He said their names where Liz and John. The girl ran into the room and rushed out a sentence I could barely understand. I just looked at the two bewildered, I couldn’t remember them. The girl was pretty, but seemed rather moody, my thought was confirmed when she huffed at me and ran out. The boy, John, was also pretty and he seemed much kinder.

I shook his head at his question of remembering the two, I felt sad that I didn’t, he seemed very nice and it was almost heartbreaking to see him frown slightly at my movement. I said that it was okay when he apologized for Liz’s behavior. I imagined it to be it difficult to see a friend not remember you.

“So how do we know each other again?” I asked shyly, looking at John.
“We’re seniors at the same high school, we’re friends.” Replied John. I looked hard at him, trying to remember even a vague memory of him. He blinked at me, and it was then that I focused in on his eyes. They where large and green and suddenly familiar.
“Your eyes,” I said, still trying to remember anything that would come to me. “ I-I remember them.” He looked hopeful at this, I probably would be too, if I was in his position. “Are we dating? Have we kissed, I swear I remember those eyes well.” I looked at him as he was a puzzle. Truthfully everything was to me at the moment. I definitely remember those eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoy this.
-Abbi